Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

AshtonB
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby AshtonB » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:55 pm

So here's the deal: I filed a complaint to LSAC about distracting construction noise outside my building while I was writing the Dec. LSAT. They followed up with an offer to write the Feb. test for free. The catch is that I have to cancel my Dec. score. I don't think I did particularly well, but chances are the score will be around 2-5 points higher than my previous best. If I don't cancel the score, then all options will be rescinded.

I know the February LSAT is the worst one to take, and I really don't feel like re-entering study mode again for the next two months, so should I just let the Dec. score go through? Whichever option I take, LSAC also offered to write the schools to which I applied a letter informing them of the adverse circumstances, though not sure if the schools will take that into account at all.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby Sandro » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:08 pm

have you applied to any schools? Are you competitive right now at those schools? Would you be happy attending them? Will those 2-5 possible points be all you want/need? Do you think the risk of not going complete until right before most school's deadlines will still allow you to get in?

A lot more info is needed to take into consideration.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby roranoa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:08 pm

AshtonB wrote:So here's the deal: I filed a complaint to LSAC about distracting construction noise outside my building while I was writing the Dec. LSAT. They followed up with an offer to write the Feb. test for free. The catch is that I have to cancel my Dec. score. I don't think I did particularly well, but chances are the score will be around 2-5 points higher than my previous best. If I don't cancel the score, then all options will be rescinded.

I know the February LSAT is the worst one to take, and I really don't feel like re-entering study mode again for the next two months, so should I just let the Dec. score go through? Whichever option I take, LSAC also offered to write the schools to which I applied a letter informing them of the adverse circumstances, though not sure if the schools will take that into account at all.


Don't be lazy and just take the test again.

I'm thinking that you already thought half way through about canceling your score when you filed that complaint. So just go ahead and cancel it!

Again, don't be lazy. Take the Feb test.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:14 pm

When do you want to enter law school?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby akili » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:16 pm

If you are applying this cycle...keep your score.

AshtonB
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby AshtonB » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Ragged wrote:When do you want to enter law school?


Fall '11.

AshtonB
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby AshtonB » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:50 pm

Sandro777 wrote:have you applied to any schools? Are you competitive right now at those schools? Would you be happy attending them? Will those 2-5 possible points be all you want/need? Do you think the risk of not going complete until right before most school's deadlines will still allow you to get in?

A lot more info is needed to take into consideration.


I'm Canadian, so I applied to all Ontario schools and am in the process of applying to other ones within the country. Most of the schools have said that the Feb. LSAT score will be taken into consideration and that my chances will not be affected. But I'm also going to apply to a handful of U.S. schools, and from what I understand, by the time the Feb. LSAT score is released, most U.S. schools are already mailing out offers.

I don't know if I'm "competitive" considering I don't know my Dec. score yet, but probaly not especially competitive. I would be happy attending any decent at this point (within Canada). The 2-5 points will make me a more viable candidate for some of the schools to which I applied, but not all.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 am

Hey OP I know quite a bit about Canadian law schools what is your GPA looking like and what were you PTing? Also what score are you expecting to get?

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby benito » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am

The February administration isn't the worst one to take unless you're applying in the previous cycle, in which case its only because its too late. I don't know why people assume an undisclosed administration is any harder or otherwise less desirable than a disclosed one. Im sure they could make an LSAT question out of that.....

User avatar
Ford Prefect
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:32 am

What was your previous best?

Even without knowing, I'd probably hold onto the score. If you're confident you've improved, keep it. If this is only your second test, you could still retake in February if you don't like your score. I don't know how the Canadian schools work, but I took the test last February and I think my chances were diminished because I applied so late in the cycle. Even if I'd had my current score in December of the cycle, things would have been massively different (I think).

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 am

If you're dead set on entering Fall '11, I say keep it. Not only will you have to get into study mode again, but it will be extremely late in the cycle and will pretty much force you to wait another year [before applying]. However, if you're not going to be happy and/or competitive at the schools you are applying to, then cancel, retake, and apply next cycle. GL!

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:53 am

+5 points is a big swing up.. It's a tough call but no one wants to take the feb test.. Just sayin

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby Attorney » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:28 am

I say retake. You may not think you did too bad, but I can imagine that you may have missed some subtle things here and there if construction noises were in the background the whole time. It would be a terrible day to get a low LSAT score when you were offered a freebie with a cancel.

Also, the importance of applying early is regularly overstated on TLS. A higher LSAT score is immeasurably more important than applying earlier.

(Then again, it would require less effort to just let the construction site score stand. But don't be lazy!)

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby Jeffort » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:31 am

Since you want to apply this cycle the crucial info for making your decision is where your numbers put you (or will likely put you with the mystery Dec score) RE: the 25th-75th% range of UGPA and LSAT scores of admitted students to the LS's you are applying to.

What score range are we talking here (practice test scores and estimate for Dec test)? We need numbers to offer even half-baked advice. A 2-5 point difference can significantly change your admission chances, depending on what range of possible scores we're talking about and how those compare to the stats of your chosen schools. Also, it's not clear from your posts, do you already have a reported core from another administration or would the Dec test be your first official reported score if you keep it?

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Should I accept LSAC's offer of a free February test?

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:37 pm

What's your previous score? What schools do you want to go to?

With this info I'm sure we can all give you a definitive answer.

Most likely, though I would keep the score, if you think you went up. You can always write the test again in Feb. and just shell out the 150 or whatever it is. In the grand scheme of what your law school debt will be, what's another 150, to get into a better school.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests