Help with LR Struggles

Sh@keNb@ke

Help with LR Struggles

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Went through the LRB several times and then did untimed sections for LR. Got to the point where I was missing 3 questions untimed and then all of the sudden I turn on the 35 minute time limit a couple of days ago and I'm missing around 10 PER section. The timing aspect of the section is really killing me and I'm really overthinking questions as I would tend to do when I would take the sections untimed. Should I continue to review my mistakes and keep doing LR sections timed? Thanks for the help in advance.

ren2011

Re: Help with LR Struggles

Postby ren2011 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Absolutely continue doing these timed. The timing is what makes LR (well all of the LSAT, really) difficult. One strategy you can use is to skip a few of the most difficult ones, and spend more time on the medium-difficult ones you're missing. Instead of getting a -10, you could spend twice as much time on 1/2 the questions and get a -5.

/ $.02

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Yea thats the issue with doing untimed sections. Just keep doing them timed and make sure you go back and see what you missed. At some point it won't even be looking at a LR question as Weaken or whatever the powerscore bible classifies them as but rather what kind of answer the test writers look for.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 pm

At a certain point it clicks and you will instinctively know the answer. I know this has been beaten to death, but for any LR question type other than strengthen/weaken/paradox (or any question that says if true), pre-phrase your answer before going through the AC's. I foudn when doing that I would always find an answer that fit my pre-phrasing and helped me avoid well written traps. It may take time to develop this skill but you should be able to do it.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:50 pm

One thing that helped me was to have someone mark the ones I got wrong (or just quickly write the incorrect #s so you dont remember the answer) after a section and then go back to those questions and try to pick the right answer from the remaining four (and dont guess until your absolutlely stumped). That way you are still training your brain to figure out why an answer is right without already knowing it is right, and it is especially helpful because its questions you got wrong. I think this helped me recognize patterns of when I was picking a trap answer over the correct one, which helped my timing issues.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:54 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:One thing that helped me was to have someone mark the ones I got wrong (or just quickly write the incorrect #s so you dont remember the answer) after a section and then go back to those questions and try to pick the right answer from the remaining four (and dont guess until your absolutlely stumped). That way you are still training your brain to figure out why an answer is right without already knowing it is right, and it is especially helpful because its questions you got wrong. I think this helped me recognize patterns of when I was picking a trap answer over the correct one, which helped my timing issues.

I always did this as well, I would mark it myself circling on the scantron what answers I got wrong and by the time I was done I didnt remember which letter was the right one, but having someone else do it is better so you can't cheat :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”