Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

stilles
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am

Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby stilles » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Given most if not all libraries will be closed until Jan 3, where do most of you plan on going?

thwalls
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby thwalls » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Fail: My bad, didn't realize this was an LSAT thread.

Carry on.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby Pleasye » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:15 pm

stilles wrote:Given most if not all libraries will be closed until Jan 3, where do most of you plan on going?

My room and living room.

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:04 am

I do lots of studying at Starbucks and restaurants. Not as quiet or distraction-free as I'd like, but it works.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 am

vissidarte27 wrote:I do lots of studying at Starbucks and restaurants. Not as quiet or distraction-free as I'd like, but it works.

I always found the people who studied in loud, busy coffee shops interesting. That kind of noise is something you would almost never experience on the real thing, what I did instead is had a tape of pencils scratching, a proctor giving instructions, coughing, feet tapping etc. On test day I didn't notice any noise at all, while others were complaining about our proctors walking around in heels. So to each his own.

framboozer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby framboozer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:53 am

kkklick wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:I do lots of studying at Starbucks and restaurants. Not as quiet or distraction-free as I'd like, but it works.

I always found the people who studied in loud, busy coffee shops interesting. That kind of noise is something you would almost never experience on the real thing, what I did instead is had a tape of pencils scratching, a proctor giving instructions, coughing, feet tapping etc. On test day I didn't notice any noise at all, while others were complaining about our proctors walking around in heels. So to each his own.


Where didja get that? It seems like exactly what I need. Although, not sure why I'm asking. You can download just about anything these days.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:02 am

framboozer wrote:
kkklick wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:I do lots of studying at Starbucks and restaurants. Not as quiet or distraction-free as I'd like, but it works.

I always found the people who studied in loud, busy coffee shops interesting. That kind of noise is something you would almost never experience on the real thing, what I did instead is had a tape of pencils scratching, a proctor giving instructions, coughing, feet tapping etc. On test day I didn't notice any noise at all, while others were complaining about our proctors walking around in heels. So to each his own.


Where didja get that? It seems like exactly what I need. Although, not sure why I'm asking. You can download just about anything these days.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/fr ... nload.html


The mp3 version.

User avatar
robotclubmember
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:00 pm

kkklick wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:I do lots of studying at Starbucks and restaurants. Not as quiet or distraction-free as I'd like, but it works.

I always found the people who studied in loud, busy coffee shops interesting. That kind of noise is something you would almost never experience on the real thing, what I did instead is had a tape of pencils scratching, a proctor giving instructions, coughing, feet tapping etc. On test day I didn't notice any noise at all, while others were complaining about our proctors walking around in heels. So to each his own.


The unknown variable of test day conditions is exactly why I liked to occasionally study in coffee shops. By my estimation, if I could take the test in any circumstances, then I have taken away a lot of uncertainty. The one thing I never did was take PT's at home, because I know I'll never be testing in those circumstances.

Fortunately, I live in Cleveland, which means there is always construction happening somewhere or another. So I could find places near construction to do PT's, do PT's in coffee shops where a group of old out-of-touch tea partiers are blabbing about B. Hussein Obongo (lol) at the table next to me, and do PT's in quiet libraries (or libraries where there are kids screaming or assholes on cell phones). You should vary where you take your PT so that you don't get too comfortable in any one kind of environment. A had a friend who went homeless for a month and kept telling me I needed to give it a try. I told him that was insane because I saw great value in the convenience of one's personal living space, and I just was comfortable at home. He told me to imagine the comfort of being at home, and then imagine what it would be like to have that comfort anywhere. He insisted that I could attain that (or something close to it) by going homeless for a month. "Imagine what it would be like to feel like you are home anywhere?"

Needless to say, I never did that because it's insane, but it was a good impulse. I guess what I'm saying is, you could apply that concept to the LSAT. If you vary where you test, then eventually you will eliminate that variable of uncertain conditions on test day. You will "feel at home" wherever you are taking it, so to speak. You just don't know if there will be construction, noisy proctors, people taking loud shits in the bathroom next to the classroom, lol. That shit rattles you. I know it sounds extreme, but that alone could easily keep you from losing a few points on test day if you are the kind of person who can be rattled or distracted.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby Pleasye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:04 pm

There's a certain point where the noise is going to hurt more than help you. The testing room is never going to sound like a noisy coffee shop with blenders and people talking over them.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:06 pm

FWIW, I did all my studying in the Barnes & Noble coffee shop. I liked it because a lot of people read there, so people just getting coffee and hanging out are usually pretty quiet, making it a little bit distracting, but not as loud as a more boisterous place like Starbucks.

Edit - and in mine, there were like, two parts to the cafe: one with comfy chairs for readers and a few tables, and then the tables near the checkout counter. I studied near the readers.

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Coffee shops/restaurants have been the best option for me thusfar. I travel almost-constantly for work, am often dependent upon public transportation (haven't had a car in the last five cities in which I've been), and can't study at home because home involves a 14-month-old baby and I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing any of those on test day... There's always a Starbucks or something within walking distance, and there's very rarely anything else that is suitable.

That said, I think I'll have access to a car in my next destination, so I'll try to hunt down the public library. I agree, all of the noise at S-bux is distracting (I even bring ear plugs sometimes).

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby Pleasye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:37 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Coffee shops/restaurants have been the best option for me thusfar. I travel almost-constantly for work, am often dependent upon public transportation (haven't had a car in the last five cities in which I've been), and can't study at home because home involves a 14-month-old baby and I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing any of those on test day... There's always a Starbucks or something within walking distance, and there's very rarely anything else that is suitable.

That said, I think I'll have access to a car in my next destination, so I'll try to hunt down the public library. I agree, all of the noise at S-bux is distracting (I even bring ear plugs sometimes).

Yeah, definitely try a public library. I don't think wearing ear plugs is a good idea because you don't want to get used to them.

I can't imagine studying at the Starbucks near my house it's full and REALLY loud at every moment of the day.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Where are most of you studying during this holiday season?

Postby Attorney » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:My room and living room.

Me too!


See you there.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, blackmamba8, cianchetta0, donoto, goldenbear2020, jag9953, NavyNuke, packerboy31489, SiddFinch85, Yahoo [Bot] and 27 guests