Does high IQ correlate to high LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
superw

New

Does high IQ correlate to high LSAT?

Post by superw » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Question is, does high IQ mean a high LSAT? How many people out there have had their iq tested and taken the lsat? I have seen comparisons done online but I do not think they are accurate, since people frequently claim to be able to learn the LSAT. But that does not mean IQ is not learned as well, if you look at the Titan Test, the hardest IQ test in the world, most questions are from knowledge of different word meanings or texts and there is an amazingly high correlation with those who have a high vocabulary with those who have a high IQ. The clear link between the two, however, is the basis on logic. Both types of tests require logic to perform, much more so than a vocabulary.

So my question stands, does high IQ correlate to a high LSAT score? Or is one or the other purely learnable, and why would MENSA accept the LSAT if it weren't testing IQ?

Here is a link to my IQ, tested at highiqsociety.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-teYqv9v4I

fosterp

Bronze

Re: Does high IQ correlate to high LSAT?

Post by fosterp » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:50 pm

IQ is a pretty loaded term, and I am pretty sure there is a consensus that you cannot simply sum up a persons entire intellectual capacity with one number. Any test that claims to test IQ is only going to be testing a limited, narrowly defined aspect of intellect.

lsat tests your logical reasoning, reading comprehension, and analytical reasoning, all of which are determined in part by your intellectual ability that would probably also in part determine your scores on a test that claims to determine IQ.

Any claim that iq correlates with lsat is probably pure speculation that really cannot be proven given the ambiguous nature of the meaning of IQ

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Subtle spam?

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 pm

It wouldn't be more than a mere correlation. A high IQ generally means an individual can read dense material with a better understanding, but the correlation between logical thinking and IQ needs to be understood before you can draw any conclusions.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 pm

bk187 wrote:Subtle spam?
Not so subtle anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”