International (non-US) LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
butter33

New

International (non-US) LSAT

Post by butter33 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Are they curved differently? Are they even the same test? So if someone takes the LSAT in Australia, do they get the same questions as people in the USA? I'd imagine, because of time differences, that they have to administer different tests and thus you aren't 'ranked' (I know that's not really how the curve works, but you get me) against students in the US.

Can anyone let me know one way or the other? I've had a look around the internet and I've not really found much at all verifying it one way or the other

Thanks

lifeaway1985

Bronze

Re: International (non-US) LSAT

Post by lifeaway1985 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 pm

I can only say that the tests in China, Japan, and Korea seem to be similar to one another and less difficult than those in US.

butter33

New

Post by butter33 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 am

But it's still similar to the US test, right? So if I downloaded prep material for the LSAT online (from US websites) and used it to prepare, it would be applicable? Or is it a whole new test?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:54 am

It's a different test form but scaled the same way. So a person taking an international test talking to someone taking a domestic test would be like someone taking the October test talking to someone taking the December test: it's another LSAT, scaled the same way, created the same way, tested the same way, scored the same way, but just with different questions.

LSAC has a bank of a LOT of extra tests just waiting in the wings for use in such circumstances. Sometimes they have to use a bunch of them at once; see Snowpalooza in February this year. I think there were five separate February LSATs (one in March) that all had different test forms.

It's likely that an international test one year will (many years later) became a domestic test and get released as a PT. People who are paying REALLY close attention can probably cite instances of this actually happening.

butter33

New

Post by butter33 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks for that, exactly what I needed to know (was worried no-one would have a clue what I was on about)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 am

It the same Test for all of North America and the Caribbean

butter33

New

Post by butter33 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:27 am

serdog wrote:It the same Test for all of North America and the Caribbean

yes, but my question was about tests OUTSIDE of north america.

sojuteacher

Bronze

Post by sojuteacher » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:41 am

i took the October test in Korea. Turns out that some of the sections were almost exactly the same from a past PT. See http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&start=75

I doubt that the curve was generous though (score was much lower than I expected -- but thats just me saying)

lifeaway1985

Bronze

Post by lifeaway1985 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:29 am

sojuteacher wrote:i took the October test in Korea. Turns out that some of the sections were almost exactly the same from a past PT. See http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&start=75

I doubt that the curve was generous though (score was much lower than I expected -- but thats just me saying)
:shock: almost the same??? Shit!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kpuc

Bronze

Post by kpuc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:02 am

lifeaway1985 wrote:
sojuteacher wrote:i took the October test in Korea. Turns out that some of the sections were almost exactly the same from a past PT. See http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&start=75

:shock: almost the same??? Shit!
I believe it was from an undisclosed test a few years ago. So unless you happened to have taken that test way back then, nobody had access to the questions. It's not as if some publicly-available PT was distributed as a rehashed LSAT.

Benjamin J

New

Post by Benjamin J » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:33 pm

butter33 wrote:

I took it in Argentina and it was the same test all of the people on the main threads are talking about. Stairs/ladders, stars, aliens on LR, stained glass, conferences on LG, RC passages about lichens, 1850 lit, dental caries and something else.

Not sure if that helps, just gives another outside of North America test taker that actually had the same North American test. Different experience than the test takers in Asia.

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:46 pm

butter33 wrote:

Your question indicated US

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 am

Benjamin J wrote:
butter33 wrote:

I took it in Argentina and it was the same test all of the people on the main threads are talking about. Stairs/ladders, stars, aliens on LR, stained glass, conferences on LG, RC passages about lichens, 1850 lit, dental caries and something else.

Not sure if that helps, just gives another outside of North America test taker that actually had the same North American test. Different experience than the test takers in Asia.
I assume that's a time zone thing. Everywhere in South America is within an hour or two of somewhere in North America. Australia and East Asia are not.

And it's not at all surprising that unreleased tests get recycled. Other testing companies (*cough* the makers of the SAT *cough*) release fewer tests so that they can do this much, much more often.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

butter33

New

Post by butter33 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:57 am

serdog wrote:
butter33 wrote:

Your question indicated US

You can't be serious

Lord_Roy

New

Post by Lord_Roy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:28 am

Glad I finally found this thread and figured out why my lsat was different from the one everyone else seems to have taken. My test center was in Munich and I fear I may have screwed up royally, I really hope the curve is going to be lenient...

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:15 pm

+1 on everything tomwatts said, except I prefer the term "snowpocalypse" to "snowpalooza" :P

Anecdotal evidence suggests LSAC reuses North American February exams for:

-international administrations (those outside North America)

-Sabbath-observer administrations (which are usually the following Monday)

-cases like this past February, when the LSAT was postponed in several parts of the Northeast US due to snow. They wouldn't simply give the same LSAT that had been given on the originally-scheduled day (they're not idiots and want to preserve the integrity of the exam), so they used various unreleased exams they'd saved up for the various makeup dates.

Of course, LSAC won't confirm this. I emailed them on the off chance they would, but no such luck :)

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:10 am

I took the test in China three years ago (Dec 07) and was surprised to find it was the exact same test that everyone in the USA got. I know that usually it is a different test though. LSAT still counted it as non-disclosed, so I didn't get a copy. I know it's anonymous, anecdotal evidence, but, well, I'm not lying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rivermaker

Bronze

Post by rivermaker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:58 pm

do results come at the same day as the US?

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 pm

rivermaker wrote:do results come at the same day as the US?
Here's hoping...I took it China and can't wait much longer!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”