Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby Attorney » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:43 pm

I took the LSAT on Saturday and was not pleased. I PT'd around 173-175 but expect a score within a range of 166-173, best guess being about 168 or 169. I'd like to go ahead and apply to schools soon instead of waiting until late February for the next LSAT's scores to be released. BUT, I'd like to take it again in February anyway to bolster my chances at any schools on the fence about me.

My question is this: will schools see that I am taking the Feb LSAT and defer my decision until then? (This is not what I want to happen.) Do I need to tell them each specifically to decide on my application after the December score release if they can, and take the Feb LSAT into account only if they haven't yet made up their minds?

Or should I just not take the February LSAT at all?

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Attorney wrote:I took the LSAT on Saturday and was not pleased. I PT'd around 175 and expect a score within a range of 166-173, best guess being about 168 or 169. I'd like to go ahead and apply to schools soon instead of waiting until late February for the next LSAT's scores to be released. BUT, I'd like to take it again in February anyway.

My question is this: will schools see that I am taking the Feb LSAT and defer my decision until then? (This is not what I want to happen.) Do I need to tell them each specifically to decide on my application after the December score release if they can, and take the Feb LSAT into account only if they haven't yet made up their minds?

Or should I just not take the February LSAT at all?


this question has already been answered about 405934 million times, but here we go.

first off, it really depends on where you are applying. it's already starting to get late in the game, so if you are applying to reach and possibly even target schools, you are really going to be pushing it waiting much longer to apply. if you are applying to safety schools with numbers way higher than their medians, you should be fine.

second, some schools will look at your app without the FEB score, just email them and ask them to disregard your future lsat date. some schools won't wait (i believe michigan)

finally, i guess you can just sign up for the FEB lsat and if you are happy with your DEC score, then try to get a refund for the feb test

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby Attorney » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Hmmm, thank you... makes sense. I figured it had been asked, but found nothing in my one attempt for searching for similar questions. AND I'M A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY AND I DEMAND YOUR ATTENTION BE GIVEN TO MY SPECIFIC CASE. Just kidding, but anyway I'm basically applying to schools where I'll still be at or above the LSAT average, as my uGPA (from over 10 years ago) was not good. So I suppose the holding out for 175 would almost just be for vanity purposes. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

glitter178 wrote:this question has already been answered about 405934 million times

Isn't this better stated as 406 billion times?

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Attorney wrote:Hmmm, thank you... makes sense. I figured it had been asked, but found nothing in my one attempt for searching for similar questions. AND I'M A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY AND I DEMAND YOUR ATTENTION BE GIVEN TO MY SPECIFIC CASE. Just kidding, but anyway I'm basically applying to schools where I'll be at or above the LSAT average, as my uGPA (from over 10 years ago) was not good. So I suppose the holding out for 175 would almost just be for vanity purposes. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

glitter178 wrote:this question has already been answered about 405934 million times

Isn't this better stated as 406 billion times?


nope, i'm trying to be as precise as possible :lol:

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm

ohhh. also... if your UGPA is bad, is it well below medians? because then, you need a way higher LSAT to counterbalance it

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby Attorney » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:04 pm

glitter178 wrote:ohhh. also... if your UGPA is bad, is it well below medians? because then, you need a way higher LSAT to counterbalance it


Arrrgh! Yes it is.
I don't like this game.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Attorney wrote:
glitter178 wrote:ohhh. also... if your UGPA is bad, is it well below medians? because then, you need a way higher LSAT to counterbalance it


Arrrgh! Yes it is.
I don't like this game.


In this case, retake in June & apply next cycle. Study until June, maximize your score.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:19 pm

glitter178 wrote:
Attorney wrote:I took the LSAT on Saturday and was not pleased. I PT'd around 175 and expect a score within a range of 166-173, best guess being about 168 or 169. I'd like to go ahead and apply to schools soon instead of waiting until late February for the next LSAT's scores to be released. BUT, I'd like to take it again in February anyway.

My question is this: will schools see that I am taking the Feb LSAT and defer my decision until then? (This is not what I want to happen.) Do I need to tell them each specifically to decide on my application after the December score release if they can, and take the Feb LSAT into account only if they haven't yet made up their minds?

Or should I just not take the February LSAT at all?


this question has already been answered about 405934 million times, but here we go.

first off, it really depends on where you are applying. it's already starting to get late in the game, so if you are applying to reach and possibly even target schools, you are really going to be pushing it waiting much longer to apply. if you are applying to safety schools with numbers way higher than their medians, you should be fine.

second, some schools will look at your app without the FEB score, just email them and ask them to disregard your future lsat date. some schools won't wait (i believe michigan)

finally, i guess you can just sign up for the FEB lsat and if you are happy with your DEC score, then try to get a refund for the feb test


I know this has been answered, but I have had horrible luck with the search in active and archived forums.
In the same boat, but I want a FEB retake only for scholarship money, and I do not want my applications held. I am already in at my two safeties. Can I register for February after Dec. scores are released and not tell schools so that they won't hold my application?

At some point on this forum I believe, I saw a list of schools that automatically hold applications for future LSAT dates. If someone has it, can they post it?
Would they hold it even if I didn't note it in my application?

thnx

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:23 pm

If I'm not mistaken, if you're registered for the February LSAT, schools you've applied to will know.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 pm

bump. is fynky JD correct?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby 99.9luft » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:18 pm

.
Last edited by 99.9luft on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:37 pm

99.9luft wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:If I'm not mistaken, if you're registered for the February LSAT, schools you've applied to will know.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.


Schools don't know that you've registered for a particular LSAT (unless you tell them of a date). They will, however, know the score when it is released to you.



Those are pretty conflicting responses...can anyone else chime in?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 pm

FunkyJD wrote:If I'm not mistaken, if you're registered for the February LSAT, schools you've applied to will know.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.



You are correct. If you registered, then get a refund, you should still notify schools that you are no longer taking the test,b/c some schools will update your file, put it in another pile and not loook at it until after the exam. Others will automatically update each file as it becomes necessary. If you are unsure, wait to sign up until you see your scores. The refund is not the entire fee for the test, so you will be saving some money.

If your gpa is below the medians, your lsat needs to be as high as possible. If you are going to apply with a lsat or gpa below the medians, your best bet is to wait this cycle, and apply as early as possible ( think september- october) next cycle.

Edit: on some applications there is a place for future lsat tests. If you decide to change your mind ( either take the test, or not to), you should email the school immediately, as they will read this and then put you in the to review file, or to hold off until future lsat date file.

JeNeRegretteRien
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:00 pm

The pdf version of your LSDAS report includes a listing of future LSAT registrations. And of course, as some one else already said, most apps also explicitly ask for future registrations.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:55 pm

northwood wrote:Edit: on some applications there is a place for future lsat tests. If you decide to change your mind ( either take the test, or not to), you should email the school immediately, as they will read this and then put you in the to review file, or to hold off until future lsat date file.

This for sure is true. In fact, I wouldn't just e-mail the school. I'd call and follow up to make sure they understand your wishes. Last cycle, I had an application at a school held for months by mistake over this, even though I had e-mailed them in advance and told them I wasn't retaking in February.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Sounds like I won't be retaking in February to increase scholarship dollars at my safeties... too risky with schools holding applications (even if I contact them). My Dec. score should be sufficient anyway, but wanted the insight. Thanks everyone!

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby iwanta170 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:29 pm

I registered for the December LSAT after LSAC had already sent my report to the schools I've applied to. I still received a few emails from schools telling me they noticed I registered for a retake and that they will hold my file in the meantime. Hope that helps

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT vs. Admissions decisions

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:12 pm

It does. Thanks.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CHyde, jonny27, PrezRand and 12 guests