Interest Thread: Your STATE School

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:34 pm

kwais wrote:the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.


Clearly, you've been engaging the wrong people.

I have heard plenty of dumb conservative arguments against our president, but I've heard just as many dumb liberal arguments in favor of him. It's best to look beyond the likes of Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann (and, of course, those of our peers who draw inspiration from such pundits). :wink:

Rather than analyze the facts, both sides tend to make appeals to emotion.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:15 pm

.
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:25 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote:the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.


Clearly, you've been engaging the wrong people.

I have heard plenty of dumb conservative arguments against our president, but I've heard just as many dumb liberal arguments in favor of him. It's best to look beyond the likes of Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann (and, of course, those of our peers who draw inspiration from such pundits). :wink:

Rather than analyze the facts, both sides tend to make appeals to emotion.


Glenn Beck makes my skin crawl.

As for Keith Olbermann...

--ImageRemoved--

'Ya heard of it?'


http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?cont ... moothing=3

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:26 pm

You know who else went to Cornell?

Ann Coulter.

:lol:

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:46 pm

.
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:13 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13510
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby Flips88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:40 am

kk19131 wrote:You know who else went to Cornell?

Ann Coulter.

:lol:


When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.

Edit: She graduated Michigan in 1988. in the initial 1987 UNSWR Rankings, Michigan was 3rd behind Yale and Harvard.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:48 am

Flips88 wrote:When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.


Inflammatory =/= Dumb

After all, Bill O'Reilly got a 1585 on his SAT.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby NZA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:49 am

Flips88 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:You know who else went to Cornell?

Ann Coulter.

:lol:


When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.

Edit: She graduated Michigan in 1988. in the initial 1987 UNSWR Rankings, Michigan was 3rd behind Yale and Harvard.


I agree with your theory, BUT...there are some pretty crazy smart people out there. :)

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13510
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby Flips88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:04 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Flips88 wrote:When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.


Inflammatory =/= Dumb

After all, Bill O'Reilly got a 1585 on his SAT.


Emphasis added.

framboozer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby framboozer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 am

Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

As far the argument that Temple and Villanova are better than Penn for working in Philly, I definitely agree that it's only because of Penn students' self-selection to NYC. Most students don't go to Penn to be in Philadelphia. However, the difference is that if you are from the Philly area and have strong ties there, you should have no problem proving to a law firm in Philly that you're firmly rooted and have no plans to jump ship to NYC. The fact of the matter is that most students at Penn aren't from Pennsylvania, and it often seems that Penn doesn't want Pennsylvanians, because it doesn't want to look like a state school.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby kk19131 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:43 pm

framboozer wrote:Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

As far the argument that Temple and Villanova are better than Penn for working in Philly, I definitely agree that it's only because of Penn students' self-selection to NYC. Most students don't go to Penn to be in Philadelphia. However, the difference is that if you are from the Philly area and have strong ties there, you should have no problem proving to a law firm in Philly that you're firmly rooted and have no plans to jump ship to NYC. The fact of the matter is that most students at Penn aren't from Pennsylvania, and it often seems that Penn doesn't want Pennsylvanians, because it doesn't want to look like a state school.



Penn State is a public law school.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 pm

kk19131 wrote:
framboozer wrote:Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

As far the argument that Temple and Villanova are better than Penn for working in Philly, I definitely agree that it's only because of Penn students' self-selection to NYC. Most students don't go to Penn to be in Philadelphia. However, the difference is that if you are from the Philly area and have strong ties there, you should have no problem proving to a law firm in Philly that you're firmly rooted and have no plans to jump ship to NYC. The fact of the matter is that most students at Penn aren't from Pennsylvania, and it often seems that Penn doesn't want Pennsylvanians, because it doesn't want to look like a state school.



Penn State is a public law school.


It is and it isn't. It's associated with Penn State, a public university, but there is no difference in in-state tuition (Dickinson used to be a private law school; I'm not sure how much Commonwealth funding it receives, given that Penn State is only "state-related"--IE, not fully public).

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby kk19131 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:03 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
framboozer wrote:Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

As far the argument that Temple and Villanova are better than Penn for working in Philly, I definitely agree that it's only because of Penn students' self-selection to NYC. Most students don't go to Penn to be in Philadelphia. However, the difference is that if you are from the Philly area and have strong ties there, you should have no problem proving to a law firm in Philly that you're firmly rooted and have no plans to jump ship to NYC. The fact of the matter is that most students at Penn aren't from Pennsylvania, and it often seems that Penn doesn't want Pennsylvanians, because it doesn't want to look like a state school.



Penn State is a public law school.


It is and it isn't. It's associated with Penn State, a public university, but there is no difference in in-state tuition (Dickinson used to be a private law school; I'm not sure how much Commonwealth funding it receives, given that Penn State is only "state-related"--IE, not fully public).



Temple and Pitt are both state-related also.

All three are public schools - Penn State just, for whatever reason, doesn't give a discount to in-state students.

At any rate, Penn State is in the middle of nowhere and far away from the jobs, so I have no interest in going there...

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:20 pm

kk19131 wrote:At any rate, Penn State is in the middle of nowhere and far away from the jobs, so I have no interest in going there...


Not Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster jobs, but they aren't exactly in high demand (or supply, for that matter).

chopper
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 am

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby chopper » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Live in NJ, and the only public law school here is Rutgers.

I don't want to go there since the campus for the law school is in Newark or Camden; two of the worst cities in the country.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby delusional » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 pm

kwais wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote:are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence


Disliking Obama makes one stupid? Please, explain to me how that logic works.


the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.


a. That reasoning is flawed because it assumes that a fact that has been true in the past will continue to be true in the future, despite its likelihood to change.

b. That reasoning is flawed because it draws on a sample that is likely too small to be indicative of the larger reality.

c. That reasoning is flawed because it uses subjective judgement.

d. That reasoning is flawed because it resorts to personal attacks, rather than addressing the idea in question.

e. All of the above and more - credited answer

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby delusional » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 pm

chopper wrote:Live in NJ, and the only public law school here is Rutgers.

I don't want to go there since the campus for the law school is in Newark or Camden; two of the worst cities in the country.


I live in NJ and have NO moveability; I'm on the very fringe of possibly commuting to either Manhattan (Columbia, NYU, Fordham - but you knew that) or Philly (you know those too). Because of that, I would be foolish not to consider Rutgers at all. But if I don't get a full ride, it will be hard to justify on any level.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 pm

delusional wrote:
chopper wrote:Live in NJ, and the only public law school here is Rutgers.

I don't want to go there since the campus for the law school is in Newark or Camden; two of the worst cities in the country.


I live in NJ and have NO moveability; I'm on the very fringe of possibly commuting to either Manhattan (Columbia, NYU, Fordham - but you knew that) or Philly (you know those too). Because of that, I would be foolish not to consider Rutgers at all. But if I don't get a full ride, it will be hard to justify on any level.


Rutgers doesn't really give full rides. Seton Hall does (and for some reason, tends to have a better rep in private practice among smaller firms in my experience)

For what it's worth

enigma09
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby enigma09 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:42 pm

delusional wrote:
kwais wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote:are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence


Disliking Obama makes one stupid? Please, explain to me how that logic works.


the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.


a. That reasoning is flawed because it assumes that a fact that has been true in the past will continue to be true in the future, despite its likelihood to change.

b. That reasoning is flawed because it draws on a sample that is likely too small to be indicative of the larger reality.

c. That reasoning is flawed because it uses subjective judgement.

d. That reasoning is flawed because it resorts to personal attacks, rather than addressing the idea in question.

e. All of the above and more - credited answer


:lol:

Get owned kwais.

framboozer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby framboozer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:34 am

kk19131 wrote:
framboozer wrote:Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

As far the argument that Temple and Villanova are better than Penn for working in Philly, I definitely agree that it's only because of Penn students' self-selection to NYC. Most students don't go to Penn to be in Philadelphia. However, the difference is that if you are from the Philly area and have strong ties there, you should have no problem proving to a law firm in Philly that you're firmly rooted and have no plans to jump ship to NYC. The fact of the matter is that most students at Penn aren't from Pennsylvania, and it often seems that Penn doesn't want Pennsylvanians, because it doesn't want to look like a state school.



Penn State is a public law school.


OK OK. So I actually go to Penn State for undergrad, so I should know better how to phrase it. Penn State is public, but the situation with the law school is weird, so as someone already pointed out, there's no such thing as in-state tuition. This takes away any of its appeal, because it really is in the middle of nowhere, and it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 am

framboozer wrote:it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.


Both the UG and the law school are overranked (the law school much more than the UG).

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:44 am

HeavenWood wrote:
framboozer wrote:it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.


Both the UG and the law school are overranked (the law school much more than the UG).


I'd kinda disagree with both of you. Penn is ranked so high for UG for one reason---engineering

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
framboozer wrote:it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.


Both the UG and the law school are overranked (the law school much more than the UG).


I'd kinda disagree with both of you. Penn is ranked so high for UG for one reason---engineering sports


Fixed it for you.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 am

HeavenWood wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
framboozer wrote:it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.


Both the UG and the law school are overranked (the law school much more than the UG).


I'd kinda disagree with both of you. Penn is ranked so high for UG for one reason---engineering sports


Fixed it for you.


Jo Pa is such a great coach/institution.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, dj9i27, JoshLyman13, maybeman and 5 guests