Did I misread a rule in LG?

kpuc

Did I misread a rule in LG?

Postby kpuc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:52 pm

I took the Dec LSAT abroad, so I didn't take the one that the vast majority of you guys took.

One thing has started to bother me today. The LSAT I took had moderate LG, except for a final game that was weird and tough. I approached it with 10 minutes to spare, so I had plenty of time to read and digest the rules (there were about 5 of them, which is on the high side). It wasn't a breezy game, but I was going along well, until I got to the 2nd last question. No matter what I did, all the answers seemed impossible. I left it blank, and got to the last question, and solved it. With maybe a minute or so left in the section, I went back to the question that stumped me and tried my best to figure it out but I still couldn't and I ended up picking an A/C I thought was incorrect.

Now, if I simply forgot to read a rule that would've solved that one question, I can live with that mistake. But now, I'm wondering if somehow I misread the whole game, and that every one of my other A/Cs are wrong. In my PTs, I almost never misread global rules — though I occasionally misread local rules. I often cross-check the questions with the global rules to make sure that I'm not forgetting or contradicting anything.

Do you think it's possible that misreading a rule could provide 6/7 "correct" answers? If I truly misread a rule, shouldn't I have encountered more problems than just in that 2nd last question? I hope so, because that would give me some piece of mind. A -1 in LG is something I can live with. but -7 would be an unmitigated disaster.

58932ugahoige

Re: Did I misread a rule in LG?

Postby 58932ugahoige » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:56 pm

I usually go no more than -2 on LG, with a typical score of -0, but on my first LSAT I put "exactly" instead of "at least". I also wrote down another wrong--if you're wondering why, I knew I was killing the test and got really complacent--and went 1/6 on the last game. It took me from a 175 to a 169.

So it's possible, but don't freak out until you it back, it's not worth the time.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 pm

I went -6 on a single game because of that on the Oct test. Still, on many games you can get away with it only missing one or 2.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 am

I felt the same as OP for the conferences game, one question I just couldn't really figure out.

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:38 am

OP is it possible that you missed a hidden rule that was in the initial stimulus? Sometimes I will find myself so focused on the rules that are spelled out in list form that a rule they embed in the paragraph that is needed for one or more of the questions gets lost in my mind and I have to remind myself to go re-read it.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 am

2014 wrote:OP is it possible that you missed a hidden rule that was in the initial stimulus? Sometimes I will find myself so focused on the rules that are spelled out in list form that a rule they embed in the paragraph that is needed for one or more of the questions gets lost in my mind and I have to remind myself to go re-read it.

Possible. Whatever the case, I just hope that it only affected that question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”