146 LSAT Score

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:55 pm

I took the LSAT without knowing what kind of questions were going to be on it. If I study and retake and do well, at least 160+, will this low score keep me out of being admitted to a good school?

To add: I studied for about 20 hours or so and retook the December 2010 LSAT, but jeez! were those LG questions long and hard. My god...I think I did better than 160 but I can not be sure. If I have to take a third time what happens?
Last edited by anonymiB on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Sandro » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 pm

No

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby kkklick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Depends on your definition of good law school. But it has been purported that a high LSAT "sweeps" a lower score under the rug so to speak. Although quite a few schools do average. Definately a bad move writing the LSAT with absolutely no idea of what kind of questions you'll see, that's just asking for a sub-par score. Be better prepared and you should be fine.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Ragged » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:02 pm

I think the 146 will keep you out of the very top schools, but you can still get into a pretty good school with a 165+ or so, depending on your GPA.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Ragged » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:02 pm

anonymiB wrote:I took the LSAT without knowing what kind of questions were going to be on it. If I study and retake and do well, at least 160+, will this low score keep me out of being admitted to a good school?

To add: I studied for about 20 hours or so and retook the December 2010 LSAT, but jeez! were those LG questions long and hard. My god...I think I did better than 160 but I can not be sure. If I have to take a third time what happens?


Same answer.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Attorney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:29 pm

anonymiB wrote:I took the LSAT without knowing what kind of questions were going to be on it.

Image

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Ragged wrote:I think the 146 will keep you out of the very top schools, but you can still get into a pretty good school with a 165+ or so, depending on your GPA.


What do you mean by a pretty good school, like a Top 40 school? Top 25?

User avatar
cardinals03
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby cardinals03 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:16 pm

I would not mention the fact that you winged the LSAT to any schools you apply to....

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:52 pm

I find it hard to believe that someone could accurately guage how they did on an LSAT after only 20 hours of studying.

User avatar
cardinals03
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby cardinals03 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:56 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I find it hard to believe that someone could accurately guage how they did on an LSAT after only 20 hours of studying.

I was wondering if the 20 hours included pt's or just studying. I spent 10-15 hours a week on just pt's, but some people might be different. I feel like all that practice allowed me to have a more accurate gauge of my abilities than I had before.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:59 pm

Yeah, I felt like I completely understudied. But I still spent about 6 go 8 hours a week doing PTs. I feel like most people study 20 hours a week leading up to the LSAT.

Anyway, regardless of your ability or inability to guage yourself, I really dont think 20 hours would bump you 15 points or more. Most people never go up that much, regardless of how much they study.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:01 am

anonymiB wrote:
Ragged wrote:I think the 146 will keep you out of the very top schools, but you can still get into a pretty good school with a 165+ or so, depending on your GPA.


What do you mean by a pretty good school, like a Top 40 school? Top 25?


It all depends on your GPA and the higher LSAT score. With 3.8+, 172+ on the retake and a good addendum for the lower score schools in T6 range are not out of the question I suppose, but that addendum better be stellar.

Use law school predictor to get a feel what stats you need for schools in a certain range.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 am

cardinals03 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I find it hard to believe that someone could accurately guage how they did on an LSAT after only 20 hours of studying.

I was wondering if the 20 hours included pt's or just studying. I spent 10-15 hours a week on just pt's, but some people might be different. I feel like all that practice allowed me to have a more accurate gauge of my abilities than I had before.


Yeah I am up in the air about it, but I did take a couple practice tests, the June 2007 one where I missed about 20, and another one from a book I bought, and honestly that was about it. It was probably more like 5 hours, I got a much higher score on the second practice test, and on both tests I scored perfect on the LG. So...I missed a lot on the reading comprehension on both, but I felt like I did really good on the RC on the real Dec LSAT because I spent extra time learning how I missed and what type of errors I made on the RC. I did read up on what types of questions were going to be on the LSAT in general, and spent some time looking at other info, so 5 hours of tests and probably 10 hours of looking up other stuff. On average I missed 5 on the LR and 7 on RC when I was finished, and perfect on the LG. I was expecting a high 160 score on the real thing, and thought I was beating that until I hit the terrible LG which I did not bother to prepare for since I was just putting them together in random diagrams on my own, just placing on letter I would assign to something in front of whatever needed to be, in fact I wasn't even using paper too much for many of the questions on the June 2007 LSAT, which is probably why it was a -8 curve, cause that test was really easy, especially the LG. I learned to do a couple diagrams and that was about it, so I shit when I saw the brutal LG on the real test, even the first set of questions on the water company etc threw me off, and I probably missed 2 or 3 from each section in the LG. Was really disappointed, but I flew through the other sections, almost knowing the types of questions and answers they were going to ask before they asked them for each question, so I maybe beat my old -5 and -7, but WOW LG ruined my life, seriously. If I did worse than I think on the other sections and miss 10 or something on the LG, I am going to be at a high 150, not a high 160.

I am a good test taker in general, I basically shot my way through college with a 3.0 gpa without ever studying so I thought I would do at least mediocre on the LSAT, and people I had talked to told me 150 would get me into law school, so I basically took the first test without any dedication or effort during the test on top of the fact. Second time I went in stoked. I hope it worked...

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:20 am

I dont mean to sound negative, but this is as straight forward as I can say this. I don't know if you would get into a tier two school with a 3.0 and a 150. If you get in the high 150s you could still make a TT school. Honestly, if you are a smart kid, you may want to just wait a cycle, take a prep course and crush the thing. You're life will be easier for it. Im looking at a 3.1 and a 3.2 and my LSAT score is keeping me in contention at tier one schools. Good luck though.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:23 am

bport hopeful wrote:I dont mean to sound negative, but this is as straight forward as I can say this. I don't know if you would get into a tier two school with a 3.0 and a 150. If you get in the high 150s you could still make a TT school. Honestly, if you are a smart kid, you may want to just wait a cycle, take a prep course and crush the thing. You're life will be easier for it. Im looking at a 3.1 and a 3.2 and my LSAT score is keeping me in contention at tier one schools. Good luck though.


I hope to score in the high 160's, heck, if I did better than normal on the easy seeming RC and LR, and didn't miss as many on the LG as I think, or got a bit lucky, I could roll a high 160 or even 170? Idk...but ty for the advice.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 am

3.0 and a 146 is not looking good. Your best bet would be to take a year off to study your hardest for the LSAT and get a 175+.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:29 am

Ragged wrote:3.0 and a 146 is not looking good. Your best bet would be to take a year off to study your hardest for the LSAT and get a 175+.


That is assuming I did equally poorly on the retake in Dec 2010, I am sure I did at least a 160 honestly, I do not think I could have missed more than 28-30.

I was also planning that by the way, was maybe going to retake in Feb and study for the next month and a half or whatever and take, learn everything about the test. I was hoping to get my scores back fast so I wouldn't have to worry, because I could have done very well, I still do not know.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:30 am

Feel free to not answer this, but I was wondering what you were getting on your PT's and how strictly you were timing them. You already noted that you were using sketch paper or something. Its just not particularly normal to jump twenty points, especially after not putting in a whole lot of time. I know I sound discouraging, but Im curious. I know a lot of people taking or who have taken this test, and have taken it very seriously. 20 points is almost an unheard of jump.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:40 am

bport hopeful wrote:Feel free to not answer this, but I was wondering what you were getting on your PT's and how strictly you were timing them. You already noted that you were using sketch paper or something. Its just not particularly normal to jump twenty points, especially after not putting in a whole lot of time. I know I sound discouraging, but Im curious. I know a lot of people taking or who have taken this test, and have taken it very seriously. 20 points is almost an unheard of jump.


Well, on my June 2007 test I missed about 20, I took the reading comprehension in parts because I was staggering through it and it seemed like a lot of reading with too easy questions. Definitely where I missed the most, I flew through the LR on all my tests but I always missed some. The first time I took the lsat I was stunned, I really had no idea how much reading was on that test. I thought it was a math test or something. I mean I knew nothing, so I went in there confused and I had to drive over an hour and a half to get to the testing site just to take it and I only slept a few hours the night before. I guessed about 1/3 of the questions on the test. I mean I bombed it outright. On the June 2007 practice I was fast on LR and a little behind time on the RC, I finished in 40 minutes, so I knew I would have to get better, and I missed 10 questions on that section, or maybe 12, I dont remember exactly but I did really bad. Missed a few on LR and finished those in 25 minutes. Finished the LG also in 40 minutes, but got a perfect score and I zoned out for a while when I was doing it.

On my second practice test which I got out of a non lsat book, a Kaplan book, I got a perfect on the LG in about 15 minutes. It was ridiculously easy. So after two perfects and a really quick time I thought I had it. I was trying to gauge my natural ability without really watching the time too much, to learn the questions more than fly through them like a pro, you know, especially on the first test. I pushed myself a little harder on the second, the one from Kaplan. But the RC on the Kaplan seemed long as crap and hard as crap also and I still missed several, maybe 8 or 7 IDK, and the LR were cake, I got a 92% on one of the Kaplan quick tests that has only 40 questions, 10 from each section, and I did that the night before the test, so I thought I was owning. And the real LSAT felt easy when I was there, I knew the question types, I cant remember them great now but I felt like I had a good grasp on what type of RC questions there were, and the LR seemed easy again, the first section was harder than the last. And I was stumped by the RC, because I had the LSAT with two RC's, the second one when I got to Jewett I think I was in my 5 minute border zone, but Jewett seemed easy enough. If I missed less than 7 I was going to be happy, and with -5 on the other two LR I thought I was going to pull a near 170 with a decent curve. That was my dream, didn't know if it was going to happen, just knew I had to beat that damn 146. But man, was I out of it when I took the 146, so I am hoping for a big jump here.

But the LG in my second real LSAT, omg, at the first set of questions I felt like I had thrown away all the good I had done in the previous sections, I was on the 3rd question there after about 7 minutes into the test or something, maybe on the 4th, so I skipped to the stained glass, which wasn't so hard, but seemed like there too many ins and outs. The conferences game was also a pain in the butt, too many possibilities it seemed, and by the time I got to the extremely easy 4th game I was at 5 minutes and had a few in the game 3 still left. So I just pwned the 4th game, probably still missed a couple on it, and guessed 3 on the 3rd game. I probably missed 10 on the LG, maybe less if I got lucky with some correct answers.

That is my case. Your opinions are more than welcome.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:06 am

anonymiB wrote:
Ragged wrote:3.0 and a 146 is not looking good. Your best bet would be to take a year off to study your hardest for the LSAT and get a 175+.


That is assuming I did equally poorly on the retake in Dec 2010, I am sure I did at least a 160 honestly, I do not think I could have missed more than 28-30.

I was also planning that by the way, was maybe going to retake in Feb and study for the next month and a half or whatever and take, learn everything about the test. I was hoping to get my scores back fast so I wouldn't have to worry, because I could have done very well, I still do not know.


The problem is that even a 165 is not really good enough to go to a "good" law school with your GPA. You would be forced to attend a "not-so-good" law school paying sticker, or a "bad" law school with some scholarship. Neither of those are particulary good courses of action in this economy.

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:20 am

Ragged wrote:
anonymiB wrote:
Ragged wrote:3.0 and a 146 is not looking good. Your best bet would be to take a year off to study your hardest for the LSAT and get a 175+.


That is assuming I did equally poorly on the retake in Dec 2010, I am sure I did at least a 160 honestly, I do not think I could have missed more than 28-30.

I was also planning that by the way, was maybe going to retake in Feb and study for the next month and a half or whatever and take, learn everything about the test. I was hoping to get my scores back fast so I wouldn't have to worry, because I could have done very well, I still do not know.


The problem is that even a 165 is not really good enough to go to a "good" law school with your GPA. You would be forced to attend a "not-so-good" law school paying sticker, or a "bad" law school with some scholarship. Neither of those are particulary good courses of action in this economy.


a 165 will get me into my state school, which is free, and I know it will get me into somewhere decent with some money, I have looked at the 75% on most schools and this is well above it. Assuming I get a 165, I could get a 160, a 158 or a 170, who knows. Those are all 3 very different numbers. Speculation will not help at this point, but I have heard a 165 will get you into a top 50 program with a little money to some. May have to go second tier for some money, and retake in June? I don't know, then transfer, IDK

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby Attorney » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:37 am

anonymiB wrote:a 165 will get me into my state school, which is free

Which state school is free?

anonymiB
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby anonymiB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:55 am

Attorney wrote:
anonymiB wrote:a 165 will get me into my state school, which is free

Which state school is free?


Kentucky, with financial aid, almost free, very cheap

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 am

bport hopeful wrote:Feel free to not answer this, but I was wondering what you were getting on your PT's and how strictly you were timing them. You already noted that you were using sketch paper or something. Its just not particularly normal to jump twenty points, especially after not putting in a whole lot of time. I know I sound discouraging, but Im curious. I know a lot of people taking or who have taken this test, and have taken it very seriously. 20 points is almost an unheard of jump.


+19 here. But it took 4 months of study to improve

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 146 LSAT Score

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:54 am

You could get into a tier 1 with a 165. A 166 would get you into Emory which is #22. LSAT means a lot.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: greatspirit, RPlatt85, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests