170+ LSAT - Acquired or Natural Ability

redsoxfan2495

Re: 170+ LSAT - Acquired or Natural Ability

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Obviously your score will be a result of both. It's that simple. Some people can hit the 170's with little to no prep. Some can only do it with lots of prep. Some can never get there no matter how hard they try.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:21 am

My diagnostic was mid 150s and I'm currently PTing at mid 170s now. So, yes, after quite a bit of studying it is certainly possible. Though I think having been an english major helped with my speed which was acquired throughout college.

bmwhype2

Postby bmwhype2 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:32 pm

tng11 wrote:RC is the hardest to improve and takes a lot of time (by reading dense articles like the Scientific American or the Economist), LR is also part natural ability although you need to adjust your mind to think the way LSAC does. If you prep a lot and are really dedicated, people do jump from diagnostics in the 140s to the 170s.

Did you have a reduced price subscription to Scientific American?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:39 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:Obviously your score will be a result of both. It's that simple. Some people can hit the 170's with little to no prep. Some can only do it with lots of prep. Some can never get there no matter how hard they try.

+1

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:54 pm

I think everyone has a "natural ceiling." However, with that said, I think that intensive study can improve scores signifantly close to that ceiling. However, if you don't do well on reading comprehension questions or don't have strong time management in reading questions, you won't do well regardless of how much you work at it.

My son took the LSAT twice after a LOT of work. Believe me, he has very strong work habits and worked diligently practicing for the test. He got 144 on the first test and didn't feel that he did well on the December test. He took the Power Score course and did all the questions in the Power Score Bibles.

When I took the LSAT many moons ago, I did well without a lot of study either. I agree with the posters that achieving a great score is a combination of factors, not to mention some luck. For example, my son's best sections always has been the games section. I understand that the games section for the December test was impossible,which will definitely hurt him. Oh well.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:39 pm

taxguy wrote:I think everyone has a "natural ceiling." However, with that said, I think that intensive study can improve scores signifantly close to that ceiling. However, if you don't do well on reading comprehension questions or don't have strong time management in reading questions, you won't do well regardless of how much you work at it.

I don't think that's true as a general rule. You can train your mind to read quicker and smarter in order to answer the LSAT questions, which are lets be honest all pretty much the same, if you do it enough.

veragood

Postby veragood » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:27 am

I pulled a 170 with two-three weeks of practicing on the really old (and thus outdated/unrepresentative) practice tests.

I took the Dec '10 test, and even though I don't have my score back, I'm confident it's 175+. But to get that extra 5-9 point increase took some serious practicing on the most current tests available.

isaiahnielsen

Postby isaiahnielsen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:44 am

nullisecundus wrote:I scored 178 on my first timed practice test ever. Then I went and scored a 170 in Oct' 10, so I now retook it in December. We'll see how that goes. From my "progression" you can say its an ability lost with studying. (i.e. minus acquired)

this is so strange, because i did the same thing, although not with the same numbers as you...it seemed like the more i studied and took practice tests, the more overall my score dropped...i had the same issue in undergrad...usually, if i didn't study for a test i did better on it than if i did study...i am not sure why that is...now, i have never done WELL on a test in my entire life, but i definitely have some oddities in how my test taking works.

isaiahnielsen

Postby isaiahnielsen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:50 am

elibrarian wrote:My diagnostic was mid 150s and I'm currently PTing at mid 170s now. So, yes, after quite a bit of studying it is certainly possible. Though I think having been an english major helped with my speed which was acquired throughout college.

i believe acquired skills over the years is a huge part of it... i took almost no notes my entire undergrad career, because i learned things so much better by just hearing them in context rather than trying to write a ton of crap down and then reviewing it later and not having a clue what it all meant...so i spent most of my time in school just memorizing everything that i was coming across...this skill made RC a breeze to me most of the time (unless it was dense scientific data). LG kills me more than anything else every single time because i have never liked playing games...and LR was about average for me because i did really well in all of my philo classes in college and was always an avid reader (which clearly helped with RC as well). the problem with having these acquired skills for me, though, was that I couldn't figure out how to study to make any of them better in a two month period, as they were just things that i honed over the course of my life.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”