Are you ready for total DOMINATION?!! (Feb. 2011)

vissidarte27

Re: The Slightly More Official February 2011 LSAT Thread

Postby vissidarte27 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Finally got time to do a full five-section timed PT.

PT 55 Oct 2008

RC (exp): -4
LG1: -6
RC: -6
LR2: -5
LG: -2

Raw score: 81
Scaled score: 162 :oops:

I don't even know what to say at this point because I didn't think this test was particularly hard -- I thought I'd get 165 or 166 at the lowest and had hoped to hit something closer to 170. Like... I bombed this and had no idea. How do you fix that?

I am glad that the LG didn't suck, though, especially since it had one of the games that I know tripped some people up (the people getting on and off the bus at different points). But beyond that, I'm pretty disappointed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be retaking in June. Sigh.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Hey again, test-takers. I was hanging out ITT offering LSAT advice about a week ago. If anybody wants some more, just holler.

(Qualifications: -0 on PT 52 this past weekend)

SKI

Postby SKI » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:02 am

I've been PTing between 165-169, and my target is 170+. I'm starting to think there's no point in keeping the February score, unless for some reason I felt it went exceptionally well. I would think the actual score would tend to be lower than the PT scores, and it's much better to cancel a test than have a low score on record.

I suppose all this speculating is nonsense since I still have 2.5 weeks until the test. I'm just bugging out because I hate the idea of going through all this studying again; plus I'll have very little time in June to devote to preparation. Yet I have no idea how to make sure I can score consistently in the right place in so little time...

Sorry if all that crap demoralized anyone ITT.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 am

about to drop one of my classes to make more time for studying. getting legit discouraged and the cancel and postpone dates have passed. ugh.

SKI

Postby SKI » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:09 am

xyzzzzzzzz-- I hear you. I dropped a winter course to make time to study, which makes it even more frustrating that I'm not getting the results I want. Now I'll be one of the few MBA students who has to go to summer school in order to graduate on time.

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 am

99.9luft wrote:
Dotson525 wrote:I don't know if its just me, so putting the question out there...
I noticed for incorrect answers, the correct choice was essentially my first choice (occurs in LR). I'm debating on just going with my first choice. Any thoughts?

tried that, doesn't work because it's too simplistic of a strategy

What you really need to do is thoroughly understand why on earth are you choosing smth OTHER than the right answer.

Thanks, going to use this review PT again tomorrow. Also, talked to a friend that is currently teaching and explained my situation. He stated that its the skill that needs to be worked upon. I understand what is needed for each question type, but have been noticing problems concerning "most strongly support". Tomorrow going to "dissect" each incorrect question. Hopefully, this helps. I'm running out of ideas. lol

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 am

Do you guys think it's possible to go from a 162 to a 170 in the next two and a half weeks (if I was scoring between 168 and 173 on older PTs and experienced a large score drop once I started doing the PTs in the 50s)?

Is there any hope at all or am I totally screwed?

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:06 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Do you guys think it's possible to go from a 162 to a 170 in the next two and a half weeks (if I was scoring between 168 and 173 on older PTs and experienced a large score drop once I started doing the PTs in the 50s)?

On how many in the 50s have you gotten near 162? Is the drop concentrated in one section?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:07 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Do you guys think it's possible to go from a 162 to a 170 in the next two and a half weeks (if I was scoring between 168 and 173 on older PTs and experienced a large score drop once I started doing the PTs in the 50s)?

:?

I don't want to tell you that there's no hope at all because you obviously have the ability to score that high. However, from the standpoint of someone who was scoring close to their target score, crossed their fingers and hoped for a miracle in October, I have to say....it's time to consider not taking February. OR make sure you're okay with taking it and canceling your score.

I took October when I wasn't ready and I somewhat regret it and somewhat don't. I regret that I couldn't recognize that LSAT miracles don't happen and that I wasn't going to get what I wanted. But at the same time I'm glad I took it because it was a wake up call that made me realize I needed to work much harder if I wanted to get what I wanted.

/Preachiness

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:22 am

I did not do any PTs above the 30s before taking the LSAT in October, so I don't have experience with them. However, the nerves of taking the test the first time got me in Oct and I ran out of time on 3 sections, random bubbling NINE questions. I got lucky, with some decent random bubbling, but scored fairly lower than on PTs, which was around 172-177.

Point being, if you got rid of the random bubbling, I scored around where I did on early PTs, in October. So I think it is possible that you can hit your PT average from earlier tests, on more recent tests. I don't know what to say as far as your scores on tests in the 50s, because I haven't done any yet. I did just buy 4, which I will do this week and next, so I suppose I can update then.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
On how many in the 50s have you gotten near 162? Is the drop concentrated in one section?

Four tests. I did better on PT62 (168), but not well enough to make myself feel better.

The drop is not concentrated in one section, I've pretty much taken hits across the board. On the older tests (30s), I'd have something like this:

LR1: -4
LR2: -3
LG: -0
RC: -2

Now, I'll miss up to six on LR and RC (I even missed 8 on RC once) and two or three in LG.

I'm not really sure what to do about it, honestly.

I think part of it is attributable to a less-than-consistent practice schedule due to some pretty nasty outside circumstances (the PT I took today was the first full one in over a week because of things beyond my control). My circumstances have more or less resolved themselves and I am now able to PT every day and I'm hoping that I'll bring my score back up to my former numbers, but I'm not sure how to do that besides PTing and reviewing.

My raw scores have gotten better, if that matters. Marginally, but they have improved since my first 50s PT.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 am

I think it's possible. But I don't think it's likely. Sorry.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:37 am

Pleasye wrote: :?

I don't want to tell you that there's no hope at all because you obviously have the ability to score that high. However, from the standpoint of someone who was scoring close to their target score, crossed their fingers and hoped for a miracle in October, I have to say....it's time to consider not taking February. OR make sure you're okay with taking it and canceling your score.

I took October when I wasn't ready and I somewhat regret it and somewhat don't. I regret that I couldn't recognize that LSAT miracles don't happen and that I wasn't going to get what I wanted. But at the same time I'm glad I took it because it was a wake up call that made me realize I needed to work much harder if I wanted to get what I wanted.

/Preachiness

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't want to not take February. I've been studying since October and I feel like I have a decent grasp of the material and that I was thrown by the shift in the test between 30 and 50 (I wonder if I would have experienced such a drastic drop had I done the 40s) and because of my whole scabies situation, I never got the chance to address the issue.

My circumstances are more favorable now and I can really attack this thing and I'm hoping that with rigorous studying, I can get past this 162/163/164 thing. I know I have the ability to score well on this test. It's not like I've never had high scores -- I was hitting 170 pretty consistently before.

I'm guess wondering if I'll be okay once I get acclimated to the higher difficulty level, if it's like altitude in that respect.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:43 am

vissidarte27 wrote:I understand where you're coming from, but I don't want to not take February. I've been studying since October and I feel like I have a decent grasp of the material and that I was thrown by the shift in the test between 30 and 50 (I wonder if I would have experienced such a drastic drop had I done the 40s) and because of my whole scabies situation, I never got the chance to address the issue.

I'm wondering if I'll be okay once I get acclimated to the higher difficulty level, if it's like altitude in that respect.

I know you really don't want to change your test date and I don't really think you have to. Just make sure that you are okay with having a possibly lower score. I thought I would be fine having a lower score and retaking (which I obviously am now), but when I first got my score I was REALLY discouraged and felt like I would never get better. It was sucky, but it's not a huge deal. I think you will be fine <3

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am

was 62 October? I scored high in all PTs through the 30s. I never did any 40s or 50s (so it's possible I would have done miserably on them), but I got a 168 in October.

*trying to throw in some positivity, because I don't think a good score is impossible for you.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am

October is 61. December is 62

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 am

Pleasye wrote:October is 61. December is 62

shoot, well, hopefully similar message still!

I will be taking some 50s tests this week, so we'll see if I bomb those, to give some more insight to my experience...(hoping I don't though)

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:50 am

JenDarby wrote:was 62 October? I scored high in all PTs through the 30s. I never did any 40s or 50s (so it's possible I would have done miserably on them), but I got a 168 in October.

*trying to throw in some positivity, because I don't think a good score is impossible for you.

Positivity is appreciated, thanks. :)

It's nice to know that it's possible to hit earlier PT scores. I think I'd even be happy with something in the high 160s (I'd still retake in June, but I don't think I'd feel totally discouraged). Frankly, I think part of it is a confidence issue. I had heard so much about how the newer tests were harder and so when I started taking them, I psyched myself out a little. I'm second guessing myself a lot and there were several that I missed today that I'd originally marked correctly and then changed.

I feel like I lost my LSAT mojo.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:02 am

vissidarte27 wrote:I feel like I lost my LSAT mojo.

+1, ugh. Let's get that shit back.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:10 am

Okay, in order to have mojo, I need a plan. So here is my schedule for the time between now and the test:

1/26 – PT41
1/27 – PT43
1/28 – PT44
1/29 – PT45
1/30 – PT 47
1/31 – PT48 (possible day off if burnout is too intense)
2/1 – PT50
2/2 – PT 51
2/3 – PT 56
2/4 – PT 57
2/5 – Travel day Calgary to Chicago OFF
2/6 – PT 58
2/7 – PT59
2/8 – Travel day Chicago to San Diego OFF
2/9 – PT 60
2/10 – PT 61
2/11 – OFF
2/12 – CONQUER THE MOTHEREFFING LSAT!!

I think that it will help me to go through the 40s -- I'm psyching myself out and I think if I was to do everything in logical, chronological order, I'd be better able to absorb whatever changes there were in terms of degrees of difficulty and my scores won't suffer as much. I want to go back to something a little earlier to restore my confidence and I think that'll get me back on track.

I will divide up the tests I'm not taking and use them as experimental sections. I will focus my experimental sections on both LR and RC, since they are markedly weaker than my LG.

I will take tests in the mornings when I can (ie when I don't have to work at 9am), but when I can't, I will make time for them later in the day.

I will review all of my tests the same day that I take them. I will not let frustration at my score keep me from improving.

I will not make excuses and I will not let circumstances determine my test prep. I'm still studying even if I get the black freaking plague.

I will not let a number determine my self-worth. I will not equate my LSAT score with my value as a person or with my intelligence. I will not fall into the "this score determines my entire life" mindset.

I refuse to let this stupid thing beat me. Refuse.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:16 am

Vissidarte, I admire your determination, but I think you're going to risk some burnout with that plan. I read peoples' warnings about burnout and decided I was immune because I was that much more motivated than them, but I had major burnout 2 weeks before the test, dropping from my PT avg of 173 down to my lowest ever LSAT (PT or real), a 163 on PT 57. I ended up taking 8 full days off after that, after I had been doing a PT every other day for 2 months, and the next PT I took was my first 180. I guess what I'm advising is to stick to your plan, but if you feel burnt out, then take some time to detox before the real thing.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Vissi your plan sounds fine just beware of burning out! Don't feel like you can't take a day off now and then. I've been feeling very "MOAR PT'S" lately also so I think I'm going to do something similar (not one very day though)

Thsmthcrmnl (or anyone who has this PT and would like to help :) ) - can you help me out with #25 in LR1 in PT A? None of the answers looked correct to me but I'm still having a hard time understanding why E is right.

Also, last time I asked a question on here and only specified the PT and question # someone posted the full question. Keep in mind that we're not allowed to do that because of copyright rules... (don't want anyone to get banned for trying to help me out!)

spek

Postby spek » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Pleasye, E suggests that people might refrain from bidding on the item because they believe that since it is extremely desirable they would have to bid higher than they can afford in order to win it. Since these people people don't bid on the item there is an increased probability that the bidders left are those that bid extremely low hoping that there are no other bidders (ie that no one else is interested in the item)

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks spek <3

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Pleasye wrote:Thsmthcrmnl (or anyone who has this PT and would like to help :) ) - can you help me out with #25 in LR1 in PT A? None of the answers looked correct to me but I'm still having a hard time understanding why E is right.

I have 7-16 and 19-57 only. Sorry.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”