LSAT Addendum?

kitmitzi

LSAT Addendum?

Postby kitmitzi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:12 pm

I'm trying to decide if I should write an addendum. Some people say it's just "making excuses" but I think my reason is legitimate? During the summer I was practice testing 168-169. At the end of summer I got brain surgery (yea, it sucked) and started testing 162-164. I have no idea how the December test went, but I am considering writing an addendum to explain why my score isn't that great.

Now here's where I'm confused. People are saying it might be better to apply early when you don't know your LSAT score rather than wait until scores come out. So if I have an addendum and then actually have a decent score, it might look odd. If I don't include an addendum and apply early, if I have a bad score it will ruin my application. Although I'd also be afraid of the law school thinking that the surgery permanently affected my academics and not want to admit me because I'm "broken" (doctor said I'll be back to normal before college graduation, which I mention in my PS).

So is it better to apply earlier with an addendum or wait until scores come out to decide? Will applying later (January instead of December) not make that much of a difference?

well-hello-there

Re: LSAT Addendum?

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Apply now and worry about whether to send the addendum or not after you get your score.

ffonsok

Postby ffonsok » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:10 am

The brain surgery was to make you a Manchurian Candidate. Your path for the next 40 years is set already.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:23 am

Don't write an addendum yet. You don't even know your score. Apply now and see what your LSAT score ends up being. If you still think you need an addendum add one.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:33 am

^ +1

not yet

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:11 pm

If you write an addendum now and score the same or a point higher, you'd look pretty foolish wouldn't you? An addendum is usually justified in cases where a 160 jumps to a 170, a 150 jumps to a 160 etc. Even if I score much higher this time than my other times I wrote write an addendum because I don't like excuses, and IMHO neither do law schools.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:12 pm

But OP brain surgery is a major factor affectin performance, IF you score 5 points or higher then an addendum in your case would be more than plausible.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't think that law schools like excuses, however, they do want to hear about special circumstances. Brain surgery that temporarily affected you is definitely something to write about if you score higher this time. Good luck OP!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:21 pm

kitmitzi wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should write an addendum. Some people say it's just "making excuses" but I think my reason is legitimate? During the summer I was practice testing 168-169. At the end of summer I got brain surgery (yea, it sucked) and started testing 162-164. I have no idea how the December test went, but I am considering writing an addendum to explain why my score isn't that great.

Now here's where I'm confused. People are saying it might be better to apply early when you don't know your LSAT score rather than wait until scores come out. So if I have an addendum and then actually have a decent score, it might look odd. If I don't include an addendum and apply early, if I have a bad score it will ruin my application. Although I'd also be afraid of the law school thinking that the surgery permanently affected my academics and not want to admit me because I'm "broken" (doctor said I'll be back to normal before college graduation, which I mention in my PS).

So is it better to apply earlier with an addendum or wait until scores come out to decide? Will applying later (January instead of December) not make that much of a difference?

Wow, you have a very unique situation.

I'm glad you survived and are recovering well from having two brain surgeries (I read your LSN profile), that is a major feat to say the least. Continuing to press forward with the LSAT and applying to law school while going through that is certainly a testament to your resilience and dedication.

RE: addendum or not?

If the December test is going to be the only reported LSAT score you have on your LSAC CAS record so far, DO NOT INCLUDE AN ADDENDUM saying you could have/would have scored higher but for brain surgery, especially if you scored somewhere in the 160's range on the December test. Let the score stand on its own and speak for itself.

No matter what the circumstances, and yours are certainly compelling, addenda making excuses for LSAT scores that basically convey "Even though my score report says I'm a 165, I'm really a 170, here's why..., treat me like a 170 please" do not fly well with admission committees.

If you include one you would basically be saying to admission committees "I could have scored higher on the LSAT but I got brain damage along the way." You really don't want to make that a leading theme of your applications.

You need to be very careful about how you present your circumstances in your application materials to avoid "she's broken and might not be able to handle the stress and pressure of LS, somebody may have to call for emergency medical assistance during classes" prejudice.

People with disabilities and/or serious medical conditions are not treated with much sympathy in the legal world, it really is a shark tank.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:24 pm

Hm, for some reason I was under the impression that this was a retake. If its your first time taking the test then Jefforts advice is TCR.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:Hm, for some reason I was under the impression that this was a retake. If its your first time taking the test then Jefforts advice is TCR.

Me too lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”