//

Best option?

Ask a law school to send a letter to LSAC, retake the test in Feb.
17%
Retake in June and apply again in the next cycle.
53%
Go ahead with the cycle without retaking.
30%

Total votes: 30

kalede

//

Postby kalede » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:26 pm

//
Last edited by kalede on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Re: advice on possibly taking the LSAT a fourth time?

Postby NZA » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:28 pm

...why take it again?

It seems like the best you're going to do is increase your score, maybe, by a point or two over the 166, and that's not really statistically significant.

I say, buckle down and work on the apps.

kalede

Postby kalede » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:31 pm

NZA wrote:...why take it again?

It seems like the best you're going to do is increase your score, maybe, by a point or two over the 166, and that's not really statistically significant.

I think that there's a good chance a retake could yield a score that's 4+ points higher, which would be the difference in a 93rd percentile and a 99th. Which would matter a lot as far as getting in to certain schools and the amount of scholly money offered.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:34 pm

kalede wrote:
NZA wrote:...why take it again?

I think that there's a good chance a retake could yield a score that's 4+ points higher, which would be the difference in a 93rd percentile and a 99th. Which would matter a lot as far as getting in to certain schools and the amount of scholly money offered.

Fair point. And I love your avatar, but, everyone thinks they can do X points better a second, third, fourth time around. Sometimes, it's like hearing a gambling addict say, "No, seriously, the next hand will make me rich."

But, everyone's situation is different. If I were you, I'd get that job at the law firm and give it some time and thought, even if you don't plan on retaking.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:39 pm

166, 164, 164 on three different tests. Id say your score range is 164-166. Yes you did better on prep tests, but on the real deal, your scores are consistently in the 164-166 range . Continue with your cycle. If you dont like how it goes, re take in October( you will be allowed to without petitioning a school), use the summer to prep and send your applications in right after the exam.

kalede

Postby kalede » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:40 pm

NZA wrote:Fair point. And I love your avatar, but, everyone thinks they can do X points better a second, third, fourth time around. Sometimes, it's like hearing a gambling addict say, "No, seriously, the next hand will make me rich."

But, everyone's situation is different. If I were you, I'd get that job at the law firm and give it some time and thought, even if you don't plan on retaking.

Yeah, I thought about that. But I put in the time and effort prepping before this last attempt that I didn't before the first two, and I really think that not getting nearly enough sleep the night before was mostly to blame for me scoring below my expectations.

But yeah, I think time working in a legal setting will be beneficial if I end up waiting one more year, even if my LSAT score disappoints me again.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Do what u gotta do; you know yourself best.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:24 pm

kalede wrote: I spent a few months doing serious prep, which mostly consisted of me taking a buttload of timed tests. By the end of it, I was scoring 171-175 on every test I took, sometimes higher.

Which PT's were these? If these were more recent tests, then I think you should definitely retake as long as you maintain your LSAT skills through regular study until February.

If however, the majority of those were tests from PT-1 through PT-20 OR if your timed test practice did not adhere strictly to actual test conditions, then I think you should definitely retake (not a typo) because even though PT-1-20 are much easier than recent tests and not adhering strictly to actual test conditions might give you a few more points than you would normally get, regularly scoring in the 171 to 175 range is HUGE and if you happen to pull off even a 170 on the February test, you should get a nice scholarship at any school that would accept you with those mid-160 scores.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:38 pm

kalede wrote:I'm thinking about retaking the LSAT for a fourth time, either by asking one of the schools I applied to to send a letter to the LSAC,

I read on another thread that UCLA has a policy of auto-granting permission to retake a 4th time. Anybody out there know of other schools that do the same?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:13 pm

Its always worth it to re-take. A 166 is was different than a 167, 167 is way different than a 168, and so on. Its not just a numbers game, but being at a schools median LSAT vs 1 point below is the difference of being accepted or not, especially considering your gpa.

People forget the medians are just that, medians. They are not averages. A 158 and a 165 are both below UT's median of 167, they both hurt the school the same (ok, the 165 is above UT's 25th, but that is beyond a secondary concern for schools).

With your gpa, hit a schools lsat median within the T-14, apply with a really solid, error proof, application, and the odds are very good you will be admitted.

I guess that would mean you need a what.. 168 nowadays?

Retake. I know a kid who was 157,157, then 167. He is had a good gpa from a home economics major at a crappy undergrad, and now he (yes, he) is T-14. Had he been 166 he probably would have been out because he would have been below their most important median, but because he probably got the 1 more LR question he had a 167 and got in. This shows you that they will not average your scores (his average would have been 160) too.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 pm

buckle down, study your ass off until june, retake. could be worth thousands in scholly money

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:36 pm

I don't really understand the downside of re-taking, other than committing to giving up your free time for many hours of tedious reading. And hey, you've already decided to be a lawyer, so that shouldn't even count as a reason not to do it.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Retake.

I voted for June since it is later in the day (noon I believe), it is disclosed, and you don't need a waiver.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Take it again in February. Get off some waitlists after Feb. Don't wait until June. Just get it over with.

kalede

Postby kalede » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:08 pm

to update this thread: I retook in June, got a 170. Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to wait a year and reapply or try to get off the waitlist at University of Washington.

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:19 pm

kalede wrote:to update this thread: I retook in June, got a 170. Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to wait a year and reapply or try to get off the waitlist at University of Washington.

Send UW a rejection e-mail and then reapply for T14 bro.

Edit: and congrats on your score :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”