Are you ready for total DOMINATION?!! (Feb. 2011)

Dotson525

Re: The Slightly More Official February 2011 LSAT Thread

Postby Dotson525 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:06 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I thought June 2007 was pretty easy, but I did score a bit lower than usual. It has a -8 curve.

I thought it sucked, only because it was the free test LSAC gave me months ago. -8 curve for a diagnostic? Come on, bro! Way to scare me.

Pleasye wrote:

Took 62 today. I don't even know....I'm just so glad I didn't take that test. UGH.

Got a 156 :cry: :cry: :cry:

62 is the devil and I hate it. I had to sign up for February after taking it as the real thing in December. F that test.

Me too! Glad to hear I'm not alone. LG is usually my greatest strength, but proved me wrong. Talk about no vasoline. lol

wolfpack37

Postby wolfpack37 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:40 pm

After getting 171,170,171,170,171 on my last 5 PT's I may have finally had a breakthrough!!!! (although in all likelihood I'm actually seeing that random variation that didn't really appear on my last 5 PT's) and I got a 174 and 175 today, yaaaaay

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:37 am

99.9luft wrote:btw, Schope, how is the Odyssey going? I have about 50 questions to go and so far i missed 43 (12%). Aren't some of these 90s questions super tricky?

Too many contenders, yadadamean?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:43 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
99.9luft wrote:btw, Schope, how is the Odyssey going? I have about 50 questions to go and so far i missed 43 (12%). Aren't some of these 90s questions super tricky?

Too many contenders, yadadamean?

nope, whacha talkin' about?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Meh, too much apathy. Only released test I haven't seen is 62, and I was going to drive up to my testing center really early and take it at 8, but I just don't want to. Revised plan is to take it on Wednesday, and then just figure out what I'll do from there based on how I handle 62. I've skipped my last two scheduled tests, and one scheduled section. At this point I probably deserve a lower score, but I feel like if I can just ace games for once on the real thing, I will almost certainly improve. I just have no motivation at all to leave the house to do LSAT stuff.

Lasker

Postby Lasker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Just did PT 62.

This was the first LG I have ever failed to finish, which feels terrible coming so close to the test. I have been feeling pretty burnt out, but I guess I need to take a little bit more time on LG this week. ugh. Was really hoping to rest on my previous studying.

The first game took me 9 minutes which is way too long given the moderate-easy difficulty of the game. Stained glass took 12 minutes, which I feel is not that bad given its difficulty. I ended up with nine minutes left to do the third game after completing the fourth first, and while that should have been enough time to do most of the Qs, I was so psychologically frazzled I only completed 2 before resorting to guessing. -4 on the section overall.

I think I need to get back in the habit of front-loading games, making frames, ensuring that I have all the inferences, etc. before going on to the questions. It feels scary in the moment but it really is the best way. In general, if one is forced to "plug and chug", I believe it is a strong sign that something has been missed.

RC and LR felt pretty normal to me this test. The second LR may have been slightly more difficult than usual.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Took PT 62 this morning. No idea what the fuss over stained glass was. For me, LR was much tougher than usual. Am happy with my 171. Hopefully a 173+ is in the stars for me come test day!

I'm planning on doing light review this week and finishing with PT 61 on Thursday. Does this sound like too much too close to test day? I plan on doing no review/very light skimming of the bibles Friday to give myself a full day off.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Caved and took PT 62 after all, under the influence of a 5 hour energy extra strength. Hadn't had it in a long time and it made me jittery. 173. Oh well.

Spent 15 minutes on stained glass and still missed a question on it because I was being an idiot. Then had to guess on the last 3 questions of the really easy game at the end, missing 2/3 of those. Overall -10. -3 RC was a little annoying, LR was -1 and -3, and the -3 was on a section I finished with 14 minutes to spare and went over extensively. Mildly discouraging. Will retake 61 on Wednesday and see if I can get a 180 in time to build confidence for Saturday.
Last edited by Kabuo on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Instead of doing a whole PT, I took two sections on separate days for PT 43. Got a 170. Hopefully I can pull off something similar on the real thing. Anyways, hope all you guys are gonna be watching the Super Bowl. Go Packers!

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 am

Pleasye wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:LG was a goddamn time vampire.

How could I take that test and score at the same level of my second PT ever? RAGE. My best section was a -6 as well. First LR was -10. FML, right?

Yeah, I scored 1 point higher than the score I'm retaking...with like 3 extra months of prep. I would die if that was my real score.

I noticed only a slight improvement within LR, and I decided to revisit the PowerScore LR bible. My weakness was within Suffient Assumptions (with Powerscore listed under Justify). After reviewing and putting process to work, noticed dramatic improvement. A refresher course/review is sometimes is what all that is needed.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 am

Let's get excited, people! It's all about the mindset this week. I, for one, cannot wait to get this shit behind me and move on with my life. I wish all of you the best of luck in finalizing your prep, especially your mental prep. We're gonna be wonderful! :)

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 am

After taking another PT I am noticing a slight drop in RC. In past, RC was usually one of strengths. After much thought I came to the realization that I may have relied more on memory. Within the past year, I've noticed my memory starting to slightly decline. Anyway, is there anyone here that don't/can't rely mainly on memory for RC passages. If so are there any specific tips that you've learned when outlining/noting/circling passages? Basically, I'll have to approach RC in a different manner than years past.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 am

Dotson525 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

How could I take that test and score at the same level of my second PT ever? RAGE. My best section was a -6 as well. First LR was -10. FML, right?

Yeah, I scored 1 point higher than the score I'm retaking...with like 3 extra months of prep. I would die if that was my real score.

I noticed only a slight improvement within LR, and I decided to revisit the PowerScore LR bible. My weakness was within Suffient Assumptions (with Powerscore listed under Justify). After reviewing and putting process to work, noticed dramatic improvement. A refresher course/review is sometimes is what all that is needed.

Thanks Dotson. I'm definitely going to be doing review and lots of LG drills this week.

Contemplating a PT on Wednesday but not sure if I'm going to do it.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 am

I'm planning two more PTs -- 60 tomorrow and 61 on Wednesday.

I can't believe it's only six days away. Where did all the time go?

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:58 am

Pleasye wrote:
Dotson525 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Thanks Dotson. I'm definitely going to be doing review and lots of LG drills this week.

Contemplating a PT on Wednesday but not sure if I'm going to do it.

I noticed that within RC your scores are pretty consistent. I've notice a slight decline within my RC. After much review I've narrowed it down to memory. Any advice or tips?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 am

Dotson525 wrote:I noticed that within RC your scores are pretty consistent. I've notice a slight decline within my RC. After much review I've narrowed it down to memory. Any advice or tips?

I don't think I have any great tips. RC seems to be a very "whatever works for you" type of thing. What works for me is reading through the passage (not slow and not skimming but quickly), writing things like "authors opinion", "critics", "example" on the sides and underlining random things to keep me going. This usually gives me enough time so that if I need to go back to the passage for one or two questions I can do so. I don't think this is particularly helpful but I hope this helps a little!

wolfpack37

Postby wolfpack37 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 am

Dotson525 wrote:

I noticed that within RC your scores are pretty consistent. I've notice a slight decline within my RC. After much review I've narrowed it down to memory. Any advice or tips?

I was consistently getting -5/-6 in RC and nearly running out of time or running out of time for every RC section and improved to -2/-3 just by slowing down. Since you're guessing you were doing well by doing it from memory (which is what I'm doing now), I'd say just try to make sure you're really staying interested and focused on the passage so you really grasp whatever it's trying to say. If you catch yourself drifting off, read back a couple sentences and keep trying to stay focused, that seemed to work for me. Then tackling the questions, all but 1 or 2 of them should be answerable from memory, and you should have time still to refer to the passage for those 1 or 2 questions. my $.02

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 pm

wolfpack37 wrote:
Dotson525 wrote:

I was consistently getting -5/-6 in RC and nearly running out of time or running out of time for every RC section and improved to -2/-3 just by slowing down. Since you're guessing you were doing well by doing it from memory (which is what I'm doing now), I'd say just try to make sure you're really staying interested and focused on the passage so you really grasp whatever it's trying to say. If you catch yourself drifting off, read back a couple sentences and keep trying to stay focused, that seemed to work for me. Then tackling the questions, all but 1 or 2 of them should be answerable from memory, and you should have time still to refer to the passage for those 1 or 2 questions. my $.02

Thanks for the tips. Hoping to get more advice from my post. I noticed sometimes if the passage list two or more items I'll accidentily swap their meanings. My memory in the past used to be really strong. So its hard not to rely on it now. :?

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 pm

I think I'm changing my mind about taking more PTs before Saturday. My last couple of scores were really good and I'm afraid of undermining my confidence (which is really important, IMO) by getting a less-than-stellar score in the last week before the test. Instead, I think I am going to focus on waking up early every day and taking one section of a PT so that I can get used to that sort of thinking at that time of morning and do some low-stress review.

I don't know if that strategy'll work, but I'm hoping it'll keep me from freaking out.

acadec

Re: Are you ready for total DOMINATION?!! (Feb. 2011)

Postby acadec » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Like the new topic title. Let's get it done.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I have done a few LG sections and my scores have been -1 to -3. Will do a couple more LG sections today. Did a couple LR sections as well and score -2 and -4 respectively. Decided that I will do PT 58 tomorrow, just 4 sections though. I have seen this test before and figure I should do well on this test and it would be nice to have a confidence booster going into this weekend.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Did the infamous PT 57 LG section today and got a -0! Best score on LG while studying for Feb LSAT! I was scheduled to do another LG section from PT 56 today, but I am just going to use that an experimental on PT 58 tomorrow. Here's to hoping for 170+ on PT 58 tomorrow.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Last edited by kulshan on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Going to go out to eat and get some cardio done in the morning on Friday. I find that doing 30-40 mins of cardio during the day helps me sleep well at night. After tomorrow, I am just going to review the LR and RC questions I missed on the tests I took, but besides that, there will be no more LSAT related work. Can't wait to get to saturday and murder this test! Need to come up with some good pump up music to listen to this whole week. Let me know if you guys know of any good music that pumps you up.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Considering doing a PT on Wednesday as the last one. Should I do B or C (tests that I have never seen before) or 58 or 59 (seen a long long time ago and a much more recent test)?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”