Are you ready for total DOMINATION?!! (Feb. 2011)

SKI

Re: The Slightly More Official February 2011 LSAT Thread

Postby SKI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Same exact problem with consistent RC accuracy under time constraints. I've ranged between -2 and -9. At this point, I've decided to make RC the first section as well as an experimental section for extra practice. Also, just using brute force and continuing to practice as much as possible, especially with RC sections from the early 90s that are relatively dry.

I'm wondering if the December 2010 questions & answers will be available before Feb. 12-- it would be great to have access to this before we take our test.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:37 pm

SKI wrote:Same exact problem with consistent RC accuracy under time constraints. I've ranged between -2 and -9. At this point, I've decided to make RC the first section as well as an experimental section for extra practice. Also, just using brute force and continuing to practice as much as possible, especially with RC sections from the early 90s that are relatively dry.

I'm wondering if the December 2010 questions & answers will be available before Feb. 12-- it would be great to have access to this before we take our test.

I believe that the December test is available on cambridgelsat.com

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Pleasye wrote:Spek, have you tried slowing down when reading the passage (maybe even making note of a couple of things)? That way you may be able to absorb more information and take less time on the questions?

I'm going to try this tomorrow -- I've taken some hits on RC lately and need a new strategy. Thanks, pleasy.

SKI

Postby SKI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Pleasye, many thanks for that info! Direct link for anyone interested in Dec. 2010: --LinkRemoved--

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Aw you're welcome guys. Vissi how is your situation? Have you been able to study?

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Pleasye wrote:Aw you're welcome guys. Vissi how is your situation? Have you been able to study?

We moved into a new apartment today, so things should improve. The baby will be able to nap in his own room while I study, and from here on in, my boss will only have night time rehearsals, so I'll be able to PT in the morning. My plan is to do a PT about an hour after I wake up and then to review it when the baby takes his afternoon nap or after he's gone to sleep for the day. I'm feeling much better and I think that, if I really crack down and stick to my plan, I will be okay.

I was able to do three sections of December 2010 yesterday and I got my butt kicked by RC (-8), but did okay on LR and LG (-4 and -1, respectively). It's better than the last couple of PTs I took, so I think I'm improving. Hopefully.

I can do this, situation be damned. *determined*

SKI

Postby SKI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Vissidarte27, you have a great attitude, keep it up and you'll reach your goals! Nice work on the Dec. LG section, a couple of my friends took the test and got butchered on that section.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:01 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:We moved into a new apartment today, so things should improve. The baby will be able to nap in his own room while I study, and from here on in, my boss will only have night time rehearsals, so I'll be able to PT in the morning. My plan is to do a PT about an hour after I wake up and then to review it when the baby takes his afternoon nap or after he's gone to sleep for the day. I'm feeling much better and I think that, if I really crack down and stick to my plan, I will be okay.

I was able to do three sections of December 2010 yesterday and I got my butt kicked by RC (-8), but did okay on LR and LG (-4 and -1, respectively). It's better than the last couple of PTs I took, so I think I'm improving. Hopefully.

I can do this, situation be damned. *determined*

RC is sooo annoying, ugh. I don't understand why I occasionally forget how to read! It's horrible. But that's great that you're in a new apartment now. It'll be much easier to concentrate on studying when you're not stressed (and in the bathroom doing PT's on the toilet seat) We still have three weeks, you can do it!

DarkPhantom

Postby DarkPhantom » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:56 pm

I did several games today, without time constraints, -2! lol, with the time constraints probably a -6....

LSATBuddha

Postby LSATBuddha » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 am

DarkPhantom wrote:I did several games today, without time constraints, -2! lol, with the time constraints probably a -6....

darkphantom i think its important you don't get down on yourself like that...it could be -6 or maybe it would be -2 again. you never will know, so need to worry. Its surprising what you can do based on different circumstances.

..i am in the june study group but occasionally pop in here and read all your guys posts...good luck to you all!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks Buddha :). Good luck to you too!

Darkphantom: When I do games untimed I set a timer to count UP and press stop whenever I finish. I always continue to work through the whole game no matter how long it takes but it's good to see how long it takes me. Some games were still taking me FOREVER, but when I started doing PT's I could still get through all 4 games and have been ranging from -3 to -0 on that section. If your accuracy is good when you start timing sections and taking PT's (which you should be doing already if you're taking February!) it shouldn't go down too much, so it looks like you're doing well :)

That came out sort of preachy but I meant to be encouraging/give unsolicited advice, haha. <3

LSATBuddha

Postby LSATBuddha » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:36 am

Pleasye wrote:Thanks Buddha :). Good luck to you too!

Darkphantom: When I do games untimed I set a timer to count UP and press stop whenever I finish. I always continue to work through the whole game no matter how long it takes but it's good to see how long it takes me. Some games were still taking me FOREVER, but when I started doing PT's I could still get through all 4 games and have been ranging from -3 to -0 on that section. If your accuracy is good when you start timing sections and taking PT's (which you should be doing already if you're taking February!) it shouldn't go down too much, so it looks like you're doing well :)

That came out sort of preachy but I meant to be encouraging/give unsolicited advice, haha. <3

Thanks Pleasye! Yea that is great advice that i can vouch for, at least in terms of helping me on my pts. The reasons are numerous for why some individual games took me longer than 8 min or 8 min 45 secs, but most were because they were some of the hardest if not the hardest games in some sections(of course that's subjective). However, when you do full length lg pt sections it completely changes. You get games that are easy that you can blast through in 7,6, or even 5 minutes. This affords you the extra time to spend on games like that. That's why I don't put an incredible amount of stock in how much time it takes me to finish random lg games I pick out. However, I am at the point where i have practiced lg enough to be at the point where i need to finish all games in 8 min. I am envious of my friend who literally finishes every game in 7 min. Its insane!

SKI

Postby SKI » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Isn't the lsat great? Yesterday, I completed 16 RC passages to improve my accuracy and went RC -2 on today's PT. Everything was wonderful until I scored my LG and found out I went -7 :?. I really need to pick it up if I'm going to have any hope of 170 in Feb...

Postby 8675309 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Quick question regarding the credential assembly service...

Do you have to pay right away, or can you have transcripts and LOR sent and then pay?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 pm

SKI wrote:Isn't the lsat great? Yesterday, I completed 16 RC passages to improve my accuracy and went RC -2 on today's PT. Everything was wonderful until I scored my LG and found out I went -7 :?. I really need to pick it up if I'm going to have any hope of 170 in Feb...

You completed 16 RC passages? In one day? How long did it take you? Did you take breaks in between?

SKI

Postby SKI » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Miracle: I took 8 followed by a 15 minute break, and then the remaining 8. I went for accuracy, so this was not under time constraints. I probably spent around 3 hours including the break.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 am

8675309 wrote:Quick question regarding the credential assembly service...

Do you have to pay right away, or can you have transcripts and LOR sent and then pay?

Pretty sure you have to pay first.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 am

I'm going to be slamming through logic games tomorrow. This should go well...

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Had a feeling PT A was kicking my ass and...I was right :(

LR: -7
RC: -3
LG: -6
LR:-6

79 Raw
161 Scaled

:| :evil: :x

I did this with 33 minutes sections because I've seen a lot of people recommend it. However...I didn't like it. Not one bit. I spent the whole time trying to calculate how many minutes had "actually" by adding 2 more minutes and thinking how on the real thing I would have 2 extra minutes, etc etc. The LG section kicked my ass but I could've used those extra 2 minutes and gone like -3 or something. I ran out of time on it and ended up really frustrated.

I have no excuses for my LR performance, I finished early on both. Grrr. I guess this score is closer to what I can expect on test day but that just makes me sad to think about.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 pm

\
Last edited by SrLaw on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Don't worry too much about it pleasye. Just review and see which types of questions you are missing in LR. I had a 161 PT last week and the next test, I got a 173. Even though I had seen the test that I got a 173 on before, I had not seen it in over 6 months, so I did not remember any of the questions. After getting the 161, I just tried to see if there were any types of questions I was missing a lot of. I noticed that strengthen and flaw questions were my weak areas so I drilled them from Kaplan's Big Orange Book and missed 0 and 1 respectively on the LR sections in the next PT I took. Just stay positive.

P.S. I will be taking a few new tests that I have not seen starting this thursday and hopefully, my LR performance will be just as good as the last PT.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks risktaker <3. I hate shitty PT scores because they make me so discouraged. I'm taking a break for a little while and then am going to review this PT and get ready to drill lots of LR and LG tomorrow.

Good luck with your next PT!

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 pm

risktaker wrote:Don't worry too much about it pleasye. Just review and see which types of questions you are missing in LR. I had a 161 PT last week and the next test, I got a 173. Even though I had seen the test that I got a 173 on before, I had not seen it in over 6 months, so I did not remember any of the questions. After getting the 161, I just tried to see if there were any types of questions I was missing a lot of. I noticed that strengthen and flaw questions were my weak areas so I drilled them from Kaplan's Big Orange Book and missed 0 and 1 respectively on the LR sections in the next PT I took. Just stay positive.

P.S. I will be taking a few new tests that I have not seen starting this thursday and hopefully, my LR performance will be just as good as the last PT.

I thought you took the LSAT 5 times before? is this #6?

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:24 pm

I don't know if its just me, so putting the question out there...
I noticed for incorrect answers, the correct choice was essentially my first choice (occurs in LR). I'm debating on just going with my first choice. Any thoughts?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:57 pm

Dotson525 wrote:I don't know if its just me, so putting the question out there...
I noticed for incorrect answers, the correct choice was essentially my first choice (occurs in LR). I'm debating on just going with my first choice. Any thoughts?

tried that, doesn't work because it's too simplistic of a strategy.

What you really need to do is thoroughly understand why on earth are you choosing smth OTHER than the right answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”