146 LSAT Score

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:05 am

anonymiB wrote:
cardinals03 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I find it hard to believe that someone could accurately guage how they did on an LSAT after only 20 hours of studying.

I was wondering if the 20 hours included pt's or just studying. I spent 10-15 hours a week on just pt's, but some people might be different. I feel like all that practice allowed me to have a more accurate gauge of my abilities than I had before.


Yeah I am up in the air about it, but I did take a couple practice tests, the June 2007 one where I missed about 20, and another one from a book I bought, and honestly that was about it. It was probably more like 5 hours, I got a much higher score on the second practice test, and on both tests I scored perfect on the LG. So...I missed a lot on the reading comprehension on both, but I felt like I did really good on the RC on the real Dec LSAT because I spent extra time learning how I missed and what type of errors I made on the RC. I did read up on what types of questions were going to be on the LSAT in general, and spent some time looking at other info, so 5 hours of tests and probably 10 hours of looking up other stuff. On average I missed 5 on the LR and 7 on RC when I was finished, and perfect on the LG. I was expecting a high 160 score on the real thing, and thought I was beating that until I hit the terrible LG which I did not bother to prepare for since I was just putting them together in random diagrams on my own, just placing on letter I would assign to something in front of whatever needed to be, in fact I wasn't even using paper too much for many of the questions on the June 2007 LSAT, which is probably why it was a -8 curve, cause that test was really easy, especially the LG. I learned to do a couple diagrams and that was about it, so I shit when I saw the brutal LG on the real test, even the first set of questions on the water company etc threw me off, and I probably missed 2 or 3 from each section in the LG. Was really disappointed, but I flew through the other sections, almost knowing the types of questions and answers they were going to ask before they asked them for each question, so I maybe beat my old -5 and -7, but WOW LG ruined my life, seriously. If I did worse than I think on the other sections and miss 10 or something on the LG, I am going to be at a high 150, not a high 160.

I am a good test taker in general, I basically shot my way through college with a 3.0 gpa without ever studying so I thought I would do at least mediocre on the LSAT, and people I had talked to told me 150 would get me into law school, so I basically took the first test without any dedication or effort during the test on top of the fact. Second time I went in stoked. I hope it worked...

Why dont you take a couple years off and grow up a little. You could save yourself a lot of pain. You will not get into a good school with anything less than a 170.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:16 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Feel free to not answer this, but I was wondering what you were getting on your PT's and how strictly you were timing them. You already noted that you were using sketch paper or something. Its just not particularly normal to jump twenty points, especially after not putting in a whole lot of time. I know I sound discouraging, but Im curious. I know a lot of people taking or who have taken this test, and have taken it very seriously. 20 points is almost an unheard of jump.


+19 here. But it took 4 months of study to improve


But on the first test I took where I got the 146 I really knew nothing at all of the test, getting 25 or 30 more correct when you know the question types and LG's is not that surprising, even if I didn't know every one of them. Assuming I got 80% of the test questions right I am going to do well, but then again I flopped the LG on this one, so that could drastically lower my score, and I was expecting a perfect LG to pull a great score.

And thank you for the Emory advice, a 3 an a 165 might do it? At least top 25 if 22 doesnt work lol, that would be nice.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:16 pm

bport hopeful wrote:You could get into a tier 1 with a 165. A 166 would get you into Emory which is #22. LSAT means a lot.


The money thing is another thing we are talking abotu here, one guy said I will get in but no money, and tier 2 with 100k in debt...not worth it from what I hear because jobs can be tough to find unless you are in the top 10% of your class. So, yeah, good advice on here guys, I will try not to ignore it and take good advice when I hear it.

User avatar
robotclubmember
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:24 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
anonymiB wrote:
cardinals03 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I find it hard to believe that someone could accurately guage how they did on an LSAT after only 20 hours of studying.

I was wondering if the 20 hours included pt's or just studying. I spent 10-15 hours a week on just pt's, but some people might be different. I feel like all that practice allowed me to have a more accurate gauge of my abilities than I had before.


Yeah I am up in the air about it, but I did take a couple practice tests, the June 2007 one where I missed about 20, and another one from a book I bought, and honestly that was about it. It was probably more like 5 hours, I got a much higher score on the second practice test, and on both tests I scored perfect on the LG. So...I missed a lot on the reading comprehension on both, but I felt like I did really good on the RC on the real Dec LSAT because I spent extra time learning how I missed and what type of errors I made on the RC. I did read up on what types of questions were going to be on the LSAT in general, and spent some time looking at other info, so 5 hours of tests and probably 10 hours of looking up other stuff. On average I missed 5 on the LR and 7 on RC when I was finished, and perfect on the LG. I was expecting a high 160 score on the real thing, and thought I was beating that until I hit the terrible LG which I did not bother to prepare for since I was just putting them together in random diagrams on my own, just placing on letter I would assign to something in front of whatever needed to be, in fact I wasn't even using paper too much for many of the questions on the June 2007 LSAT, which is probably why it was a -8 curve, cause that test was really easy, especially the LG. I learned to do a couple diagrams and that was about it, so I shit when I saw the brutal LG on the real test, even the first set of questions on the water company etc threw me off, and I probably missed 2 or 3 from each section in the LG. Was really disappointed, but I flew through the other sections, almost knowing the types of questions and answers they were going to ask before they asked them for each question, so I maybe beat my old -5 and -7, but WOW LG ruined my life, seriously. If I did worse than I think on the other sections and miss 10 or something on the LG, I am going to be at a high 150, not a high 160.

I am a good test taker in general, I basically shot my way through college with a 3.0 gpa without ever studying so I thought I would do at least mediocre on the LSAT, and people I had talked to told me 150 would get me into law school, so I basically took the first test without any dedication or effort during the test on top of the fact. Second time I went in stoked. I hope it worked...

Why dont you take a couple years off and grow up a little. You could save yourself a lot of pain. You will not get into a good school with anything less than a 170.


Sad but true.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:28 pm

OP, out of curiosity, why do you want to go to law school?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:31 pm

take time and study for at least 4 months. Think of it like a second full time job. If you are willing to put that much effort and dedication into lsat prep, then you should see some improvement, and get a score that will get you into a good school and possibly in with money. Apply next cycle. Dont take the test without studying. There are no slackers in Law School, and this test is too important ( as you know). You still have one more test you can sit for, without having to petition a school. Good luck

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby krad » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:39 pm

northwood wrote:take time and study for at least 4 months. Think of it like a second full time job. If you are willing to put that much effort and dedication into lsat prep, then you should see some improvement, and get a score that will get you into a good school and possibly in with money. Apply next cycle. Dont take the test without studying. There are no slackers in Law School, and this test is too important ( as you know). You still have one more test you can sit for, without having to petition a school. Good luck


+ 1

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:45 pm

nygrrrl wrote:OP, out of curiosity, why do you want to go to law school?


Easy ride, free money, 15 hour work week, LOL, who wouldn't? Because I don't want to make 17k a year working for a restaurant, and it feels like a job with some value to it. Those are about the only reasons why.

I know studying for 20 hours isn't going to give me a 170, unless I got real lucky, but still, I was a lot better off the second exam, and I had no idea this kind of website existed where people studied for hours a day for 4 months or something. You could probably learn a whole lot in that time if you wanted to put hours a day into something, people write thesis statements for a master's degree in 4 months. So with that kind of studying just for the entrance exam, you are sure to do well, assuming you take the real PTs and utilize your time.

I have never put that much time into anything, aside from making a short film once and my WOW characters, so. It would be the greatest achievement of my life and I would expect a perfect score. Hopefully I could do that in a month if I really devoted tons of time to it, maybe two at the most. 4 months would make you LSAT GOD

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 pm

That's what I thought. Nice little troll...

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm interested to see what OP gets now.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 pm

nygrrrl wrote:That's what I thought. Nice little troll...


I don't think this makes me a troll, these are serious questions, and what I believe. I may be wrong, and I may have done terribly on my second exam, and the only way to score a 170 may be with a lot of work, but I still think my score will be above 160. Good enough for state, although after looking at all these posts it seems like the only way to get a BigLaw job is to attend a T-14. Maybe I will retake if I didn't do so great, and maybe I could spend another year taking easy college classes to raise my GPA. I didn't know lsac calculated your gpa for you, and I thought the major you had meant something, not just the gpa. So...i have really learned a lot of things here, thank you guys all for this information.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:17 pm

OP, the 146 is bad, but its not the end of the world. You're going to be shut out at the most elite schools even with a 180, but if you REALLY study hard, you can do better and get into great schools.

I am a little troubled by the fact that you said you studied for about 20 hours for this December retake. I think unless you get a 170+ on your December test, you need to retake a third time. I always tell people to retake the LSAT if they didn't try their hardest or study their best, unless they got a crazy good score. 20 hours is really not very much studying for this thing. Even if you were to manage a 160+ on the December exam, you could probably improve that score at least another 6-8 points with really rigorous studying.

This is the most important you have ever taken in your life to this point, and arguably the most important you'll ever take. A few points can radically change your employment prospects. Do not sell yourself short by taking the easy way out and not working as hard as you can!

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Attorney » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:20 pm

anonymiB wrote:I have never put that much time into anything, aside from making a short film once and my WOW characters

Classic!

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Attorney wrote:
anonymiB wrote:I have never put that much time into anything, aside from making a short film once and my WOW characters

Classic!

Yes, that was the line that solidified it for me, as well.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:23 pm

anonymiB wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:OP, out of curiosity, why do you want to go to law school?

Easy ride, free money, 15 hour work week, LOL, who wouldn't? Because I don't want to make 17k a year working for a restaurant, and it feels like a job with some value to it. Those are about the only reasons why.


Really disappointed I posted a serious response without reading this.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
anonymiB wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:OP, out of curiosity, why do you want to go to law school?

Easy ride, free money, 15 hour work week, LOL, who wouldn't? Because I don't want to make 17k a year working for a restaurant, and it feels like a job with some value to it. Those are about the only reasons why.


Really disappointed I posted a serious response without reading this.

It's OK Romo - we all get rolled, now and then. And I thought your response was lovely.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby TheOcho » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Even if you scored a 165 on the retake, your chances at schools in the T40 aren't awesome by any means. $ is even more unlikely.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:28 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Really disappointed I posted a serious response without reading this.

It's OK Romo - we all get rolled, now and then. And I thought your response was lovely.

True, it was lovely. Just unbefitting of a troll like this one. And I do hate getting rolled.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
anonymiB wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:OP, out of curiosity, why do you want to go to law school?

Easy ride, free money, 15 hour work week, LOL, who wouldn't? Because I don't want to make 17k a year working for a restaurant, and it feels like a job with some value to it. Those are about the only reasons why.


Really disappointed I posted a serious response without reading this.


Thank you for your response, I was just joking there. Good information, but is a 165 really that much worse than a 170?

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:rolled.

<3

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm

anonymiB wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
anonymiB wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:OP, out of curiosity, why do you want to go to law school?

Easy ride, free money, 15 hour work week, LOL, who wouldn't? Because I don't want to make 17k a year working for a restaurant, and it feels like a job with some value to it. Those are about the only reasons why.


Really disappointed I posted a serious response without reading this.


Thank you for your response, I was just joking there. Good information, but is a 165 really that much worse than a 170?


Its like the difference between Chevy Nova and a Ferrari. lol at the 15 hour week.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm not happy that I put time into serious and helpful responses for this joke thread?

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:48 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I'm not happy that I put time into serious and helpful responses for this joke thread?

Invest in a troll-detector for Christmas.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Haha. I just thought the OP was super arrogant/ignorant. 20+ point jump without studying.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:03 pm

anonymiB wrote:Thank you for your response, I was just joking there. Good information, but is a 165 really that much worse than a 170?

Yes. The 170s even spit on my 168.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests