before / after testmasters Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cbq

New

before / after testmasters

Post by cbq » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:34 pm

i am taking the jan class for the feb exam. i'm specifically interested in anyone who drastically improved their score. as i will probably need to as well.. more importantly, why did you improve.. also, do i need to get the materials early?

cardinals03

New

Re: before / after testmasters

Post by cardinals03 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:40 pm

You may not want to hear this, but self study with timed PT's is the way to go. I took a class (name withheld) and bombed Oct. I re-focused on timing and mapping my own strategy and feel a lot better about Dec. I recommend buying at least 30 PT's, making a schedule and keeping to it. However, Testmasters may work for you, but I would still make time for alot of timed PT's thrown in also. Good luck in Feb.

cbq

New

Post by cbq » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:14 pm

thanks. i have a hard time getting through all of the LR. which tells me there is something i may not understand about the question and / or the strategy...

doing_it_in_a_car

Bronze

Post by doing_it_in_a_car » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:31 pm

You'll find a lot of advice from people who took or didn't take TM in this thread.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396

I took TM and improved 21 points (from cold diag to best real test) - but only by pushing myself to do all of the homework as well as many extra PTs. TM is a good idea if you're the kind of person who needs to be repeatedly kicked in the ass to get stuff done.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:32 pm

cardinals03 wrote:You may not want to hear this, but self study with timed PT's is the way to go. I took a class (name withheld) and bombed Oct. I re-focused on timing and mapping my own strategy and feel a lot better about Dec. I recommend buying at least 30 PT's, making a schedule and keeping to it. However, Testmasters may work for you, but I would still make time for alot of timed PT's thrown in also. Good luck in Feb.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:35 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:You'll find a lot of advice from people who took or didn't take TM in this thread.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396

I took TM and improved 21 points (from cold diag to best real test) - but only by pushing myself to do all of the homework as well as many extra PTs. TM is a good idea if you're the kind of person who needs to be repeatedly kicked in the ass to get stuff done.
+1. You won't magically get better without doing the HWs, with any class. Taking a class is not a substitute for putting in the effort.

FWIW, I took TM and improved 14 pts over my low diag.

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:13 pm

took testmasters and improved 10 points off my low diagnostic on the oct test, but even that real score was lower than where i'd been PT'ing. i really liked it--i tried studying on my own, and never did it, and the help line was (surprisingly enough) helpful in getting through the homework and going over tests, especially in the beginning before i'd gotten at all comfortable with the questions.

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:25 pm

150 average before TM, 162 PT average afterward, 158 on the real test.

I got a scholarship covering my TM expenses so I think maybe that's why I did bad. If I had actually paid the $1200 or so, I probably would take it more seriously.

But really, self practice tests that are timed is the best method. I'd say if you had to take the course, take the course first then have at least 3-4 months afterward of self studying.

Edit: I retook after spending about 3 months of hardcore 10 hour a day studying. Averaged 168 PT, 165 on the real thing.

cbq

New

Post by cbq » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 am

very helpful.. thanks for the comments.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WayBryson

Bronze

Post by WayBryson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:30 am

I don't think the classes offer anything more than a rigid study schedule, and one that isn't tailored to your individual style at that. If that is worth the money for you, then go for it. Otherwise, just rock the practice tests. I did use the Atlas Logic Games book, and I like it. It takes a procedural approach to the games that worked well for me. Also, try to always practice with the clock running.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:58 am

I'm going to add my two cents here, I wish someone had told me this before I took TM. I did some studying on my own before I took a TM course, so my first diag was in the high 160s, almost 170. I took the Dec LSAT, not sure if I scored much higher to be honest with you.

TM is good for if you haven't done much with the LSAT before. However, for MOST people, TM will not help you get into the high 170s range. The class WILL help you understand the test better, if just from the sheer repetition of certain concepts in the homework. It also presents LSAT material in a way that, I think, might help you get into the 170s if you do self study after the course. I do think that's worth some money.

Also - I would take the LSAT a couple months after the end of the course - so the June administration. There's simply not enough time to solidify and digest all the concepts within the span of the course IF you want to score in the 170s.

Ludacrispat26

Bronze

Post by Ludacrispat26 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:32 pm

I took the TM course and scored a 159 on my diag. On my only real thing I scored a 170 (Oct '10). Did the course help? Yes. Was it necessary to scoring a 170? No. However, if it made a 1 or 2 point difference, which it most likely did, then it was absolutely worth it IMO (assuming it didn't actually hurt, which I am very confident it didn't).

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:43 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Also - I would take the LSAT a couple months after the end of the course - so the June administration. There's simply not enough time to solidify and digest all the concepts within the span of the course IF you want to score in the 170s if you want to improve significantly.
FTFY.

OP, you shouldn't take a course that starts in January for the February test. Take one that ends a month or two before the June test so you can have time to review and take a lot of PTs in order to really improve your score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

weismanc

New

Post by weismanc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 am

I took TM and improved 22 points, but I agree with everyone that you have to put in the work. If you have the time to devote to the class I think it is worth it.

I also took every practice test in timed conditions, so I don't think it was only TM that improved my score, but I do think the material prepares you well for anything you could see on test day.

mchuynh

New

Post by mchuynh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:05 pm

If you go to all the classes and do the homework, you will improve. I took the class October...although I DID improve a lot... i didn't have time to go over my mistakes etc...

I suggest you take the class and prepare for the June LSAT.

One thing i didn't do was time myself... because they told me not to.. ANYWAY, for the homework, do HALF of it untime and the other half timed! Being able to work under pressure is really important

Even if you get the answer right, look at the explanations on their website... especially the videos! Hope this helps :)

doing_it_in_a_car

Bronze

Post by doing_it_in_a_car » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:52 am

mchuynh wrote:...Even if you get the answer right, look at the explanations on their website... especially the videos! Hope this helps :)
Robin Singh is the creepiest LSAT guru ever. He looks like he possesses actual mystical powers.

Anyway, +1 to this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”