cancel retake?

Frau_Blucher

cancel retake?

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm thinking about doing a cancel and re-take. I messed up on the LG section hardcore, and I know I can do better (I haven't bombed a LG section in a long time!). It's pretty much a gut decision - every test I've ever dominated, I've walked out knowing that I dominated. I just don't feel that with this one. But there is a problem that's causing me to hesitate:

How do I study for a re-take? I mean, I've already taken ALL the practice tests! If I take them again, I'll probably be recognizing questions, which doesn't do me any good, since I'll just be remembering the key inferences rather than thinking through them -- if anything that could hurt me, since I will have gone 2 months without seeing any ORIGINAL lsat question (i.e. one I haven't already seen)... does anyone have any advice?

tourdeforcex

Re: cancel retake?

Postby tourdeforcex » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 pm

you will recognize questions and you might even remember answers. but still just go through the thinking process again, come to those key inferences, and choose the correct answer.

when i studied for my retake, i was retaking tests i had taken before, but the funny thing was, i was getting maybe half the questions i got wrong the first time, wrong again, and the same exact answer choice too. so, my thinking process had not changed. and you can still change that.

after a while, you'll forget questions and answers too. if not completely, enough that you can still have somewhat of a fresh approach. not really sure what alternatives there are.

try this, retake the PT you scored lowest on, if you get a 180, you're set and i don't know what to say. but let's say you score the same as you did last time... or 3 points higher... then there's room for improvement right? (assuming 3 points higher is not 180)

Frau_Blucher

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. Yeah, I think you're right. The chances are that I will not remember them all, and even if I do, that just provides an opportunity to further solidify the logic behind the question (which is always good :) ). Same thing with questions I previously missed: either I'll miss them again (good b/c I can analyze them and re-work the logic), or I'll recognize and understand the inference (which is also good, since I'll probably be more able to recognize the same logic when it takes a slightly different form on any other question). I also think I could work more on endurance training by taking two tests a day instead of one - I think this would help regardless of whether or not I recognize the questions.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:34 pm

mmm your most recent posting in this thread sounds good except for the 2 tests a day. it's really not necessary and might even become discouraging.

i was doing 3 PT / week.

the most important thing is to simulate as close to testing environment as possible. don't lock yourself in your room w/ perfect temperature, perfect lighting, no noise at all. try going to a library or a quiet cafe and learn to concentrate 100% w/ all the ambient noise. next no breaks until 3rd section done, do a 15 min break, go to the bathroom, then 2 sections. don't worry about writing sample.

then probably the next most important thing is: review! it is more important to review really really well than to take another PT that day.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:51 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:mmm your most recent posting in this thread sounds good except for the 2 tests a day. it's really not necessary and might even become discouraging.

i was doing 3 PT / week.

the most important thing is to simulate as close to testing environment as possible. don't lock yourself in your room w/ perfect temperature, perfect lighting, no noise at all. try going to a library or a quiet cafe and learn to concentrate 100% w/ all the ambient noise. next no breaks until 3rd section done, do a 15 min break, go to the bathroom, then 2 sections. don't worry about writing sample.

then probably the next most important thing is: review! it is more important to review really really well than to take another PT that day.

I did my PT's in very uncomfortable situations, in a quiet room but, freezing cold temperature in shorts, no water, no food, no 15 minute break, no reviewing answers after each section. Also, not a second more than 35 minutes, no breakfast before hand.

I wanted to make sure no experience could be worse than what I was going through practicing, after a while those factors didn't affect me and on test day the conditions were great, even the guy beside me cracking his knuckles louder than I've ever heard didn't phase me. But I think it bothered him when on LG I was erasing pretty loud lol.

Frau_Blucher

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Thanks again for the advice! One question I have, if it's not too personal, is how did you balance your social life while studying -- in all honesty, I think I might have burned myself out a bit at the end. I mean, the last month (I studied for about 5 months total) I was alternating two PTs a day/one PT a day (so 2-1-2-1...). It was like 8 hours a day, every day; and when I wasn't studying I was running (haha that was my only relief). I had virtually no social life - I think I might have become slightly depressed towards the end.

I did the two PT back-to-back in order to strengthen a particular weakness I noticed, which was I found that my focus was weak towards the 5th section, and I would always do worse. when I reviewed my wrong answers I was constantly smacking my brain, like 'what was I thinking'. It did work; but maybe the cost outweighed the benefit?

Also does anyone have any insight into the review process they would be willing to share? I understand how important it is, and everyone emphasizes that aspect of the study regimen, but I have yet to have a meaningful discussion about the actual dynamic. When I would review my PT, I would do all the games slowly regardless of whether or not I aced the section or missed a few. for the LR, I just looked at it for a while until I realized "Oh that's what it was" and then moved on the the next question -- the total review time per question was about 5-6 min. Too little? I never really reviewed the RC at all (half b/c I didn't know how, and half from laziness); I guess that's somewhat of a silly question, since learning is such an individual thing and all, but how did you handle it? Thanks for the help! (oh, if it helps, my PT average is about 163).

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:34 pm

When you review a question you got wrong identify exactly what it is about the choice you picked that is wrong. A commonly heard phase on the forums is the best scorers don't pick the right answer they eliminate all the wrong ones. Identify all the ways in which the test makers try to trick you, and learn to cross out those answers accordingly.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:15 pm

fosterp wrote:When you review a question you got wrong identify exactly what it is about the choice you picked that is wrong. A commonly heard phase on the forums is the best scorers don't pick the right answer they eliminate all the wrong ones. Identify all the ways in which the test makers try to trick you, and learn to cross out those answers accordingly.

A better tip actually is pre-phasing an answer before you get to it, this works mostly for LR and some on RC. Of course LR questions that bring in outside info, this tactic wouldn't work. I was finding that after reading a stim with a flaw, I found 2 or 3 flaws that could easily be right, but I couldn't figure out which one was more right than the others. However when I started looking for the most obvious flaw and pre-phrasing answers, it was much easier.

To OP, I had no social life for about 3 weeks leading up to the test, a PT every other day for 4 hours with a little bit of review, and that was it. I just played video games, watched TV and kept the stress to a minimum. I felt that it helped me focus yet keep a clear mind.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”