Strategies for "newer" LGs?

teamvictory

Strategies for "newer" LGs?

Postby teamvictory » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:22 pm

So consensus seems to be that the games in the newest LG sections (since ~June 2010) are becoming less easy to initially categorize and more dependent upon hypotheticals to solve. I'm taking the February 2011 exam. Any recommendations on how to prepare effectively for these newer games?

Thanks!

iwanta170

Re: Strategies for "newer" LGs?

Postby iwanta170 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:28 pm

There's not much you can do..Just be prepared to make hypotheticals quickly and try to gauge which games/questions take longer so you can save time..Sometimes in a very difficult section I occasionally skip around from one game to another and have found this effective

benito

Postby benito » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Ive taken every PT there is now, including all the new ones (except DEC of course) and I just don't get all the hype about "newer" LGs. The same skills that were necessary to tackle all the early games are the same ones I use to do all the new ones. There have always been some games that required a rule based approach or a local condition based approach based on the circumstances of the game. LSAC just comes up with ways to make things APPEAR new or different in an effort to make sure people have a holistic understanding of analytical reasoning and aren't just using memorized strategies. I guarantee you when the Dec PT comes out there will be all kinds of possible inferences there that people missed in the heat of battle. In my humble opinion, the LSAT has barely changed at all in the past ten years, some slightly easier some slightly harder as addressed by the relatively small differences in the curve.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:41 pm

benito wrote:Ive taken every PT there is now, including all the new ones (except DEC of course) and I just don't get all the hype about "newer" LGs. The same skills that were necessary to tackle all the early games are the same ones I use to do all the new ones. There have always been some games that required a rule based approach or a local condition based approach based on the circumstances of the game. LSAC just comes up with ways to make things APPEAR new or different in an effort to make sure people have a holistic understanding of analytical reasoning and aren't just using memorized strategies. I guarantee you when the Dec PT comes out there will be all kinds of possible inferences there that people missed in the heat of battle. In my humble opinion, the LSAT has barely changed at all in the past ten years, some slightly easier some slightly harder as addressed by the relatively small differences in the curve.

While many may disagree on the difficulty in LG, there is something to be said of new style of games. I agree that LSAC is trying to test analytical reasoning in a purer form, not dumbed down to inferences and plugging. My question is have you written a real LSAT yet? Sometimes when LSAC disguises an inference well (such as stained glass in December), people miss it and that causes them to blow the entire game. If they had figured out the inference or it was given to them explicitly, no one would doubt their ability to complete it with a high level of accuracy.

I think the difficulty is more associated with how to approach games and the heavy-inference type questions that are showing up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”