Are you ready for total DOMINATION?!! (Feb. 2011)

99.9luft

Re: The Slightly More Official February 2011 LSAT Thread

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I freaking KILLED dinos today. Finished it in under 8 minutes and got them all right -- not sure why there's so much hype about its difficulty. Made me happy, especially since I had a horrible morning and spent several hours in tears. But I was determined to do one LSAT related thing today, despite my circumstances, and to kick its ass. And I did. Missed one on the whole LG section of PT57 and none on the dinos.

I didn't do a whole PT like I'd planned, but given the situation I've been faced with, I was pretty pleased with what I did accomplish.

Small victories, man. Small victories.

good job, vissi! i remember being the same way in the fall. Killed the dinos and got 2 wrong on the simple games.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Trudat: see how you do on your first PT and then worry about that.

Originally took in June. PT average around 173-5 (though had a smattering of 179s thrown in). Got a 174, so right in line.

Helped gf prepare in Oct/Dec (originally a Oct retake that was extended to Dec). Felt like I learned a lot more of the material by teaching it to her. By the end , I felt reasonably comfortable with most problems.

I ED'd, so not in line for any money, but talked to the Dean of Admissions who said that they would take a new score into consideration. Thought that even if raising it a few points can get me even just 5k, it's worth the $150 or so to do it. Cold PT this weekend was 170 for the Oct test (PT 60 I think).

Dont have a lot of material to prep with. Dec test, and maybe some of the really older ones.

Well, sounds like you're in about the same boat I was in when I took a PT cold after not touching anything LSAT related in a couple months. I got a 172 on that "cold" one, and have since gotten back to averaging 176 within 4 weeks of study. I only do PTs on weekends though, so you might be able to get all the way back in the swing of things faster if you can work a lot during the week too. I've been going through the 40s though, and they were fresh for me.

I don't understand your situation though. Have you been accepted? Or are you still under review, just as an ED applicant? My feeling is that if you think there's a reasonable shot you could improve your score and it isn't going to negatively impact any of your outstanding apps, then there's no good reason not to. I'm retaking my score to bump up my anticipated scholly offer from WUSTL and maybe get me off the waitlists I know are coming from Mich, Cornell, and GULC. I figure if the stars align and I go way up, like 177+, I'll just move to VA and be assured a spot at UVA in state next year while giving myself a very outside shot at a T6. So for me, there was really no reason not to retake.

SKI

Postby SKI » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:19 pm

Word, nice work vissidarte27. I didn't think the dinos lived up to the hype either (I mean, you're already given 3/5 colors). Besides, any game taken individually cannot be that difficult-- these things are DESIGNED to be solved in under 9 minutes.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm

I just re-tried dinos with Atlas's frame approach, where you figure out all the logical possibilities of a game that has good restrictions. Got it at a decent time (i.e., sub 8-9 minutes) for the first time. I'll try to picture it below. The set-up takes about 3-4 minutes, but then the questions are super easy.

If U and V are both out:
m m r g y
T L S I P - U and V out

If V is out
m m r g/y ?
U/L T S I/P U/L - V and either I or P out, easy to figure out during questions

If U is out
m m r g/y ?
VLT VLT S I/P VLT - U and either I or P out

If T is out
m m r g y
L V S I P - T and U are out

There's a couple more you can do, but you might want to save them. I know this looks unwieldy, and when I first started working with the frames, I felt like it might be a time sink. But it's kind of saving my life on this bigger, more complex games. It helps me see that there are limited possibilities. Plus, when you have them set up, you literally fly through the questions. Trust me. The above might take you five minutes to do and be satisfied with, but you'll be done with the questions in like, 2-4 minutes depending on how much you trust yourself.... Just another option for people looking at how to deal with stuff like this.

Edit add: formatting looks different than I intended, but the idea comes across.

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 pm

99.9luft wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:I freaking KILLED dinos today. Finished it in under 8 minutes and got them all right -- not sure why there's so much hype about its difficulty. Made me happy, especially since I had a horrible morning and spent several hours in tears. But I was determined to do one LSAT related thing today, despite my circumstances, and to kick its ass. And I did. Missed one on the whole LG section of PT57 and none on the dinos.

I didn't do a whole PT like I'd planned, but given the situation I've been faced with, I was pretty pleased with what I did accomplish.

Small victories, man. Small victories.

good job, vissi! i remember being the same way in the fall. Killed the dinos and got 2 wrong on the simple games.

Me too. For me it was the simple game before it, three actors. :?

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 pm

mr_toad wrote:I just re-tried dinos with Atlas's frame approach, where you figure out all the logical possibilities of a game that has good restrictions. Got it at a decent time (i.e., sub 8-9 minutes) for the first time. I'll try to picture it below. The set-up takes about 3-4 minutes, but then the questions are super easy.

If U and V are both out:
m m r g y
T L S I P - U and V out

If V is out
m m r g/y ?
U/L T S I/P U/L - V and either I or P out, easy to figure out during questions

If U is out
m m r g/y ?
VLT VLT S I/P VLT - U and either I or P out

If T is out
m m r g y
L V S I P - T and U are out

There's a couple more you can do, but you might want to save them. I know this looks unwieldy, and when I first started working with the frames, I felt like it might be a time sink. But it's kind of saving my life on this bigger, more complex games. It helps me see that there are limited possibilities. Plus, when you have them set up, you literally fly through the questions. Trust me. The above might take you five minutes to do and be satisfied with, but you'll be done with the questions in like, 2-4 minutes depending on how much you trust yourself.... Just another option for people looking at how to deal with stuff like this.

Edit add: formatting looks different than I intended, but the idea comes across.

I agree setting them up makes the game much easier. With these games I automatically do 2 sets, while combining rules.
First set up has v (meaning no u), added S (bc of def. Red)
Second set up has lu
Mix match IPT within both (Remember make each different. If one includes T, other include I or P)

Postby 8675309 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 am

I just did Dino's (for the first time), and at first I thought it was difficult, but then it wasn't to me. I think I'm grasping everything a lot better. I wish I would have discovered this place before I took my LSAT, you guys keep me motivated and you help me with new study tricks :)

kswalters

Postby kswalters » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:19 pm

I just want to say that...I'm getting worse! I took the December test (studied for two months before) and decided to retake after getting a lower score than I anticipate. I've studied nearly every day since the Dec scores came out. I even hired a private tutor. I've dedicated 2-5 hours every day to studying and 4-8 hours on Sat/Sun. While my score is up from Dec (avg. 5-8 points), it's started going back down! I'm so frustrated.

I just wanted to vent and share the agony with people who might understand!!! Thanks for listening!

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Burn out. Take it easy for a couple of days, then light studying up until the test. Trust me, I've been there. Take 1-2 days completely off, then a few more of your 2-4 hr days, then maybe the whole 1-2 days before the test, maximum 30-60 minutes. Don't score anything from those last two days. You're practicing to stay in practice, not to test yourself into depression.

kswalters

Postby kswalters » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 pm

mr_toad wrote:Burn out. Take it easy for a couple of days, then light studying up until the test. Trust me, I've been there. Take 1-2 days completely off, then a few more of your 2-4 hr days, then maybe the whole 1-2 days before the test, maximum 30-60 minutes. Don't score anything from those last two days. You're practicing to stay in practice, not to test yourself into depression.

Yeah, I am definitely on the path to testing myself into depression. Thank you for the advice. That sounds like a good plan.

SKI

Postby SKI » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:15 pm

kswalters: I totally understand where you're coming from-- burnout can be especially dangerous as we approach test day and are tempted to squeeze in as much work as possible. I hit my breaking point last week when my PT scores kept going down instead of up. I threw in the towel and took a couple of days off. On the first night off, I went out with some friends and had a really good time, which helped a lot because my mind was taken completely off of the LSAT. I was reminded that I have many good people & things in my life, and the LSAT is certainly NOT a necessary condition to happiness in life.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 pm

PT 56 today.

LG: -3
LR: -5
LR: -8
RC: -2

82 Raw
165 Scaled.

Back on track! Thank goodness because I was freaking out. Taking the weekend off definitely helped me a lot.

My LR is still shiiitty but I'm happy to see a raw and scaled score in the same range as I was practicing before.

kswalters: It definitely sounds like you're burnt out. Take a few days off!

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Good job Pleasye! I was rooting for you. I got a 159 on last test due to burn out and I am hoping that my next test will be in my regular PT range. I would be happy with 165 or higher. Going to take PT 43 Thursday and then only a couple sections here and there until game day. No point in trying to do anymore tests for me.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 pm

risktaker wrote:Good job Pleasye! I was rooting for you. I got a 159 on last test due to burn out and I am hoping that my next test will be in my regular PT range. I would be happy with 165 or higher. Going to take PT 43 Thursday and then only a couple sections here and there until game day. No point in trying to do anymore tests for me.

Thank you! I'm sure you will be fine as long as you take a little bit of time off. I never thought I would get burnt out but apparently it happens to a lot of people haha :)

Looks like we're aiming for the same score range. I would be okay with anything higher than 161-ish but would really like 165 up. I don't want to get my hopes up for anything though, we'll see what happens.

P.S. LOVE the new tar! <3

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Thank you. I am a huge niners and sf giants fan. Giants World Series champs, woot woot!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:42 pm

risktaker wrote:Thank you. I am a huge niners and sf giants fan. Giants World Series champs, woot woot!

I don't care much for baseball at all, but Go Niners.

butter33

Postby butter33 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:29 pm

my cold diag was 162, and every test since then has been a 168. not a single 167 or 169 even. i really want to get a 170 but i just can't.

i usually get -0 on LG (-1 in all my PTs together), about -2/3 for each LR and lose all the rest on RC. i'm a fast reader but the science passages really throw me a lottttttt. riddled basins of attraction i only got 1 correct. (although today i was -2 from RC :) and still got 168....)

anyone got help on how to boost RC, especially science passages?

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 am

butter33 wrote:my cold diag was 162, and every test since then has been a 168. not a single 167 or 169 even. i really want to get a 170 but i just can't.

i usually get -0 on LG (-1 in all my PTs together), about -2/3 for each LR and lose all the rest on RC. i'm a fast reader but the science passages really throw me a lottttttt. riddled basins of attraction i only got 1 correct. (although today i was -2 from RC :) and still got 168....)

anyone got help on how to boost RC, especially science passages?

I've been working with Voyager's RC strategy. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240
Noticed up to 5 points in improvement (started strategy yesterday). The keys are practice, learning what to underline/circle, effective shorthand notes, and active reading.
Good Luck :)

butter33

Postby butter33 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 am

i read that before today's -2 on RC and i'm hoping it wasn't just a fluke. i didn't feel like i had a greater comprehension of the passages but numbers don't lie. if i keep my RC around -2 i'll be happy...

thanks for the advice!

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 am

Took PT 53 today.

LR1: -2
LG: -0
LR2: -1
RC: -3

Raw score: 94
Scaled score: 175

Unfortunately, I don't think this is an accurate reflection of my LSAT skills, as I took this particular test three weeks or a month ago. While I worked from clean copies today and didn't remember details from the first time I took it (my memories were mostly "This game was hard" or "This passage was boring"), I think the familiarity with the questions probably helped. The first time I took it, it broke down like this:

LR1: -5
LG: -2
LR2: -4
RC: -10

Raw score: 79
Scaled score: 162

Obviously, there was improvement, but I don't feel as good about it as I'd like to because I don't feel like my results are "real."

I'm retaking tests because I'm trying to conserve new material, but I don't know if that's a helpful strategy or not.

Anybody have any particularly strong opinions on studying with tests you've already taken?

Postby 8675309 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 am

I had to take a day off today. I'm exhausted from this and school. Is it bad that I felt guilty and did a section of Logic Games?! Boy did that exemplify my exhaustion.

Too bad classes weren't cancelled here tomorrow, I could use a full day study session. Snowpocolypse has failed me by being 50 miles north.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:19 am

vissidarte27 wrote:I'm retaking tests because I'm trying to conserve new material, but I don't know if that's a helpful strategy or not.

Anybody have any particularly strong opinions on studying with tests you've already taken?

Why are you trying to conserve material? We only have two weeks to go. I say use fresh tests now and if you end up having to retake then deal with retaking tests then.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:41 am

Pleasye wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:I'm retaking tests because I'm trying to conserve new material, but I don't know if that's a helpful strategy or not.

Why are you trying to conserve material? We only have two weeks to go. I say use fresh tests now and if you end up having to retake then deal with retaking tests then.

The only tests I have with me (I'm on the road for work) are 56, 58, 59, 60, and 61. I was hoping to save them until closer to the end.

I bought some of the tests before that, but they were shipped to my home address in Chicago and when my dad tried to send them, the package got held at the border (I'm in Canada). They needed all kinds of forms (copy of my passport, copy of my itinerary, list of all items in the package, a detailed letter stating who I am, why I'm in Canada, how long I've been here, how long I'm going to be here, what the things in the package are, why I need them, and that I'll be taking them with me back to the States) and it would take too much time to process. The package would get here after I've left, so I had them send it back home.

Oy.

It's been a huge hassle. Point is -- I don't have any other tests. I have access to PDF files, but I feel kind of weird about using them (and I don't have a printer with which to print them out). It feels unethical or something. I don't know. Maybe I'm being an idiot and I should just figure out a way to use them.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 am

vissidarte27 wrote:It's been a huge hassle. Point is -- I don't have any other tests. I have access to PDF files, but I feel kind of weird about using them (and I don't have a printer with which to print them out). It feels unethical or something. I don't know. Maybe I'm being an idiot and I should just figure out a way to use them.

WTF? Go to a copy center and print out a couple tests. Or Wal-mart, buy an inkjet printer for $30. If the pdfs are legit, you have the right to use them.

SKI

Postby SKI » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm

vissidarte27: FWIW, I don't think there's much value in retaking RC or LR, unless you are having difficulty understanding the questions. However, I do think retaking difficult games is useful in that it can help you see new inferences and serve as practice to speed up your setup time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”