Isn't it smarter to go in thinking the LSAT is easy

Adjudicator

Re: Isn't it smarter to go in thinking the LSAT is easy

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:30 am

anonymiB wrote:No, I don't think this. The questions on the LSAT are easy, meaning they are not meant to trick you and if you had a long enough time you could figure out every question on there, and you would not need prior knowledge to do so, you could just read the questions and figure out the answers.

The LSAT is a time test, there are lots of easy questions but you have a little over 1 minute to do each question and lots of reading for each one, so you have to read and make a fast decision for the most part.

I think it trains you to read logical arguments clearly and quickly and make the right decisions on them, obviously a valuable tool for a lawyer.

I PT at about 167, so I may not be the best advisor on TLS, but I know a little about the test, that is all I can really say here, and these are my opinions more than anything else.

I disagree with that. It may be true of some, but others are quite devious and present very tempting "trap" answers.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:35 am

Think that you're going to do your best, because that's the only thing you can truly, honestly believe.

Anything else is a lie.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:24 am

Adjudicator wrote:
anonymiB wrote:No, I don't think this. The questions on the LSAT are easy, meaning they are not meant to trick you and if you had a long enough time you could figure out every question on there, and you would not need prior knowledge to do so, you could just read the questions and figure out the answers.

The LSAT is a time test, there are lots of easy questions but you have a little over 1 minute to do each question and lots of reading for each one, so you have to read and make a fast decision for the most part.

I think it trains you to read logical arguments clearly and quickly and make the right decisions on them, obviously a valuable tool for a lawyer.

I PT at about 167, so I may not be the best advisor on TLS, but I know a little about the test, that is all I can really say here, and these are my opinions more than anything else.

I disagree with that. It may be true of some, but others are quite devious and present very tempting "trap" answers.

Right, there are some easy answers, which in order for upper tier test-takers to gain an advantage from them they need to be solved quickly. As well, there ARE tough questions, a few LR's in PT's I left for after time was up because I knew that with all of the time in the world I still wouldn't be able to have a 100% answer.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:24 pm

I disagree. While freaking out about the test certainly does have a negative effect, going in with too much confidence can be just as bad. You don't want to be scared of the test but at the same time you want to be cautious enough not to under-think questions that you assume are simple.

For the Oct 10 test I was very "jacked up" and excited, full of confidence, and in hindsight I dropped about 5 questions on games and short answers that were simple dumb mistakes. I think during the test I was so full of adrenaline that I subliminally convinced myself I was doing great when I should have slowed down and taken more time. As a result, I scored about 5 points lower than my average PT.

You definitely want to go into the test with a fair amount of confidence that you've rightfully earned through your prep work. But at the same time, you need to have a healthy respect for the material.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”