Are you ready for total DOMINATION?!! (Feb. 2011)

Miracle

Re: The Slightly More Official February 2011 LSAT Thread

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Miracle wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
Miracle wrote:how do you guys handle when you do poorly (-10+) on one section, and makes you go from 170 to 160. That's what happened to me tonight, and I'm so depressed.

leave the house. i went -8 today on RC, so going to the gym. then will come back and review.

I did -12 on LG! What's worse is that I though i did well!

Are you taking yours if you continue doing poorly?

That sucks, man. Yeah it IS worse when you think you did better. No, i am not sitting in for a given test administration unless i am scoring in the 170s consistently. As of today it ain't happening but i will decide by Fri if i'm doing Feb or abandoning you all for the June thread

there goes $180+

I know how it feels...I was so disappointed.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 pm

It's ok, we can do it. Practice + Focus = Success. I've been lacking the two ingredients lately, so have no right to complain.

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Decided to take a Princeton Review LSAT exam (for entailed diagnostic purposes). Scored horribly, lowest ever. :x Major blow. My scores on official PTs are much higher though. Hoping that this occurance is due to the particular exam.

Has anyone experienced this with the Princeton exam?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Dotson525 wrote:Decided to take a Princeton Review LSAT exam (for entailed diagnostic purposes). Scored horribly, lowest ever. :x Major blow. My scores on official PTs are much higher though. Hoping that this occurance is due to the particular exam.

Has anyone experienced this with the Princeton exam?

The word out there is that they are harder.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm

best score on lg to date. I'm happy but the section was from a pt in the 90s.btw, those games are so odd. Practice really does lead to improvement.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 pm

Do not take Princeton Review tests. They are not worth the time. They are significantly "harder" than the real LSAT. Some of their questions flat out make no sense. If I were you, I would stick to the real LSATs. I did PR Workout book and did an LR and RC section and got above -12 on both. However, I have been scoring -3 to -5 on RC and -1 to -3 on LR recently on the real LSATs. My two cents on PR tests.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 pm

risktaker wrote:Do not take Princeton Review tests. They are not worth the time. They are significantly "harder" than the real LSAT. Some of their questions flat out make no sense. If I were you, I would stick to the real LSATs. I did PR Workout book and did an LR and RC section and got above -12 on both. However, I have been scoring -3 to -5 on RC and -1 to -3 on LR recently on the real LSATs. My two cents on PR tests.

+1

EDIT: and while you're at it, avoid anything PR.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Taking the plunge. Wasn't going to take the LSAT a third time, but cold scored a 172 after three months without study, figured even a one point gain (170->171) would be worth it. So I signed up and paid the late fee two days ago. As have done all the PTs (took in October), was thinking about just re-doing the last 4 and really focusing on games. Has anyone used the Atlas Game book? Powerscore worked well for me, but the new game sections (i.e., those from the last year or so) seem less persuaded by Powerscore methods, with which I'd been consistently -0/-1 from PT 45-56 or so. Missed 4 on the October one (PT 61). Figure this is the area I can still improve, maybe. Any suggestions?

Sorry, jumpy post, but tired. Anyone else doing this? Motivation is possibly more money at schools I'm accepted at (Duke, Cornell, Gtown, Vandy, Texas) or getting off waitlists (Chicago, probably others to come).

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:07 pm

PT 50

RC -3
LR -5
LG -2
LR -3

167 (13 wrong). Ticking away the moments that make up the decision day (this Fri) -- to take or not to take...

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:17 pm

We're matchies 99.9! That's what I got on PT 50 also.

PT 52 today. Didn't go as well as my other tests but still in the 160's so I'm okay with it...

LR: -4
LG: -3
LR: -5
RC: -6

Raw 81
Scaled 163

I'm very very happy that my LG is still going well (especially this time because I almost ran out of time). RC could have been better, started running out of time on that one too blah.

LR is the hardest for me to drill (I just don't like sitting there and doing question after question, I guess), but I really need to. 3 more weeeks ahhh. I'm starting to get scared.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:27 pm

99.9 and Pleasye, are you guys seeing any of the PT's that you are taking for the second time or is this your first look at them?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 pm

risktaker wrote:99.9 and Pleasye, are you guys seeing any of the PT's that you are taking for the second time or is this your first look at them?

both. But at this point i've taken all of the early 2000s-present (except PT 62). Be mindful, though, that one tends to forget a PT after a couple of months.

The PT 50 i posted earlier, i took in september. The ones that remain as of today - i've either taken them in May or in Sep. Either way, feels new. I do, however, throw in experimental sections from the 90s (and i'd say i still haven't taken a couple of PTs from that era).

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Pleasye wrote:We're matchies 99.9! That's what I got on PT 50 also.

PT 52 today. Didn't go as well as my other tests but still in the 160's so I'm okay with it...

LR: -4
LG: -3
LR: -5
RC: -6

Raw 81
Scaled 163

I'm very very happy that my LG is still going well (especially this time because I almost ran out of time). RC could have been better, started running out of time on that one too blah.

LR is the hardest for me to drill (I just don't like sitting there and doing question after question, I guess), but I really need to. 3 more weeeks ahhh. I'm starting to get scared.

Sweet. btw, good job on LG, pleasye. Which PT are you taking tomorrow?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:51 pm

risktaker wrote:99.9 and Pleasye, are you guys seeing any of the PT's that you are taking for the second time or is this your first look at them?

I had seen all the PT's in the 50's besides 50 and 51 so from now on all the PT's I do will be ones that I've seen before.

It's funny because I did much better on 50 and 51 than on 52, which I've seen before. Weird.

99.9luft wrote:Sweet. btw, good job on LG, pleasye. Which PT are you taking tomorrow?

Thank you! I'm sooo excited that I'm finally getting it. I just hope it keeps up :)

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Pleasye, why aren't you using the Schopen'tar? BTW, i rescheduled my test to June. I just wasn't hitting 170s consistently. I need 172+ for next application cycle, so buckling down until June.

I'll still post ITT to check up on you and a couple of others :)

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm temporarily stalled on the studying front -- we had to relocate to a hotel because the apartment that we sublet gave us scabies. So I'm sharing a hotel room with my boss and her son (I'm his nanny) and there is zero private time/space and it blows. I used to study while the baby napped, but now that we're in one room, that's not possible since it needs to be dark for him to sleep.

I did half of an RC section in the bathroom today, sitting on the toilet seat lid and writing on the counter next to the sink.

Sigh.

I don't know how I'm going to pull this off.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:10 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:
Sigh.

:(

I'm sorry! That's not a fun situation to be in. Is there any way that you can go somewhere at some point during the day? Or at night even?

99.9luft wrote:Pleasye, why aren't you using the Schopen'tar? BTW, i rescheduled my test to June. I just wasn't hitting 170s consistently. I need 172+ for next application cycle, so buckling down until June.

I think people weren't recognizing me because of my name change + 'tar so I changed it back to this one so people wouldn't think I was some random..

I've been having the postpone itch lately but I think I'm just getting nervous/got a little freaked out by my last test score so I'm staying signed up for February. I'm sad you aren't taking with us though! I feel like me and you were the ones holding down the thread.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Pleasye wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:
Sigh.

I'm sorry! That's not a fun situation to be in. Is there any way that you can go somewhere at some point during the day? Or at night even?

The baby's mom (and, consequently, me) works till 11pm, so going to the lobby or something at night is out of the question. Mornings have been spent doing laundry from the day before (taking preventative measures to keep ourselves scabie-free). My next day off won't be for another week.

I can probably finish the PT I started this morning in the bathroom after the baby goes to sleep tonight, and I'm hoping that my boss won't have to work until tomorrow evening so that I can get some work done in the morning/afternoon (she doesn't know her schedule until the day before), but who knows.

I'm trying really hard not to freak out. I'm not sure if it's working or not.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Pleasye wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:
Sigh.

99.9luft wrote:Pleasye, why aren't you using the Schopen'tar? BTW, i rescheduled my test to June. I just wasn't hitting 170s consistently. I need 172+ for next application cycle, so buckling down until June.

I think people weren't recognizing me because of my name change + 'tar so I changed it back to this one so people wouldn't think I was some random..

I've been having the postpone itch lately but I think I'm just getting nervous/got a little freaked out by my last test score so I'm staying signed up for February. I'm sad you aren't taking with us though! I feel like me and you were the ones holding down the thread.

Ok, just be consistent in your studies. How many hours per day are you spending on the LSAT?
It's ok, i'll be with you in spirit. I'll take PT 62 on the day you guys take the February test.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:24 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:
Sigh.

The baby's mom (and, consequently, me) works till 11pm, so going to the lobby or something at night is out of the question. Mornings have been spent doing laundry from the day before (taking preventative measures to keep ourselves scabie-free). My next day off won't be for another week.

I can probably finish the PT I started this morning in the bathroom after the baby goes to sleep tonight, and I'm hoping that my boss won't have to work until tomorrow evening so that I can get some work done in the morning/afternoon (she doesn't know her schedule until the day before), but who knows.

sounds like a nightmare. Why can't you postpone until June? today is the phone deadline and Sunday (i think) is the online deadline to do so.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:24 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:The baby's mom (and, consequently, me) works till 11pm, so going to the lobby or something at night is out of the question. Mornings have been spent doing laundry from the day before (taking preventative measures to keep ourselves scabie-free). My next day off won't be for another week.

Honestly I'd go down to the lobby whenever she gets back. I'm so sorry though, that does not sound like a good position to be in. Try not to freak out, just try to look for solutions and do a question or section or passage during any free time you have. I'll send some positive thoughts your way <3

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 pm

99.9luft wrote:Ok, just be consistent in your studies. How many hours per day are you spending on the LSAT?
It's ok, i'll be with you in spirit. I'll take PT 62 on the day you guys take the February test.

Umm..I spend at least a couple of hours on it every day. Right now I've been doing PT's and then reviewing the next day. On the days that I review I also do some games/a section of RC or drill some LR q's.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Pleasye wrote:
99.9luft wrote:Ok, just be consistent in your studies. How many hours per day are you spending on the LSAT?

Umm..I spend at least a couple of hours on it every day. Right now I've been doing PT's and then reviewing the next day. On the days that I review I also do some games/a section of RC or drill some LR q's.

i love how we're talking in two threads, hehe.

I recommend you review the test the same day you take it. Then, allow several hours to eat, leave the house, run errands, etc. Come back and take 2 sections of whatever you did the worst on earlier that day. This way, you'll keep the lsat in your mind at all times. The next day you can continue to drill.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:32 pm

99.9luft wrote:
sounds like a nightmare. Why can't you postpone until June? today is the phone deadline and Sunday (i think) is the online deadline to do so.

I'll be in Paris for work and I want to apply September 1st ED to give myself the best shot possible at getting into my dream school.

I can skip Paris if I have to (ie if I bomb in Feb), but I'm hoping that won't be necessary. And I don't want June to be the first time I'm taking the test -- then if I don't do well, I'll have to retake in October and that'll kill my ED chances and, thus, my chances at the school in general (because my GPA will keep me from getting in RD).

I think I'm sticking with Feb and am just going to have to figure out a way to study, despite my craptastic circumstances. Maybe that means doing a PT until 3am and missing out on sleep when the baby wakes up at 8, I don't know. I'll figure it out. I have to.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:39 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

I'll be in Paris for work and I want to apply September 1st ED to give myself the best shot possible at getting into my dream school.

I can skip Paris if I have to (ie if I bomb in Feb), but I'm hoping that won't be necessary. And I don't want June to be the first time I'm taking the test -- then if I don't do well, I'll have to retake in October and that'll kill my ED chances and, thus, my chances at the school in general (because my GPA will keep me from getting in RD).

I think I'm sticking with Feb and am just going to have to figure out a way to study, despite my craptastic circumstances. Maybe that means doing a PT until 3am and missing out on sleep when the baby wakes up at 8, I don't know. I'll figure it out. I have to.

i see. You must be planning to ED super early, then? This year the Oct test is on October 1st, which means you will get your score on Oct 26 (official) or before (24th is a monday). Did you want to apply by Oct 26? Most EDs are sent in November, which, from what you're saying is too late for you?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”