Univeristy of DC LSAT Heat Issue - DON'T CANCEL SCORES YET! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
smartblonde87

Bronze

Univeristy of DC LSAT Heat Issue - DON'T CANCEL SCORES YET!

Post by smartblonde87 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Just talked to LSAC about the testing center University of DC for 12.11.10.

If the heat caused a problem for you at the testing center (it was at least 80* in there), you can write a formal complaint, which extends your cancellation date until they determine a solution for the problem - ranging from a letter in your file explaining the testing center conditions to a retest. Call 215.968.1001 or fax your letter to 215.968.1277.

Letter should include:
LSAC #
Date of Test
Today's Date
Test Center # (1568 for UDC)
Description of your complaint
Signature

gambelda

Bronze

Re: Univeristy of DC LSAT Heat Issue - DON'T CANCEL SCORES YET!

Post by gambelda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:03 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:Just talked to LSAC about the testing center University of DC for 12.11.10.

If the heat caused a problem for you at the testing center (it was at least 80* in there), you can write a formal complaint, which extends your cancellation date until they determine a solution for the problem - ranging from a letter in your file explaining the testing center conditions to a retest. Call 215.968.1001 or fax your letter to 215.968.1277.

Letter should include:
LSAC #
Date of Test
Today's Date
Signature
Are you serious? Thank God. It was an inferno in there. What happens if we file a complaint? I mean will they cancel and not count it as a cancel? Will we get a refund? I'm just wondering because it was literally hell on earth in that room.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:05 pm

For similar situations in the past, they'll allow you to sign up for a future test for free and provide that letter OP mentioned. Not sure about refunding this one, and I doubt they'd grant a retest. It would show up as a regular cancel.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Couldn't they just have cracked a window open or something? I feel for people with bad testing conditions, I had to right on 6 inch wide pull up arm tables for June, I was literally holding the test booklet in the air reading. The anxiety plus bed testing conditions are both in themselves sufficient to lead to a bad experience.

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:07 pm

Also, do you know what the EXACT temperature was? I want to be as descriptive as possible with my complaint form. The heat coupled with a 2 hour delay in the start time where we couldn't leave the room was HORRIBLE. I was actually pissed I had worn jeans in the middle of winter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:08 pm

kkklick wrote:Couldn't they just have cracked a window open or something? I feel for people with bad testing conditions, I had to right on 6 inch wide pull up arm tables for June, I was literally holding the test booklet in the air reading. The anxiety plus bed testing conditions are both in themselves sufficient to lead to a bad experience.
No we were in the middle of a building. i.e. no windows. 100+ people jammed in together with no windows and the internal heat of the room made wearing a regular t-shirt feel like you were still outside in Texas in the middle of summer.

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:For similar situations in the past, they'll allow you to sign up for a future test for free and provide that letter OP mentioned. Not sure about refunding this one, and I doubt they'd grant a retest. It would show up as a regular cancel.
So I could feasibly do a regular cancel but have them write a letter to accompany my applications that says here is a possible reason for my cancelation? If so, that would be great and make my decision so much easier.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:11 pm

gambelda wrote:
kkklick wrote:Couldn't they just have cracked a window open or something? I feel for people with bad testing conditions, I had to right on 6 inch wide pull up arm tables for June, I was literally holding the test booklet in the air reading. The anxiety plus bed testing conditions are both in themselves sufficient to lead to a bad experience.
No we were in the middle of a building. i.e. no windows. 100+ people jammed in together with no windows and the internal heat of the room made wearing a regular t-shirt feel like you were still outside in Texas in the middle of summer.
I'm starting to feel like you are not over exaggerating...Terrible. I wrote @ Niagara College in Welland Ontario in October and loved it so I made sure in December I wrote there, ideal testing conditions are instrumental to performing the best you can.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:Just talked to LSAC about the testing center University of DC for 12.11.10.

Letter should include:
LSAC #
Date of Test
Today's Date
Signature
FWIW if you wait until they "determine a solution" it can and probably will take weeks for them to decide what they're going to do, and then if you decide to keep the score it takes another few days after you notify them to actually receive the score - which means your app will be significantly delayed. So if anyone's set on applying this cycle, keep this in mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:03 pm

They will extend your cancellation date until they make a decision on the complaint. I'm not sure of the exact temperature, but if I had to guess I'd say 84* or 85*. If anyone else can give insight on this that would be awesome.

The LSAC rep made it sound like the letter was the least they would do if they determined it to be an issue. Which will definitely help if I cancel.

novab

New

Post by novab » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I took the June 2010 LSAT at jacksonville univ. It was a 94 degree day and our room's air conditioning was not working. It got up to over 80 in the room(I was next to the thermostat) it was horrible and there were two girls who freaked out crying and it was a mess. I sent a complaint in letter form with my cancel form via fax (and called to make sure that they got it) and about a week later I got an email saying that it was noted that there were problems on the proctor form and that they would issue me a fee waiver for another test, send a letter regarding the situation along with my LSAT score report to the schools and would cancel the score. Te only thing is that the cancel is an actual cancel and shows up as such. I still did it and felt better about it afterwards

Def do a complaint if the test situation sucked...

Last bumped by smartblonde87 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:25 pm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”