Speed Reading books for RC?

uclablue77

Speed Reading books for RC?

Postby uclablue77 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Hey everyone,
First timer on this forum! :) Has anyone made use of a speed reading book to help with RC? There are a few of these books out there and I am wondering if reading one of these 200+ page books would be worth my time? If so, what book is the best? I am consistently scoring 159-162 on PT's by focusing on 3 passages and guessing on the 4th.

BTW I was scheduled to take the DEC test but the test center had a problem w/my passport so I was unable to take the test :( Seeing as though I will be at a huge disadvantage applying to rolling schools w/a Feb test score I am hoping to use these next couple of months to do whatever it takes to better my RC skills... Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

SageD

Re: Speed Reading books for RC?

Postby SageD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:37 pm

uclablue77 wrote:Hey everyone,
First timer on this forum! :) Has anyone made use of a speed reading book to help with RC? There are a few of these books out there and I am wondering if reading one of these 200+ page books would be worth my time? If so, what book is the best? I am consistently scoring 159-162 on PT's by focusing on 3 passages and guessing on the 4th.

BTW I was scheduled to take the DEC test but the test center had a problem w/my passport so I was unable to take the test :( Seeing as though I will be at a huge disadvantage applying to rolling schools w/a Feb test score I am hoping to use these next couple of months to do whatever it takes to better my RC skills... Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Read the New York Times, read The Economist, read literary and scientific journals, read Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, read whatever. Just read for hours a day and try to challenge yourself with dense material. It'll help a lot more than trying to learn tricks. RC doesn't require particularly quick reading, anyway. It just requires retention.

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:46 pm

SageD wrote:
uclablue77 wrote:Hey everyone,

Read the New York Times, read The Economist, read literary and scientific journals, read Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, read whatever. Just read for hours a day and try to challenge yourself with dense material. It'll help a lot more than trying to learn tricks. RC doesn't require particularly quick reading, anyway. It just requires retention.

Agreed. You don't have to read super fast to ace RC, you just have to be able to process what you read, as you read it.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm

If you have the money (and time), take a speed reading class. People will laugh at you on this board and suggest something like "Read dense material constantly" but I know someone who was a slow ass reader who ended up improving a lot in RC after taking a speed reading class. But he did it for the MCATs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”