Why you should take the Feb. LSAT even if you did well...

180orbust

Why you should take the Feb. LSAT even if you did well...

Postby 180orbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:44 pm

1) If you think you did worse, you can always cancel it.
2) It's only ~$130
3) If you do better on it, then you can use your higher score to help you get in off a waitlist, or you can use it to ask for more scholarship $$.
4) Since you already have a good enough score that you sent in your application and you've gotten your first-time jitters under control, there's less pressure, so you're more likely to do well.

I did this, and increased my score from 167 to 170. This got me off the WL at Vandy with a $45k scholarship, and it increased my scholarship at my other school from $66k to $96k.

What do you have to lose?

Nonok

Re: Why you should take the Feb. LSAT even if you did well...

Postby Nonok » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Why you shouldn't take Feb:

1) It's undisclosed... not knowing what I missed would drive me crazy
2) $130 is a lot of money
3) Retaking is bad for people wanting to go to HYSCCN
4) June is an afternoon test, which is an advantage for some test takers
5) Taking in Feb doesn't give you as much time to study as June or Oct

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:24 pm

Undisc. is a major minus for me too. And regardless, if I bombed Dec., it was because I screwed up my prep, and it's not something I'm going to fix by Feb. While if your prep was solid, and you can maintain that state of readiness, it might be better to go into the Feb. test with everything fresh in your mind, that's not me.

BTW, if you can't afford to sit for the test, consider selling plasma or pawning something. And if you're really so destitute that you've already done these, you should probably qualify for a need-based fee waiver.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:44 pm

has anyone taken Feb as their 4th LSAT after applying to all their schools/getting in places?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm

This may be obvious... which is why I ask:
If you want more $$, is retaking bad for people wanting to go to HYSCCN and have already gotten in?

180orbust

Postby 180orbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:51 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:This may be obvious... which is why I ask:
If you want more $$, is retaking bad for people wanting to go to HYSCCN and have already gotten in?

They wont rescind your acceptance just because you retake the LSAT. And it may help your application for one of their named scholarships (I'm not sure if LSAT is a factor), or get you big money at MVPB (which I'd take over CCN, unless you HAVE to be in NY or Chi).

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:08 pm

joebloe wrote:Undisc. is a major minus for me too. And regardless, if I bombed Dec., it was because I screwed up my prep, and it's not something I'm going to fix by Feb. While if your prep was solid, and you can maintain that state of readiness, it might be better to go into the Feb. test with everything fresh in your mind, that's not me.

BTW, if you can't afford to sit for the test, consider selling plasma or pawning something. And if you're really so destitute that you've already done these, you should probably qualify for a need-based fee waiver.

What the hell is that? A guy who did well should burn $130 because he doesn't have to sell plasma to get it? He did well already. Save your money for reach apps.

dchangd

Postby dchangd » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16 pm

is taking the Feb LSAT an option if you still want to apply for this cycle. I know nobody "recommends" it, but it's still a viable option, right? Say I cancel my Dec score, absolutely kill the Feb LSAT and still make application deadlines by March 15. Am i hurting myself by waiting until the last minute?

Does a person with a 3.40/170 who applies March 1 have a worse shot at admittance/scholarships than a 3.30/162 who applies in December?

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 pm

dchangd wrote:is taking the Feb LSAT an option if you still want to apply for this cycle. I know nobody "recommends" it, but it's still a viable option, right? Say I cancel my Dec score, absolutely kill the Feb LSAT and still make application deadlines by March 15. Am i hurting myself by waiting until the last minute?

Does a person with a 3.40/170 who applies March 1 have a worse shot at admittance/scholarships than a 3.30/162 who applies in December?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

You decide.

epark84

Postby epark84 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm considering taking the advice mentioned of OP. I took the Dec LSAT and think I scored near my PT average, but not my best. I may sign up for the Feb LSAT hoping to get pulled off certain waitlists or obtain additional scholarship $$. I'm submitting my apps this week, but I heard that schools will hold off on reviewing your app if they see that you registered for a future test date.

Will the adcoms review my apps w/ my Dec score, and give me additional consideration if my score improves in Feb? Or just hold onto my app until I complete Feb? It's already late in the cycle, so I wouldn't want them to wait any longer

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:06 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:This may be obvious... which is why I ask:

No, not at all.

Schools are, first and foremost, LSAT whores. Always keep that in mind.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm leaning toward retaking in Feb.. for potential waitlisting/scholarship purposes..

but mostly to beat my ex.

iceland

Postby iceland » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:24 pm

:?:
Last edited by iceland on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:50 pm

The LSAT isn't fun, I had stress-induced nausea before the October and December tests, and waiting for scores is painful. The only fun part is speculating scores.

iceland

Postby iceland » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Last edited by iceland on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:03 pm

iceland wrote:
kkklick wrote:The LSAT isn't fun, I had stress-induced nausea before the October and December tests, and waiting for scores is painful. The only fun part is speculating scores.

Sorry to hear that, but just because the LSAT wasn't fun for you doesn't mean that it absolutely isn't fun. I, for one, had enjoyed it.

This waiting for my score, on the other hand...!

I hate you. lol no you're right the studying part wasn't bad at all, test day was a little stressful but waiting for scores is probably the worst thing especially if you have no idea how you did.

iceland

Postby iceland » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Last edited by iceland on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:03 am

This has strongly motivated me to retake the LSAT.
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:33 am

epark84 wrote:I'm submitting my apps this week, but I heard that schools will hold off on reviewing your app if they see that you registered for a future test date.

Will the adcoms review my apps w/ my Dec score, and give me additional consideration if my score improves in Feb? Or just hold onto my app until I complete Feb? It's already late in the cycle, so I wouldn't want them to wait any longer

I didn't like my October score and when I signed up for December, all my schools put my apps. on hold for the December score. I will likely re-take for a 4th time in February for all of the reasons that 180orBust states but I think the timing of signing up for it is critical because I don't want to push the review of my applications back into March. I'll probably have to pay the late fee and sign up for the Feb. test on the last day of late registration which is like Jan. 20th. I hope that's allowed if it's for a 4th test in 2 years.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:21 am

well-hello-there wrote:
epark84 wrote:I'm submitting my apps this week, but I heard that schools will hold off on reviewing your app if they see that you registered for a future test date.

I didn't like my October score and when I signed up for December, all my schools put my apps. on hold for the December score. I will likely re-take for a 4th time in February for all of the reasons that 180orBust states but I think the timing of signing up for it is critical because I don't want to push the review of my applications back into March. I'll probably have to pay the late fee and sign up for the Feb. test on the last day of late registration which is like Jan. 20th. I hope that's allowed if it's for a 4th test in 2 years.

If all your apps are submitted and complete before you sign up for another lsat, I don't know that they will hold off reviewing. I think they would have already received your lsac report, and I don't think lsac will send an updated one to say you signed up for another test, rather will update it when you receive a score. (I hope this is the case, if anyone knows the concrete answer....)

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:22 am

180orbust wrote:1) If you think you did worse, you can always cancel it.
2) It's only ~$130
3) If you do better on it, then you can use your higher score to help you get in off a waitlist, or you can use it to ask for more scholarship $$.
4) Since you already have a good enough score that you sent in your application and you've gotten your first-time jitters under control, there's less pressure, so you're more likely to do well.

I did this, and increased my score from 167 to 170. This got me off the WL at Vandy with a $45k scholarship, and it increased my scholarship at my other school from $66k to $96k.

What do you have to lose?

Thanks for the advice
I'll shoot for that 180 this time
:roll:

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:47 am

JenDarby wrote:If all your apps are submitted and complete before you sign up for another lsat, I don't know that they will hold off reviewing. I think they would have already received your lsac report, and I don't think lsac will send an updated one to say you signed up for another test, rather will update it when you receive a score. (I hope this is the case, if anyone knows the concrete answer....)

Michigan specifically states that they will NOT wait to review your application if you have at least one LSAT and all the minimum required documents have been received. If you apply ED to UVa and you are registered for a future LSAT but already have a reported score, UVa will ask you if you want them to wait for your new score or review your app. as is.
I just checked my LSAC account and on the reports that were sent out to schools when I applied and when my LSAT score was updated, there is no indication anywhere that would let the schools know that I was already signed up for yet another LSAT. So this leads me to believe that they have another way of knowing about test registrations aside from the law school report that I can see through my LSAC account.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:30 am

well-hello-there wrote:
JenDarby wrote:If all your apps are submitted and complete before you sign up for another lsat, I don't know that they will hold off reviewing. I think they would have already received your lsac report, and I don't think lsac will send an updated one to say you signed up for another test, rather will update it when you receive a score. (I hope this is the case, if anyone knows the concrete answer....)

Michigan specifically states that they will NOT wait to review your application if you have at least one LSAT and all the minimum required documents have been received. If you apply ED to UVa and you are registered for a future LSAT but already have a reported score, UVa will ask you if you want them to wait for your new score or review your app. as is.
I just checked my LSAC account and on the reports that were sent out to schools when I applied and when my LSAT score was updated, there is no indication anywhere that would let the schools know that I was already signed up for yet another LSAT. So this leads me to believe that they have another way of knowing about test registrations aside from the law school report that I can see through my LSAC account.

I applied to Fordham and October LSAT score was updated. Everything else was submitted and should have went complete on 11/16 or so (too lazy to check the exact date). They saw the Dec. registration and held my application.... and didn't tell me.

I would call all schools specifically before I bank on any retake strategy. Fordham was a safety (like my admits at W&M and W&L - schools that didn't hold my application). If I would have known they would have an future lsat auto-hold I would have pushed my app complete.

I would retake in February for scholly $s especially to schools I am already admitted to, but I'm a chicken and don't want any apps held.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”