average time per game

hutchesonian

average time per game

Postby hutchesonian » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:08 pm

To those who have mastered LG: how long is your average time for easy, average, and hard games?

Nonok

Re: average time per game

Postby Nonok » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Easy Tier 5 min.
Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.
Stained Glass Tier 18 min.

oliverdarcy

Postby oliverdarcy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Easy Tier 5 min.
Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.

lol at the "stained glass" tier -- that game was very annoying.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:33 pm

During PTs Easy ones were about 5 minutes, 6-7 for medium difficulty, hard ones were about 8 minutes. I was always done with atleast 5 minutes to spare. With at most -2 on the section.

However, in October I didn't finish the whole thing, and on the lsat one I worked up till about a minute left. Mostly because I didnt have much room on that one game to write and had to fix one of my inferences on another game. Not to mention they were pretty difficult games to begin with too.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:27 am

if mastery refers to an average of less than 2 wrong per 4 games, then:

easy: 4 min
average: 7 min
hard: 10-12 min

hutchesonian

Postby hutchesonian » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

When you get up to that speed, do you find yourselves drawing out full diagrams and rule implications (as per PowerScore LGB, for instance), or do you tend to sketch the bare minimum and start tackling the questions? Was there a shift in the way you approached the games after a significant amount of practice? I've read on some other threads that structure/inferences become much faster and easier, but are you still writing all of them down, or just doing most of them in your heads? How about for local vs global questions?

I'm currently at ~7-9min per game; just took SuperPrep A with an added 5th section, diagrammed a lot less/spent less time looking at the rules than when practicing individual games (which in retrospect probably slowed me down), and pretty much threw out all strategy when I got to the last game and started doing hypos (running out of time/not enough familiarity with game type). Besides not panicking at the end, is there anything I should change for full tests as I continue practicing (I'm currently going through all the games by type in the Next 10 book for the second time)? For instance, should I force myself to diagram out everything until I've actually reached the next stage (intuitive inferences/understanding of game structure and such)?

Also, do you have any advice for approaching the last game if there's not enough time to finish it? Or time management strategy in general for if you get hit by a stained glass windows or mauve dinosaurs level game?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Nonok wrote:Easy Tier 5 min.
Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.

I think conferences was harder, but stained glass was bad too. So far, however, nothing has destroyed me like mauve dinosaurs, that one ate my soul (19:30 and I skipped one).

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:37 pm

2011Law wrote:
Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.

I think conferences was harder, but stained glass was bad too. So far, however, nothing has destroyed me like mauve dinosaurs, that one ate my soul (19:30 and I skipped one).

How tough is that to get PT 57 and 62 the hardest games section, bad break.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:06 pm

hutchesonian wrote:Thanks for your replies, everyone!

When you get up to that speed, do you find yourselves drawing out full diagrams and rule implications (as per PowerScore LGB, for instance), or do you tend to sketch the bare minimum and start tackling the questions? Was there a shift in the way you approached the games after a significant amount of practice? I've read on some other threads that structure/inferences become much faster and easier, but are you still writing all of them down, or just doing most of them in your heads? How about for local vs global questions?

I'm currently at ~7-9min per game; just took SuperPrep A with an added 5th section, diagrammed a lot less/spent less time looking at the rules than when practicing individual games (which in retrospect probably slowed me down), and pretty much threw out all strategy when I got to the last game and started doing hypos (running out of time/not enough familiarity with game type). Besides not panicking at the end, is there anything I should change for full tests as I continue practicing (I'm currently going through all the games by type in the Next 10 book for the second time)? For instance, should I force myself to diagram out everything until I've actually reached the next stage (intuitive inferences/understanding of game structure and such)?

Also, do you have any advice for approaching the last game if there's not enough time to finish it? Or time management strategy in general for if you get hit by a stained glass windows or mauve dinosaurs level game?

I was so ridiculously bad on my diagnostic on Games, I think I was -14. But I took the powerscore virtual program, and in the HW and supplemental books I did every single game, most games I did 2 or 3 times. Everything seems to fall into place, and you see the patterns that the test makers use and things become very predictable.

I always sketch out as much information I can get including inferences, contrapositive, all that stuff. The more you figure out before the questions the quicker you will solve the questions, especially globally. Its extremely helpful when you know where certain elements have to go or cannot go, its much easier to eliminate incorrect answers and falling onto the correct answer that way for most questions. I definitely suggest writing everything out, its a very good habit.

The strategy I use with approaching the last game is to do it 3rd. The order I do games is 1,2,4,3rd, reason being that many times the 3rd game is harder/time consuming and the 4th game is sometimes very simple. Which is not always the case, Oct. 2010 the first game owned me, I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. In case of something like this happening, I look at my watch and I don't dedicate more than 8:45 to it and just move on. If I have a few minutes left to go at the end I will come back and try to figure it out.

enigma09

Postby enigma09 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:47 am

Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.

:lol:

Stained glass was hard, but not that hard. There was one deduction alone that answered at least 2 of the 6 (I think) questions.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:27 am

enigma09 wrote:
Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.

Stained glass was hard, but not that hard. There was one deduction alone that answered at least 2 of the 6 (I think) questions.

It really took me 18 minutes. I misunderstood the second question on the game and it took me forever to notice my mistake.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am

enigma09 wrote:
Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.

Actually 3/7 could be answered that way.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Average Tier 6 min.
Hard Tier 7-9 min.

lol nice.

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 am

tourdeforcex wrote:if mastery refers to an average of less than 2 wrong per 4 games, then:

easy: 4 min
average: 7 min
hard: 10-12 min

+1. Section average is about 32 minutes.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:51 pm

In the 26 sections of LG i did before December (retake), I mostly missed 0. Highest I missed was -2 on 5 of the sections.

I would say an easy game (i.e. straight sequencing with only 5 variables or something) should take about 5 minutes. Average one should be 7-8 minutes. Hard 10-12 minutes.

After getting games down, I usually finished with 5 or so minutes to spare. FWIW, on December I finish as time was called. Finished the 4th came, which was very easy, and went back to the rule replace question from an earlier game. Conferences and Stained Glass ate up sooooo much time with all the possible hypos for each. On some questions, I was not entirely certain of the answers, so I could see missing more than -2, up to -5 in a worst case scenario.

TL;DR: December games sucked. Hope February and June are better for you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”