What to do if you have run out of modern PTs?

sam62188

What to do if you have run out of modern PTs?

Postby sam62188 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I have take the LSAT twice: June 2010, Dec 2010
and gone through 2 prep courses: Powerscore and Knewton

At this point I'm pretty tapped out on practice tests and questions. I have taken all the post 2000 tests except for Oct 2010.

I didn't do so hot in the December test and want to give it one last shot. I've been studying since April, so is it best for me to utilize my momentum and do the Feb test? Or wait until June and hope that I forget enough questions, games, and passages?

Background:
GPA: 2.44(Univ), 2.17(LSAC)
LSAT scores: Cancel (June 2010), 154-165(Dec 2010)
Softs: none

3|ink

Re: What to do if you have run out of modern PTs?

Postby 3|ink » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:26 pm

1. Take 5 months from studying to improve your reading speed. This is a problem for most people who struggle to improve on the LSAT. I suggest economics. I personally read Milton Friedman.
2. Start studying again in March for June's test. Re-take old tests if necessary.
3. Pwn June.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I did not find the old PTs significantly different from the modern ones, besides the minor addition of the comparative RC selection. They're certainly not so different that they become unsuitable for use in studying.

I wouldn't have wanted to prep using only the early PTs and have gone into the real test never having seen a new one, but using both during prep was fine.

Buy the old tests, but work on reading speed and comprehension first. Start studying in Jan/Feb. Get the Bibles and go through them, possibly more than once. Take the June LSAT. There's not enough time for real improvement between now and Feb, and with your GPA, you need to really kill the test.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Don't worry about the tests being old, they're much more alike than not alike. With the exception of the two question stimuli, I doubt many people could reliable tell an old LR from a new LR consistently.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:14 pm

2.17, you need to get 165+ to have a shot at a decent school get to work. Start from older tests and gradually move into the newer tests redoing them.

sam62188

Postby sam62188 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:31 pm

3|ink wrote:1. Take 5 months from studying to improve your reading speed. This is a problem for most people who struggle to improve on the LSAT. I suggest economics. I personally read Milton Friedman.
2. Start studying again in March for June's test. Re-take old tests if necessary.
3. Pwn June.

Thanks to all for your input. I think I'll give your suggestion a shot. I feel that I've been doing the same thing for months now and although I have improved drastically, the brute force method has run its course.

I started at a 132, maxed out at a 165. I think a new method might help me get to the low 170's on a consistent basis.

Thanks again everyone, happy holidays.

benito

Postby benito » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm

I think getting to 165 from 132 is pretty damn good.......tells me the brute force method ain't so bad

stilles

Postby stilles » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:08 pm

There is Kaplan 180 (believe they have stopped making it, but the 2008 edition should be available)> I haven't personally used it (yet), but there are mixed reactions about it. All questions are made up by Kaplan staff (great if you're running out of material) and is comprised of the hardest, most ridiculous scenarios possible..appearently.

HTH

mapleleaf

Postby mapleleaf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:03 pm

3|ink wrote:1. Take 5 months from studying to improve your reading speed. This is a problem for most people who struggle to improve on the LSAT. I suggest economics. I personally read Milton Friedman.
3. Pwn June.

Milton Friedman seems like way too clear of a writer to help somebody get better at reading the crappy, unclear passages they put in the recent LSATs. I'd suggest Aristotle's Metaphysics as reading practice instead.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Am presently surprised I haven't read "With that GPA/LSAT you shouldn't even try for law school!". Personally I recommend reading the PS Bibles (LG and LR). I read through the LG one twice and it helped me considerably. Do the old tests if you have to, focusing on speed in finishing the questions, and focusing in on recognizing common wrong answer types. Keep it at 5-6 days a week. GL! (And FWIW I would take some time off to recharge, then go at it full force for June).
Last edited by Revolver066 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

therumpshaker

Postby therumpshaker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:34 am

I'd write in June and use all this advice above plus: Read A LOT and not just complicated reading. You'll have lots of free time between then and now so use it all up by reading EVERYTHING even if it's leisure reading. Read Read Read Read.

sam62188

Postby sam62188 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Revolver066 wrote:Am presently surprised I haven't read "With that GPA/LSAT you shouldn't even try for law school!". Personally I recommend reading the PS Bibles (LG and LR). I read through the LG one twice and it helped me considerably. Do the old tests if you have to, focusing on speed in finishing the questions, and focusing in on recognizing common wrong answer types. Keep it at 5-6 days a week. GL! (And FWIW I would take some time off to recharge, then go at it full force for June).

Im glad that there arn't any posts like that as well. The input I have gotten while posting on these forums have been very positive and helpful.

Many people are suggesting that I read more, that was my initial strategy this summer and I went from average 13-15 pts on RC to 20. Is it best to continue with that trend? RC seems a bit difficult to improve on.

Here's my stats(for my best case thus far) if anyone has any further suggestions:

LR1: 22/25
LR2: 23/26
RC: 20/27
LG: 20/23

Thanks again.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:20 pm

mapleleaf wrote:
3. Pwn June.

Milton Friedman seems like way too clear of a writer to help somebody get better at reading the crappy, unclear passages they put in the recent LSATs. I'd suggest Aristotle's Metaphysics as reading practice instead.

Or Keynes.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:48 am

If you do not have any modern PTs to study on, retake, each new LSAT is a modern PT after all.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”