Should I bother? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
scottdnyc

New

Should I bother?

Post by scottdnyc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:51 pm

I took an LSAT diagnostic yesterday and got a 156. This was after a week or two of studying off and on, mostly the Kaplan book, maybe for a total of ten hours at the most. My GPA is somewhere between 3.45 and 3.52 depending on how they count my freshman year (I transferred). Not a URM and minimal work/life experience that would set me apart from other applicants.

Should I do some intense studying and take the test in June? Can I reasonably expect to move in to the mid 160s? Should I just take the test in February and go to a t4 if I know I can graduate with little or no debt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

langdonbadger

New

Re: Should I bother?

Post by langdonbadger » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:53 pm

scottdnyc wrote:I took an LSAT diagnostic yesterday and got a 156. This was after a week or two of studying off and on, mostly the Kaplan book, maybe for a total of ten hours at the most. My GPA is somewhere between 3.45 and 3.52 depending on how they count my freshman year (I transferred). Not a URM and minimal work/life experience that would set me apart from other applicants.

Should I do some intense studying and take the test in June? Can I reasonably expect to move in to the mid 160s? Should I just take the test in February and go to a t4 if I know I can graduate with little or no debt?

You can bump that to mid 160's EASY by June

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:59 pm

scottdnyc wrote:I took an LSAT diagnostic yesterday and got a 156. This was after a week or two of studying off and on, mostly the Kaplan book, maybe for a total of ten hours at the most. My GPA is somewhere between 3.45 and 3.52 depending on how they count my freshman year (I transferred). Not a URM and minimal work/life experience that would set me apart from other applicants.

you can break a 170 with this easy if you study efficiently.

this is an excellent starting score, and a good law school is certainly possible. HYS will always be out because of your GPA, but i'm sure that'd hold with any other field anyway.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:05 pm

If you're diagnostic is 156 and you are capable of smart, efficient studying until June, then there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do well...

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Do it, but get the necessary resources. One Kaplan book might not enough.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scottdnyc

New

Post by scottdnyc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:13 pm

thanks all

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:38 pm

should you bother? yes
Should I do some intense studying and take the test in June? yes
I reasonably expect to move in to the mid 160s? yes
Should I just take the test in February and go to a t4 if I know I can graduate with little or no debt? no

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:47 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:should you bother? yes
Should I do some intense studying and take the test in June? yes
I reasonably expect to move in to the mid 160s? yes
Should I just take the test in February and go to a t4 if I know I can graduate with little or no debt? no
Repeated for emphasis.

Starting out at 156 is nothing to be ashamed of and is certainly not a score you cannot raise. I began with a 157 and got a 167 in Oct. and am awaiting a Dec. retake.

A T4 is a mistake: its 4 years of your life down the drain because career prospects are pretty much zero. Get a decent LSAT score, take your decent GPA, and go to a good school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”