Advice with an extra 3 1/2 weeks to study?

saintpaulJ

Advice with an extra 3 1/2 weeks to study?

Postby saintpaulJ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 pm

As I posted in another thread, my Dec 11 test was cancelled due to a blizzard and has been rescheduled for January 8th. So for better or worse, I have 3 1/2 weeks until I take the test.

This is my situation. I've always done well on standardized tests, from the PSAT through the GRE, 99th percentile. I've been self-studying for the last three months using LSAC materials and the Princeton Review. All timed practices tests (20 or so) have been between a 167 and a 178. LG has been my least reliable sub-score though. I got 9 wrong on one of my practice tests and always get at least one wrong on that section.

So do you think 3 1/2 weeks is enough time to study and implement the Atlas Logic Games or the Logic Games Bible?

If so, which one would you recommend?

Any other tips? I've basically been through the 5 stages of grief over not being able to take the Dec. 11 LSAT, and am ready to make some use of my time.

spets

Re: Advice with an extra 3 1/2 weeks to study?

Postby spets » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 pm

LGB hands down. It did wonders in improving my LG scores, and you have more than enough time to go through it and practice its strategies.
Last edited by spets on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:28 pm

PS is pretty good. lg used to cripple me with around a -10 but i am -4 to -1 now. some say that atlas is better for achieving a score in the higher percentile...idk if thats true, PS seems fine. i do think thats enough time as well. just dont let the other sections go to the wayside while youre prepping in LG.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:18 pm

My advice (which is worth what you paid for it) is two fold:

1) Logic Games Bible and download the "difficult games" from Cambridge LSAT. If there is a genre you have trouble with download those as well. For some reason simple ordering threw me. It just took me much longer than it should. This hurt me on the June LSAT which had two ordering games and they sucked up too much of my time. So I downloaded the packs and spent two days doing nothing but simple ordering (and complex and some other type). It brought my times down and time saved in one section is pure gold. So for logic games, I read here that one should aim for 5-6 minutes in the simple games, as opposed to 7 min 45 sec per section.

2) Sleep. I have a young child and she started sleeping much better in the time between June and Dec so I started sleeping better. When I started studying for Dec, my PT scores were all higher and my times were much faster. I just wasn't as sleep deprived. It took me less time to think through things.

I haven't got my Dec scores (obviously) so I don't know if it worked on the real thing, but I am hoping to beat my June 166. The test did feel better this time (but I have bombed sections in practise that I thought I nailed)

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Do every logic game known to man.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 pm

kkklick wrote:Do every logic game known to man.

5 times

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Chimica wrote:
kkklick wrote:Do every logic game known to man.

5 times

Haha. Thanks. With a full-time job and a kid, that might be tough. But I'll make it a goal.

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm in the same situation... I just hope the scores come quickly. I actually drove to WM on Saturday and nearly got in several accidents on 94.

Last test (October) I botched logic games pretty badly (-8?). It's my strongest section now and rarely miss more than 1 (and on two tests in the 60's finished in ~27 minutes).

Basically what I did was make a copy of every logic game from PT 1-40 and sort them using powerscore's classification system. Next, I went through and did literally every game at least once (timed). After each I went through and looked at the Powerscore Setup guide and wrote short notes I kept in a notebook reflecting back on good habis/things that didn't go well. They basically said things like "With blocks + restrictions, always try templates quick."

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Unshake wrote:I'm in the same situation... I just hope the scores come quickly. I actually drove to WM on Saturday and nearly got in several accidents on 94.

Last test (October) I botched logic games pretty badly (-8?). It's my strongest section now and rarely miss more than 1 (and on two tests in the 60's finished in ~27 minutes).

Basically what I did was make a copy of every logic game from PT 1-40 and sort them using powerscore's classification system. Next, I went through and did literally every game at least once (timed). After each I went through and looked at the Powerscore Setup guide and wrote short notes I kept in a notebook reflecting back on good habis/things that didn't go well. They basically said things like "With blocks + restrictions, always try templates quick."

Yep, I drove to WM too. My rant about that situation is in another thread.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”