To Cancel or to Not Cancel Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sanctvm

New

To Cancel or to Not Cancel

Post by sanctvm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Please help...

First time test-taker that completely crumbled on the December test. We almost had a bathroom riot at UCLA prior to the test and sometime during the night when I "did" sleep, I somehow managed to crack my molar to the cavity. Was in extreme pain the whole test and guessed at 50% of it.
I'm retaking in February for sure and most likely testing in June.
I really want to apply this cycle but realize the lateness of my applications...

There are two schools with a January 15 and February 1st deadline; do I keep my hellish score so I can at least apply - and then hopefully my February test will redeem me? This way I can at least apply... Or cancel - let the idea of those two schools go and shoot for February for the 2011 cycle?

kkklick

Silver

Re: To Cancel or to Not Cancel

Post by kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm

Your siutation sucks, it depends how badly you want to go this year. Writing in Feb means your competing for fewer spots with people who have good scores. If you guessed 50% thats definately grounds for a cancel.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:17 pm

If you guessed at 50% of it, you should cancel and delay your cycle.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:17 pm

sanctvm wrote:Please help...

I'm retaking in February for sure and most likely testing in June.
I really want to apply this cycle but realize the lateness of my applications...

If you're retaking anyway then cancel. it sounds like your score will not be a reflection of your ability so no point in keeping it. study hard and take it later. are you a UCLA student? I graduated from there in 09.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:19 pm

I think it depends on what your GPA is, what schools you want to go to, and what your PT avg is.

If you are gunning for a top school and you crumbled, cancel and reapply next year. If your GPA is mediocre, your PT avg is mediocre, and you're going for a Top 100 (or 161-165 gives you a fighting chance no matter what), then just keep it.

It is important to be true to yourself. I canceled in June thinking I was def. a 168 - mid 170's test taker, but I was delusional. Now I wonder with the generous June curve if I should have kept my score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanctvm

New

Post by sanctvm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Thank you - confirmed what I already knew... Over thinking everything really gets in the way. If I choose to delay and apply early for 2012 does LSAC keep my letters of recommendation for that cycle or do I have to get them all over again?

No - went to the University of Washington - tested at UCLA - the worst proctors ever. By the time we started it was almost 10:30 and people were yelling about needing to go to the bathroom. And then the test.... can't even talk about it.

sanctvm

New

Post by sanctvm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:29 pm

bartleby wrote:I think it depends on what your GPA is, what schools you want to go to, and what your PT avg is.

If you are gunning for a top school and you crumbled, cancel and reapply next year. If your GPA is mediocre, your PT avg is mediocre, and you're going for a Top 100 (or 161-165 gives you a fighting chance no matter what), then just keep it.

It is important to be true to yourself. I canceled in June thinking I was def. a 168 - mid 170's test taker, but I was delusional. Now I wonder with the generous June curve if I should have kept my score.
Back to being confused.
Yes mediocre GPA - Top 80 and shooting for 160 - 165.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 pm

sanctvm wrote:
bartleby wrote:I think it depends on what your GPA is, what schools you want to go to, and what your PT avg is.

Back to being confused.
Yes mediocre GPA - Top 80 and shooting for 160 - 165.
Sorry - I didn't even see that you guessed on 50% of it. Generally, if you've guessed on 50% of a single section, you should consider canceling.

I don't really know your situation but if you guessed on 50% of the entire thing, most likely cancel. Use advice on public message board as...advice. Make your own decisions.

sanctvm

New

Post by sanctvm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:33 pm

The school with the January 15th deadline is the UW. And of course, of all the schools I'm applying to - they average scores.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanctvm

New

Post by sanctvm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:40 pm

score cancellation form printed.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Cancel unless you work & guess well under extreme pain.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 pm

cancel. Being in pain, guessing, plus knowing nerves got to you= cancel form. Best of luck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”