Are you ready for total DOMINATION?!! (Feb. 2011) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vissidarte27

Bronze

Re: The Slightly More Official February 2011 LSAT Thread

Post by vissidarte27 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:43 pm

99.9luft wrote:
i see. You must be planning to ED super early, then? This year the Oct test is on October 1st, which means you will get your score on Oct 26 (official) or before (24th is a monday). Did you want to apply by Oct 26? Most EDs are sent in November, which, from what you're saying is too late for you?
Yes, I plan on EDing super early. September 1st kind of early. I think it's the only way that I really have a chance at getting into the school (UVA) with my GPA (3.23). I've looked at the trends and the people who have GPAs similar to mine and an LSAT score near my 170 goal get in if they apply early and get rejected if they don't.

I really, really, really want to end up at UVA and I want to maximize my chances by EDing the moment that the application is available.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:46 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
i see. You must be planning to ED super early, then? This year the Oct test is on October 1st, which means you will get your score on Oct 26 (official) or before (24th is a monday). Did you want to apply by Oct 26? Most EDs are sent in November, which, from what you're saying is too late for you?
Yes, I plan on EDing super early. September 1st kind of early. I think it's the only way that I really have a chance at getting into the school (UVA) with my GPA (3.23). I've looked at the trends and the people who have GPAs similar to mine and an LSAT score near my 170 goal get in if they apply early and get rejected if they don't.

I really, really, really want to end up at UVA and I want to maximize my chances by EDing the moment that the application is available.
wow, that is super early. But makes complete sense if you're set on UVA. Try to wake up early to study for the lsat (not sure about you, but staying up for me personally is unproductive). Good luck this Feb!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:50 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I think I'm sticking with Feb and am just going to have to figure out a way to study, despite my craptastic circumstances. Maybe that means doing a PT until 3am and missing out on sleep when the baby wakes up at 8, I don't know. I'll figure it out. I have to.
This sounds horrible, but it's probably what I would have to do.

Thank for the advice 99.9, I probably should review the same day but sometimes I'm just too sick of the LSAT to look at the test the same day.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Pleasye wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:I think I'm sticking with Feb and am just going to have to figure out a way to study, despite my craptastic circumstances. Maybe that means doing a PT until 3am and missing out on sleep when the baby wakes up at 8, I don't know. I'll figure it out. I have to.

Thank for the advice 99.9, I probably should review the same day but sometimes I'm just too sick of the LSAT to look at the test the same day.
i know, i'm the same way. a long break (min 3+ hours) helps a lot.

Dotson525

New

Post by Dotson525 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:43 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

I've found that writing down in a log the following info for each PT
1. The amt. of correct in each section
2. For each section write down the types of questions that were incorrect (Inference, paradox, principle...) From these items refer back to your study aids (Powerscore...) Later you can make an additional outline for these items.
3.Notes as to "watch out" for each section is helpful. (Took a PT today noticed I needed to "watch out" for extreme language in certain cases)
4. Extra: I noticed I had a particular problem concerning Inference questions within logical reason. Reviews from study aids and repeated tests, did not seem to help much. Came up with an idea. Decided to make a video of explaining what is needed in an inference question, and what answer choices to avoid. Also read and explained a question for a PT. This was extremely helpful. PT I took today: all inference questions correct!

Noticed improvement from last PT log.

Hope this is helpful :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks Dotson!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Dotson525 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

I've found that writing down in a log the following info for each PT
1. The amt. of correct in each section
2. For each section write down the types of questions that were incorrect (Inference, paradox, principle...) From these items refer back to your study aids (Powerscore...) Later you can make an additional outline for these items.
3.Notes as to "watch out" for each section is helpful. (Took a PT today noticed I needed to "watch out" for extreme language in certain cases)
4. Extra: I noticed I had a particular problem concerning Inference questions within logical reason. Reviews from study aids and repeated tests, did not seem to help much. Came up with an idea. Decided to make a video of explaining what is needed in an inference question, and what answer choices to avoid. Also read and explained a question for a PT. This was extremely helpful. PT I took today: all inference questions correct!

Noticed improvement from last PT log.

Hope this is helpful :)
Thank you, Brosef :)

Dotson525

New

Post by Dotson525 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Now I have to get a stronger grip upon the RC section. Took PT 53, the passage about British law kicked my butt. lol

My plan is practice RC section in 10 Actual PTs. I found the RC in earlier PTs are longer and more "dry" than the recent ones. I figure this will build stamina and practice.

Does anyone have ideas/suggestions concerning RC? Looking and willing to try all!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:47 pm

PT 53:

LR: -6 :?
LG: -0 :mrgreen:
LR: -1 :mrgreen:
RC: -8 :|

85 Raw
166 Scaled

So so proud of the LG even though I've seen it before (taking it with a grain of salt of course!). My RC got fuuucked up because my sister decided to come home yelling and then bring her friends in which made my dogs bark and everybody was loud and UGH. I gave myself 2 extra minutes to finish so I kinda cheated but I could NOT concentrate when that was happening. I doubt it'll happen at the test center so I'm taking some comfort in that, lol :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Got my best PT score today! Scored a 173 on Dec 09 LSAT.

LG: -5
LR1: -0
LR exp: -0
RC -4
LR2: -1
Even though I had seen this test in March when I was studying for the June 10 LSAT, I am very pleased with this score. Going to do two more PT's over the next couple weeks and hopefully I can score over 170 on both of them.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Pleasye wrote:PT 53:

85 Raw
166 Scaled

So so proud of the LG even though I've seen it before (taking it with a grain of salt of course!). My RC got fuuucked up because my sister decided to come home yelling and then bring her friends in which made my dogs bark and everybody was loud and UGH. I gave myself 2 extra minutes to finish so I kinda cheated but I could NOT concentrate when that was happening. I doubt it'll happen at the test center so I'm taking some comfort in that, lol :D
wow, great job on that LG! LR - pretty sick, i have to say. Next time, if you have no distractions while keeping up this focus, you'll just have to get 3 or 4 wrong on RC and you're in the 170s!

risktaker wrote:Got my best PT score today! Scored a 173 on Dec 09 LSAT.

LG: -5
LR1: -0
LR exp: -0
RC -4
LR2: -1
Even though I had seen this test in March when I was studying for the June 10 LSAT, I am very pleased with this score. Going to do two more PT's over the next couple weeks and hopefully I can score over 170 on both of them.
That's a great score. Stellar LR, i have to say! just fix the LG (easiest to fix for most ppl) and you'll be in the 175+ realm.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks 99.9. I forgot that I have 5 Pt's left in pt 20-30 range. I will have to do these in the next couple weeks and I will do one recent test the wednesday before game day to cap off my studies. Hoping to score high on this new material. Have u decided to take the Feb test 99.9?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 pm

99.9luft wrote:wow, great job on that LG! LR - pretty sick, i have to say. Next time, if you have no distractions while keeping up this focus, you'll just have to get 3 or 4 wrong on RC and you're in the 170s!
Thank you! So glad you're still here to encourage me :D. I'm sooo happy about my LG and that LR (even though the other one was disastrous in comparison, lol). I'm about to take your advice and review my PT today!

How's your studying going?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lasker

New

Post by Lasker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 am

I've realized that I'm probably not going to be able to do every PT from 44 on as a four or five section test before the test day; I have about eight left for these last three weeks and I haven't managed to do more than two in any week so far. My new plan is to make sure that I take 57, 60, 61 and 62 as full tests and just break the rest up, doing at least one section a day with preference for RC and LG, my weaker sections. I'll probably do 61 last, since people seem to feel that Oct. was more "normal" than December - I don't want my confidence to be ruined by bombing the last LG I do before test day!

Did PT 57 tonight. Got a good score but it felt lucky, like I could have missed 2-4 more questions if things didn't go my way. The Dinos were every bit as bad as people claim. I managed to get through them without missing any questions, but it took 14 minutes and my approach was really scattershot. I'm definitely going to return to that one. I'm feeling kind of insecure about games right now - the last question on PT 55 about bus stops took me 14 minutes as well.

Now, off to look up the questions I missed on the Manhattan LSAT page . . . .

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:01 am

Pleasye wrote:
99.9luft wrote:wow, great job on that LG! LR - pretty sick, i have to say. Next time, if you have no distractions while keeping up this focus, you'll just have to get 3 or 4 wrong on RC and you're in the 170s!
Thank you! So glad you're still here to encourage me :D. I'm sooo happy about my LG and that LR (even though the other one was disastrous in comparison, lol). I'm about to take your advice and review my PT today!

How's your studying going?
Glad TLS isn't a total distraction, then. I miss you in the June thread :( -- i'm all alone there with the noobs. Haven't PTed in 2 days. Went paintballing today - so dead right now.

SKI

New

Post by SKI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:09 am

Hi all, frequent lurker and first time poster here. Like many others ITT, I'm scheduled to take the Feb LSAT, and have a target score of 170. I've been able to come within a couple of points of that score on several PTs, but what I've found frustrating is that, while my LG and LR scores have steadily improved (currently around -3 and -4, respectively), my reading comp. has not shown steady improvement! I started at -9 on RC six weeks ago, was hitting -4 with regularity 3 weeks ago, yet got either -8 or -9 on my most recent three prep tests in the last couple of weeks. I've been taking the PTs in chronological order, starting from the 40s, and have completed about 10 PTs.

After going RC -9 on my last test, I was fed the F*$% up, and took a couple of days off. I want to say it's burn-out, but my performance in LG and LR has either remained the same or improved, so I'm a bit confused.

Anyone have thoughts on the situation I've described?

Thanks in advance!

Dotson525

New

Post by Dotson525 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:07 am

Pleasye wrote:PT 53:

85 Raw
166 Scaled

RC got me too. My downfall was the British law passage. lol Good luck with the next PT!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dotson525

New

Post by Dotson525 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:16 am

Thought I put a question out here, because of previous good advice/tips from here.

I'm planning my study schedule, and thought about taking a PT a day a week before the test. I'm hoping it will build stamina. I'm retaking in Feb. because of a disappointing Dec. lsat.

Would this cause burnout?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:20 am

Dotson525 wrote:RC got me too. My downfall was the British law passage. lol Good luck with the next PT!
The stupid mite passage got me, the end of this passage and beginning of British Law (I don't do them in order) was when all the commotion started, ugh. I did surprisingly well on British law considering I did not remember one thing I had read.

SKI: For most people RC is the hardest thing to improve on, there is no clear cut strategy on how to attack this section. I'm usually pretty good at this section but then I'll just go -5 or -6 all of a sudden, it's frustrating but it happens. Thankfully, I've been getting much better at LG and even LR so I am improving regardless. I think with RC, just as with everything LSAT, consistency is key.

Also, keep working on that LG, get it down as much as possible! If you're at like -3 or -4 then you can get lower. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:22 am

Dotson525 wrote:Thought I put a question out here, because of previous good advice/tips from here.

I'm planning my study schedule, and thought about taking a PT a day a week before the test. I'm hoping it will build stamina. I'm retaking in Feb. because of a disappointing Dec. lsat.

Would this cause burnout?
I think this is something that depends on YOU and only you. For some people too many tests in a row causes burnout and lowers their scores, for others PTs in a row help them a lot.

If anything, do more PTs now, not just the week before the test. You aren't going to build stamina in one week, start building it now (then maybe lay off a bit in the week before the test depending on how you see it affecting you).

stilles

New

Post by stilles » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:57 pm

3 weeks left! What does you study schedule look like?

This Week: 2/3 pts, RC Drills, Light LG

Week 2: 2/3 pts, LG Drills, LG

LSAT Week: 2/3 pts, Brief review of all three sections....RELAX.

GLuck to everyone ITT;!!

***Also, any tips on how to move fast with RC/LR?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi! I've been lurking on this thread for a while. Signed up for the Feb LSAT and I've been studying informally since the summer. I'm really hoping for 172+ but I'm starting to get really frustrated with RC. My LG (on the post-50 PTs) is consistently between -0 and -2. My LR is usually -2 per section but my RC ranges anywhere from -1 to -8. I've heard you need to be PTing 5 points above your target and it seems like RC is preventing me from consistently hitting that range. Is anyone having success with RC that might be able to give some pointers? My issue is definitely time on the questions--I can read the passage pretty quickly and I take notes on it but its taking me too long to answer the questions accurately.

I can't believe we only have 3 weeks left!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Spek, have you tried slowing down when reading the passage (maybe even making note of a couple of things)? That way you may be able to absorb more information and take less time on the questions?

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:19 pm

I've started to take notes while reading (I read Voyager's post on RC) but I guess I've been trying to read at my same fast pace while also taking notes. I was trying the "skim the passage and refer to it multiple times for the questions" technique that I've read helps with accuracy. But I think next PT I'll try to slow down and take better notes, that might help with going through the questions more quickly. Thanks Pleasye!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:22 pm

No problem :). My RC is kind of inconsistent but referring back to the passage after skimming it ends up taking me way longer. I read it through quickly but I definitely don't skim and I usually have time to go back to the passage for 1 or 2 questions if I really need to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”