So, how difficult to get a 170+ on your first exam?

DukeCornell

Re: So, how difficult to get a 170+ on your first exam?

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:38 pm

StateSchoolSplitter wrote:I have a year and a half to study and I'm scoring in the 150s on the real exams (from PirateBay) before practicing or studying.

Is a 170+ a realistic goal?

Yes!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
bloopyblooper wrote:this is interesting - a thread containing future lawyers who will not uphold piracy laws on the account of a monopoly.

Thanks for turning this thread into an avalanche of stupid, not that it wasn't already that before.

I thought it was kind of funny. I mean, the stated justification for ignoring the copyright was LSAC's monopoly, yet the infringers want to join a professional monopoly.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Ragged wrote:
StateSchoolSplitter wrote:
Is a 170+ a realistic goal?

Yes.

Good luck!

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:10 pm

fosterp wrote:You might call LSAC a monopoly but they do not exist to make a profit. Cost of PTs are are to offset the cost of maintaining a very expensive testing process. It is expensive because it is good at what it does. Would you rather have no way to distinguish the riff raff from the talent when your trying to get into a competitive school?

BAHAHAHAH!!! Yeah it is about as non-profit as the seemingly endless number of law schools out there. Just because it is a "non-profit organization" doesn't mean they don't exist to make a profit or that they can't run a surplus. It just means they don't have shareholders or a private owner to report to. I promise you, somebody is making money with LSAC.

And as for what I'd like to see, well that's quite irrelevant. But having the ACT and the SAT sure hasn't hurt anything. If anything, it has prevented universities from relying solely on a single standardized test and has forced them to take a broader look at applicants.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
fosterp wrote:You might call LSAC a monopoly but they do not exist to make a profit. Cost of PTs are are to offset the cost of maintaining a very expensive testing process. It is expensive because it is good at what it does. Would you rather have no way to distinguish the riff raff from the talent when your trying to get into a competitive school?

BAHAHAHAH!!! Yeah it is about as non-profit as the seemingly endless number of law schools out there. Just because it is a "non-profit organization" doesn't mean they don't exist to make a profit or that they can't run a surplus. It just means they don't have shareholders or a private owner to report to. I promise you, somebody is making money with LSAC.

And as for what I'd like to see, well that's quite irrelevant. But having the ACT and the SAT sure hasn't hurt anything. If anything, it has prevented universities from relying solely on a single standardized test and has forced them to take a broader look at applicants.

true. also, some of the most highly paid executives in business are those who run non-profits. one of my partners (big four accounting firm) likes to joke that nothing is more profitable than a nice non-profit.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:11 pm

iceland wrote:
bk1 wrote:Gonna do myself a favor and avoid the trolls.

You should quit it with your utterly useless and mindless comments, for they contribute absolutely nothing. If you want to brand certain people trolls, you must substantiate the basis on which you are branding them as such.

bottom line is, you don't have the tits to be OP's mom, so get off his back. what he did was illegal, he knows it, we all know it. he knew it when he made the decision to do it, and that knowledge didn't stop him, so what the fuck is it to you? you're addressing two audiences, those who pirate, and those who don't, which means you're either pouring water on a goose's back (i.e., pirate who doesn't give a shit) or preaching to the choir. in both cases, wasting your time.

maybe you're just jealous that he saved a shit ton of $$$. now, i'm not happy about spending hundreds on prep material, but it doesn't mean i'm going to take it out on some stupid newb OP for shits and giggles.

and to answer OP's question, getting a 170 is of course very difficult. it represents a level of performance that only 3% of test takers achieve. but the LSAT is an exercise in determination as much as anything else. it's like the gym. genetics help, but if you aren't hitting the gym and picking the right workouts, you'll be a wimp your whole life. you have to put in the time, that's all.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:56 pm

robotclubmember wrote:bottom line is, you don't have the tits to be OP's mom, so get off his back. what he did was illegal, he knows it, we all know it. he knew it when he made the decision to do it, and that knowledge didn't stop him, so what the fuck is it to you? you're addressing two audiences, those who pirate, and those who don't, which means you're either pouring water on a goose's back (i.e., pirate who doesn't give a shit) or preaching to the choir. in both cases, wasting your time.

I enjoyed your colorful metaphors in this post.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:

Yeah they can have a surplus. Are you proposing they are just hording money for the sake of hording money and not using the money to further their goals? Because they can't just go give a huge fat raise to anyone they want just because they can. There are rules that prevent non-profits from using their surplus to start paying the employees excessive amounts of money. I wonder who is it you think that is making money with lsac? Besides their employees salaries?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”