tricks to keep ones focus

flannelman

tricks to keep ones focus

Postby flannelman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:38 am

I ran into a major issue on this past exam and wonder if anyone has tried anything in practice that has helped them overcome something similar. My test ran RC LR LG break LG LR. Trouble showed up after having been somewhat overwhelmed by the RC. I sort of told myself that maybe the RC was the experimental and not to worry about it. That worked just fine for the sections up until the break. I didn't give it another thought and even busted out what might have been a perfect games section. But when I got the real set of Logic Games not only was I smacked in the face with the harsh reality that the RC section which I had hoped was experimental was in fact real, but the first game section which I did great on was not going to count for a damn thing!

This is a real blow to ones psyche and it was tough to regain focus and power though a difficult games section. Which of course did not go nearly as well as the experimental. All of this built up even more and weighed in my mind while I tried to force myself through the last section of LR. And by the time I got to that 5h section half of me just wanted to give up. Obviously i didn't and manned up enough to do it, all of this refocusing and focus lost takes up time and messes with my rhythm, which is pretty important.

In practice I take 5 section PT's but 10 times out of 10 I can pick out which section is Exp because it will print a little bit differently from the rest of the sections and stand out. So there is that problem (fooling myself). But aside from that has anyone done anything to help sort of focus on the task at hand when certain things don't go to plan??

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:53 am

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eyetalian

Re: tricks to keep ones focus

Postby Eyetalian » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:07 am

Approach it like the alchies approach sobriety: one day at a time....or in this case, one question at a time. Think about staying in the moment.

Peg

Postby Peg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:47 am

The biggest thing I did - after having a serious Paralysis of Fear on my October test - was meditate every day. Like I'm not kidding, I'd sit down every morning before coffee and breakfast and concentrate on my breathing for one hour.Then I'd do another hour before bed. And after five days of doing that I started to notice that my brain snapped to attention during practice - my mind sped up and I felt like time slowed down because I finished sections faster, with higher accuracy.

And I felt like the Buddha during my LSAT, even when I came across hard questions - my concentration definitely was at an all-time high.

Try it. =)

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:59 am

In my opinion the experimental is a psychological mind-fuck. In October I killed the fake RC in section 2 and bombed the real RC in section 3 because I convinced myself that I did so well on the other one and that one is probably the real one. I'm sure that's what happened to you on LG as well given they were back to back. The best thing to do is not think about the experimental, it's hard to do but it makes you very prone to mistakes because you tend to underthink or rush through certain questions or passages.

So all in all, pretend the LSAT is a 5 section-scored test.

jerrymander

Postby jerrymander » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Meditation advice is excellent. +1 to that.

Your goal in PTs should be to hit -0 in every section. If I get a 180 on a PT, but go -4 on an experimental section in that sitting, I don't care about the 180. I care about the -4.

In real time, you must learn to act "as if." Even if you bombed a section, tell yourself you aced it. This helps with confidence. After all, we all have sections where we think we "bombed" but ended up getting lucky and missing -1 or -2.

iceland

Postby iceland » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Last edited by iceland on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Take it one step at a time. It's only one section of Logic Games with 4 games. You can do each game perfectly! Etc.

I know it's harder said than done, but think of it in pieces.

RefleX

Postby RefleX » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:53 pm

I had a bit of a breakdown after LG and closed my eyes for about 10 seconds, told myself I'll forget about what happened and just do my best on the rest of the section. Seemed to help. I think taking a split second of rest and regrouping can do wonders.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:12 pm

iceland wrote:If you run into mental troubles on test day, take a quick look up from your test paper and imagine everyone in the room is naked. It's a good little laugh, which helps to relax one's mind. (Nekked people all serious and writing the LSAT is hilarious, IMHO!) Then take a deep breath, and regroup and refocus -- with a smile on your face. :D

It's 25 seconds well spent!

Along these lines, when you start feeling stressed or overwhelmed during the test, take a deep breath, tilt your head back and look up at the ceiling for a few seconds, then look back down and keep going on the questions. I found it to be an effective technique and learned it from a performance psychology study. Try it, it only takes 5 seconds or less.

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:55 am

Good stuff guys I will absolutely try this stuff out. I appreciate all the advice!

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:59 am

iceland wrote:If you run into mental troubles on test day, take a quick look up from your test paper and imagine everyone in the room is naked. It's a good little laugh, which helps to relax one's mind. (Nekked people all serious and writing the LSAT is hilarious, IMHO!) Then take a deep breath, and regroup and refocus -- with a smile on your face. :D

If there are attractive people of the opposite (or same) sex, this strategy may backfire.

iceland

Postby iceland » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Last edited by iceland on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:08 pm

kkklick wrote:In my opinion the experimental is a psychological mind-fuck. In October I killed the fake RC in section 2 and bombed the real RC in section 3 because I convinced myself that I did so well on the other one and that one is probably the real one. I'm sure that's what happened to you on LG as well given they were back to back. The best thing to do is not think about the experimental, it's hard to do but it makes you very prone to mistakes because you tend to underthink or rush through certain questions or passages.

So all in all, pretend the LSAT is a 5 section-scored test.

Exactly this 1000%. If I had just ignored experimental vs. non-experimental, I would have been better off... section 1 RC - section 2 RC crapped all over me in Oct, and I kept telling myself that the majority of the crapping was the experimental. It wasn't. The only thing that got me through was trying to block that from my mind to try and kill the rest of the test by thinking I had killed the real section and bombed experimental.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that 3 hours is a pretty minimal test of concentration skills, and the difference between 4 sections and 5 sections is negligible?

Please don't tell me that all that garbage about Generation Y having no attention span thanks to growing up watching MTV is true.

How on earth are you people going to get through the bar exam?

iceland

Postby iceland » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Last edited by iceland on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:04 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Please don't tell me that all that garbage about Generation Y having no attention span thanks to growing up watching MTV is true.

--ImageRemoved--

lulz great pic.

Rink, my issue wasn't related to attention span, it was all about the way that experimental vs. actual can f with you, and it's not really something for which you can prepare other than preparing for the actual length of the test. I was worried about the RC's during the remaining test, which proved to be a legit source of worry when I received my score (dominated all minus the RC, normally my best section). Other than that the test flew by and I pretty much had a mad genius blackout lulz.

I agree with Schop, I could have easily taken a few more sections on that adrenaline (which was nice because it carried me through to party on after the test).

Edit: But I see how what you're saying fits right in with the title of TT.

NaturalLawyer

Postby NaturalLawyer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Here is one way to think about it, which may or may not help you.

Once I finish the first three sections, I try to look forward to, and get pumped up for, the next two sections with the following thought: no matter how badly I did on the first half, I still have two more sections on which I can score perfectly.

This helps me because I'm almost never completely confident that I got a perfect score on a particular section. So I think to myself, "if I get a perfect on these last two sections, I can still get a +170."

isaiahnielsen

Postby isaiahnielsen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:21 pm

mottainai wrote:

If there are attractive people of the opposite (or same) sex, this strategy may backfire.

thank goodness all the people at my test were pretty ugly...except one guy, and he was far far away...

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:18 am

Just push through. Tell yourself that you enjoy it, and think about all the good things you're getting out of studying for the LSAT (even if you don't really believe it).
GL

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:48 am

RefleX wrote:I had a bit of a breakdown after LG and closed my eyes for about 10 seconds, told myself I'll forget about what happened and just do my best on the rest of the section. Seemed to help. I think taking a split second of rest and regrouping can do wonders.

+1

I felt myself starting to slip/lose it during the LR section after that goddamned LG section, starting to slip into the "I already fucked it all up, so why keep trying?" The minute I caught myself thinking that way, I would stop, close my eyes, take a couple deep breaths, and remind myself that it wasn't over yet. Even if I totally bombed that LG section, there's still the potential that I could go -0 on every other section and I've NEVER missed more than -11 in a LG (including my diagnostic) so 170 is still totally possible. It helped me get centered, focused, and recharged my engine, so to speak. It also helps that I usually have 10 or so minutes to spare on LR, so I had the time to rest and regroup myself when I needed to.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”