LR questions

cbq

LR questions

Postby cbq » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:03 am

what is the best skill to work on if you want to improve on the LR questions. I have used the ps books. they are good, but i am looking for any other insight. thanks.

Nonok

Re: LR questions

Postby Nonok » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 am

A lot of people say go through every question on the test and see why each answer choice is wrong/right. I just went through the ones I ended up missing and wrote out why I missed it.

The Manhattan forums are good for questions you're stumped on (http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/) or post about questions here. Search first though!

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 am

i'm going to assume you've learned most of what the PS books have taught you so i'll go into stuff that i've learned on my own

the best skill to work on to improve LR is being able to read and understand as much as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.

"to read and understand" when you read through the stimulus, on the first read, be able to call out which part is the conclusion, which parts supports which parts. if the conclusion is illicitly reached, you should be very aware of that. example: "Jersey girls wear skirts. Thus, Jamie wears skirts." Right away you should be aware there is a missing assumption.

"as much as possible" this is hard. ideally, you can get all the important points in one read, but questions can become more difficult w/ numbers, "most," "all," "some" and all that

"in the shortest amount of time possible" in the end, w/ a speeded test like the LSAT, you gotta go fast but w/o sacrificing accuracy. my policy was if i couldn't get a basic understanding of the stimuli, question, and answer choices (basically if i couldn't immediately eliminate 3 ACs), then i moved on, skipped it, marked to return to later. then i'd have maybe 5-7 minutes at the end to go back and i had more time and more confidence since i know i have 3-4 questions to finish in 5-7 min.

hope this helps.

and i agree w/ above poster, definitely review. if you don't review every wrong question, and every question you got right but were stumped on, then you will not improve as quickly. it is better to take 15 PTs and review each one really well than take 30PTs and review haphazardly
Last edited by tourdeforcex on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:14 am

oP, theres a ton of threads on this, the search button is your friend.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 am

tourdeforcex wrote:"in the shortest amount of time possible" in the end, w/ a speeded test like the LSAT, you gotta go fast but w/o sacrificing accuracy. my policy was if i couldn't get a basic understanding of the stimuli, question, and answer choices (basically if i couldn't immediately eliminate 3 ACs), then i moved on, skipped it, marked to return to later. then i'd have maybe 5-7 minutes at the end to go back and i had more time and more confidence since i know i have 3-4 questions to finish in 5-7 min.

I really like this idea. When I take PTs I take too long on questions that I don't fully understand. If I end up having to retake then I'll start practicing like this.

cbq

Postby cbq » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:18 pm

thanks for the posts.
yes i know how to use the search button. didn't find what i was looking for so i used the post button. douche bag.

dccoope

Postby dccoope » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:20 pm

This thread may be helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127904#p3377198

cbq

Postby cbq » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 pm

thank you very much dccoope!! looks like very good links..

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:05 am

cbq wrote:thanks for the posts.
yes i know how to use the search button. didn't find what i was looking for so i used the post button. douche bag.

People aren't going to do research for you, for every question you have theirs a topic somewhere talking about it. Douche bag.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”