Possible to take the LSAT a 5th time?

dec_failure

Possible to take the LSAT a 5th time?

Postby dec_failure » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:38 pm

I got sponsored to write the LSAT in dec. Although it was the fourth time I wrote it, I completely choked. Is it possible to get sponsored to write it again in February? Also would it be wise to cancel my Dec result? I have a previous cancel and two scores on my record, and I'm pretty certain that my dec result may be worse then (or right around) my best score on record. I'm probably one of the only applicants ever that wants to write it for a 5th time...my life just sucks right now.

kkklick

Re: Possible to take the LSAT a 5th time?

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm going to try to be constructive here. First, I'm pretty sure 4 is the max, even a sponsor won't work. Even so, I think you may have an issue that's not LSAT related, and it's in taking a difficult exam in time pressure situations. Since it's your last shot I'd keep it, you might get lucky, how exactly did you choke? One section or multiple?

lsat_doobie

Postby lsat_doobie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 pm

are you certain about 4 being the max? you're right about it being something not LSAT related. I was averaging 161-170 in my PTs. I didn't get a minute of sleep the night before and I was just panicking while writing the test. Besides being tired I was just really anxious and had a hard time just understanding the material. It was like nothing I've ever experienced or expected. I think I just completely choked knowing this was all or nothing. I honestly couldn't tell you if I even hit 160, most likely in the 150s. I wasn't really confident in any section and it goes without saying that LG was a massive failure

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:34 pm

lsat_doobie wrote:are you certain about 4 being the max? you're right about it being something not LSAT related. I was averaging 161-170 in my PTs. I didn't get a minute of sleep the night before and I was just panicking while writing the test. Besides being tired I was just really anxious and had a hard time just understanding the material. It was like nothing I've ever experienced or expected. I think I just completely choked knowing this was all or nothing. I honestly couldn't tell you if I even hit 160, most likely in the 150s. I wasn't really confident in any section and it goes without saying that LG was a massive failure

That's exactly what it was. In June when I bombed the first section (which turned out to be experimental) it rattled me to the max. I wrote the entire test using about 20% brain power because I was so dejected. What always helped me was while doing the test, saying to myself that it's just a test and people overestimate its importance and difficulty, while it may be a load of crap, it helped calm me down. You have to find ways to not allow yourselves to think in those ways because the human psyche can do a lot of annoying things under pressure/stress.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:40 am

lsat_doobie wrote:are you certain about 4 being the max?

How many times can I take the LSAT?

Normally, you may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or it is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to cancel your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy. However, you may retake the LSAT if a law school to which you are applying requires a more recent score than any you have on record, or approves your retaking the test, and the school provides LSAC with written proof of its requirement no later than the last day of registration for the test.

Essentially, you can take the LSAT as many times as you want. Just have to be willing to bother some adcomm to write an e-mail on your behalf.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”