Veritas

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

3|ink

Re: Veritas

Postby 3|ink » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:20 pm

This is terrible.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Didn't someone say on here once that the only reason Plato is regarded so highly is because his teachings didn't directly contradict the religious agenda and so while most of the other stuff was destroyed his works survived... I could be wrong though cause I actually majored in something useful.

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Re: LSAT Curve Predetermined? I think Not

Postby Kabuo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Plato's Thoughts wrote:
kkklick wrote:
suspicious android wrote:
Plato's Thoughts wrote:FYI: Western Philosophy started with Plato, including political science and the concept of democracy, which Plato advocated in the "Laws".

lol, every single part of this sentence is wrong, well done.

Western Philosophy was well one its way before Plato, e.g., Thales, the Pythagoreans, Heraclitus, Socrates, etc.

The father of political science is widely regarded to be Aristotle, and political thought in general had of course been well developed for hundreds of years before either of them.

Democracy existed a couple hundred years before Plato, and in his dialogue Laws, he does not describe anything resembling a democracy.

Just further evidence of the fact that you should never make unsubstantiated claims on TLS, someone will call you out on it.

By started, I meant put it into a coherent system that made it through history...My sentence is correct. Your wrong about Aristotle and obviously you haven't read the Laws... Following the Statesmen, where Plato completely argues for a Democracy, in the Laws Plato explains that human nature won’t allow for a state where justice is fully present, so he suggests a state that takes into account human flaws and argues that, in practice, a well-governed city is one where a democracy is present and moderation can be observed. If you fully read Plato's cannon, you might figure out that he doesn't think that the state he put forth in the Republic was feasible, even though he thought it was a just state, so he advocated a democracy because he thought this was the best way to limit the power of tyrannical rulers. Rookies...

I'm sorry. I swear I only do this to people who are both conceited and wrong. I love the stupid ellipses, unnecessary capitalization, arbitrary comma usage (or lack of it), and the reference to Plato's artillery. But I especially love how you end all this with "Rookies" and another ellipsis.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:50 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Ragged wrote:Didn't someone say on here once that the only reason Plato is regarded so highly is because his teachings didn't directly contradict the religious agenda and so while most of the other stuff was destroyed his works survived... I could be wrong though cause I actually majored in something useful.

--LinkRemoved--

stuffwhitepeoplelike.com wrote:These degrees enable white people to spend four years of their lives reading books, writing papers and feeling great about themselves. It is a known fact that Arts students firmly believe that they are doing you/society a favor by not getting a job and reading Proust. They use this to protest for reduced tuition, more money for the arts, and special reduced student rates on things like bus passes.

You missed out.

Haha, nice. :lol:

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Kabuo wrote:the reference to Plato's artillery

As a former Classics major myself, I think that I liked this part the best. But I have to say, trying to explain away wild factual inaccuracies by trying to redefine the word "started" is a pretty good one, too.

Plato may or may not have been an early advocate of democracy, but he certainly didn't start the concept of it. (He may have been the earliest major philosopher to consider the system as abstracted from a particular context, but that's kind of really, really different.) Whether he began the discipline of political science is, well, debatable, but it's certainly not wrong to say that Aristotle is widely regarded as the father of political science.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Plato's Thoughts wrote:By started, I meant put it into a coherent system that made it through history...My sentence is correct.

Awesome, "started" gets to have its own special meaning when you use it.

For fun, try googling "father of political science." You seem to be thinking political science just means "someone who thinks about politics," that's not the case. Plato was a political philosopher.

Anyway, thanks for sending me a PM with your observations, I'd have hated to miss out. By the way, I have read Laws; Magnesia is not a democracy. Power is delegated away from the semi-democratic Assembly to the representative Council and the non-democratic Nocturnal Council. That's a republic, there's a difference. But you can come up with whatever tortured redefinition you like.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:09 am

Kabuo wrote:I love . . . the reference to Plato's artillery.

Ha, that took me a second to figure out, I missed it the first time. Like how I used the ellipsis properly?

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:43 am

Can you please move this discussion to "Shit No One Cares About Since 1 AD Prep And Discussion" forums please?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:13 am

suspicious android wrote:Ha, that took me a second to figure out, I missed it the first time. Like how I used the ellipsis properly?

I'm somewhat mollified.

nullisecundus wrote:Can you please move this discussion to "Shit No One Cares About Since 1 AD Prep And Discussion" forums please?

Sadly, this is just not true. I assume you didn't major in philosophy, because if you had, you would have noticed that philosophy majors have more insufferable people per capita than any other major (think ~3/4). I don't even dislike the field; I minored in it and was 3 credit hours away from majoring in it. But, unfortunately, you will not find more annoying kids in a classroom in any other subject.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:29 am

Whatever happened to Veritas (tlser)

he was great

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”