Interest Thread: Your STATE School

sophia.olive

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby sophia.olive » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:04 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Concerning California again...

UC Berkeley
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UC Irvine (New!)

I still think it's worth it.

You should make a brochure. I have no qualms with UCLA if it is as high as your numbers wil take you. But you just have to study for one test to escape the UC system.

The enthusiasm for UC Irvine may have been a bit too much on my part.

it was cute

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:04 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
rad law wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Again, thanks for the help, child.

If you have to ask my Cali's failed state status affects its schools and why T25 is not meaningful, you are beyond help, broseph.

If you are in law school and have to troll an LSAT board sniping at people because you are insecure...you aren't worth helping. Enjoy being a douche. I can't wait for your blog about how bad the economy is for law school grads when you flame out miserably in interviews. Hopefully the clickthroughs will pay for your ramen noodles.

coolstorybro.jpg

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:01 pm

fosterp wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:University of Washington; best school in the entire NW and my #1 choice! Please admit me UW.

+1

+2

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:24 pm

kk19131 wrote:University of Pittsburgh

Temple University

I'm also a PA resident.

I want to work in Philly. Ergo, Penn >>> Temple.

you_were_driving

Postby you_were_driving » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:13 am

Bildungsroman wrote:State: Colorado

State law school: University of Colorado

Reasons I wouldn't consider it (in my current position): poor employment prospects, meager financial aid, in-state tuition is only about $8k cheaper, Boulder sucks even though CO is wonderful.

I have no input on your other points, but do you care to elaborate on the last statement?

Aside from the fact that boulder is awesome if you're young, I read TODAY in business week that its one of the best places in colorado to raise a family based on median income/schools/growth/etc.

I'm really just curious to hear your reasoning. You're the first person I've ever heard with any negatives about boulder.

(To clarify: I live hundreds of miles away, just have many friends out there and have made many visits)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:16 am

I wouldn't go to my state school cause its state school. Private schoolin', ftw.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:17 am

CA/Berkeley

Problem is, they didn't want me and their tuition is probably just as expensive as anywhere else.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:26 am

HeavenWood wrote:

Temple University

I'm also a PA resident.

I don't know that this is all that true...

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:46 am

California. UCLA is my dream school, 150k debt be damned! (But seriously, even if by some miracle I got accepted I probably can't afford that)

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:22 pm

kk19131 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Temple University

I'm also a PA resident.

Sure it is. Most Penn students self-select out to NYC, making it not so terrible for the Temple/Villanova/Rutgers-Camden crowd. But those that stay have a huge leg up over the other Philly grads.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:26 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Temple University

I'm also a PA resident.

Sure it is. Most Penn students self-select out to NYC, making it not so terrible for the Temple/Villanova/Rutgers-Camden crowd. But those that stay have a huge leg up over the other Philly grads.

...and you base this on what? ...besides the fact that you'll be attending Penn?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:30 pm

kk19131 wrote:...and you base this on what? ...besides the fact that you'll be attending Penn?

I see what you did there.

My Dad's firm will hire Penn grads below median, but won't touch a Temple grad below top quarter. His firm is also more lenient than most (it's a Midlaw, not a Biglaw).

Temple is an excellent value. There's nothing at all wrong with it, but the fact that Penn grads have an easier time in Philly should not come as a surprise to you.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:32 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:...and you base this on what? ...besides the fact that you'll be attending Penn?

I see what you did there.

My Dad's firm will hire Penn grads below median, but won't touch a Temple grad below top quarter. His firm is also more lenient than most (it's a Midlaw, not a Biglaw).

Temple is an excellent value. There's nothing at all wrong with it, but the fact that Penn grads have an easier time in Philly should not come as a surprise to you.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I simply wanted to know how you could say Penn students "have a huge leg up over the other Philly grads."

I don't know anything about your dad's firm, so I can't say if what you see is representative or not of the market as a whole.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:35 pm

kk19131 wrote:I'm not accusing you of anything. I simply wanted to know how you could say Penn students "have a huge leg up over the other Philly grads."

I don't know anything about your dad's firm, so I can't see if what you see is representative or not of the market as a whole.

It's not representative in the fact that most Philly firms have even stricter hiring practices ITE. I would consider the ability to graduate below median and find a well-paying midlaw gig a huge leg up over top quarter.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:41 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I'm not accusing you of anything. I simply wanted to know how you could say Penn students "have a huge leg up over the other Philly grads."

I don't know anything about your dad's firm, so I can't see if what you see is representative or not of the market as a whole.

It's not representative in the fact that most Philly firms have even stricter hiring practices ITE. I would consider the ability to graduate below median and find a well-paying midlaw gig a huge leg up over top quarter.

Even if I accept what you're saying as true, I don't know how you reach the conclusion that for working in Philly Penn>>>Temple, especially since Temple grads have a MUCH stronger presence in Philly. I mean, maybe for certain big/midlaw jobs Penn students have an advantage, but to say that for working in Philly Penn students have an advantage - I think that's unfounded at best.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:48 pm

kk19131 wrote:Even if I accept what you're saying as true, I don't know how you reach the conclusion that for working in Philly Penn>>>Temple, especially since Temple grads have a MUCH stronger presence in Philly. I mean, maybe for certain big/midlaw jobs Penn students have an advantage, but to say that for working in Philly Penn students have an advantage - I think that's unfounded at best.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying.

Temple grads do alright because most Penn students self-select to NYC. Those grads that seek jobs in Philly have much better employment prospects in Philly than Temple grads.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:56 pm

you_were_driving wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:State: Colorado

State law school: University of Colorado

Reasons I wouldn't consider it (in my current position): poor employment prospects, meager financial aid, in-state tuition is only about $8k cheaper, Boulder sucks even though CO is wonderful.

I have no input on your other points, but do you care to elaborate on the last statement?

Aside from the fact that boulder is awesome if you're young, I read TODAY in business week that its one of the best places in colorado to raise a family based on median income/schools/growth/etc.

I'm really just curious to hear your reasoning. You're the first person I've ever heard with any negatives about boulder.

(To clarify: I live hundreds of miles away, just have many friends out there and have made many visits)

Well, I go to a rival university in Colorado, so I'm obligated to say that Boulder sucks :wink:

Also, I grew up just outside of Boulder, and going back to visit makes me glad that I don't live in Boulder. Too many hippies, too much marijuana culture, too expensive to live in the city itself, lousy traffic, etc. I'm sure the city is nice to live in as a young professional, and it's generally a great region to raise kids, I just personally wouldn't want to live there for 3 years, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that I grew up there.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:00 pm

kk19131 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Even if I accept what you're saying as true, I don't know how you reach the conclusion that for working in Philly Penn>>>Temple, especially since Temple grads have a MUCH stronger presence in Philly. I mean, maybe for certain big/midlaw jobs Penn students have an advantage, but to say that for working in Philly Penn students have an advantage - I think that's unfounded at best.

are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:02 pm

kwais wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence

I'm sure.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:03 pm

kwais wrote:are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence

Disliking Obama makes one stupid? Please, explain to me how that logic works.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:04 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Even if I accept what you're saying as true, I don't know how you reach the conclusion that for working in Philly Penn>>>Temple, especially since Temple grads have a MUCH stronger presence in Philly. I mean, maybe for certain big/midlaw jobs Penn students have an advantage, but to say that for working in Philly Penn students have an advantage - I think that's unfounded at best.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying.

Temple grads do alright because most Penn students self-select to NYC. Those grads that seek jobs in Philly have much better employment prospects in Philly than Temple grads.

I understand exactly what you're saying. I simply don't believe that your anecdote about your father's firm is evidence enough to make the conclusion you did.

Granted, I too believe that Penn student have a leg up in certain instances (namely mid/big law), but I don't know that it's a huge one in every career field in Philly.

We'll just have to disagree, I suppose.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:11 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote:are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence

the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:47 pm

kwais wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.

To be fair, depends on whether you think Obama's definition of "moving forward" is indeed "moving forward."

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:03 pm

rad law wrote:
kwais wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

To be fair, depends on whether you think Obama's definition of "moving forward" is indeed "moving forward."

+1 Not to be fair...to be considered rationale

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”