December 2010 Curve Prediction Poll

For Dec. 2010 takers: what do you think the 170 curve will be?

6%
1%
6%
6%
17%
21%
30%
8%
5%

Total votes: 216

testmachine45

Re: December 2010 Curve Prediction Poll

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 am

robotclubmember wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:anyone know why i suck so bad and couldnt even finish the test, let along the sections in time or think coherently at all vs being able to do all these things at home?

If you need advice you should post a thread on the specific areas you are weak in, and people will give advice. If you don't know the specific areas you are weak in, you should grab your last five prep tests and tally up the wrongs by their type to see do you have a problem with assumption questions, in/out games, main points questions on rc passages, for example.

And no the curve will not be -16, sorry bro.

could be -15

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:24 am

If they don't drop a question it will be -13, if they do it will be -12. I think most of the pessimistic individuals are not realizing that for the majority of test takers this LG messed with more people numbers-wise than the mulch/interns games from June, which was thought to be some of the hardest LG's at the time for people who missed the inferences. RC was easier than usual, LR was still tricky, Usually -3 or -4 but I can already think of 3 or 4 I definately got wrong, which leads me to believe it was harder than usual. I wouldn't be suprised with a -14 though, PT 59 had a way harder RC, but an easier LG with LR being relatively similar in difficulty.

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Often times a logic game that seems to have a lot of hypotheticals can have 2-3 of the options eliminated just by looking at them.

Just sayin it can happen, not necessarily on this test though.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:09 pm

kkklick wrote:If they don't drop a question it will be -13, if they do it will be -12. I think most of the pessimistic individuals are not realizing that for the majority of test takers this LG messed with more people numbers-wise than the mulch/interns games from June, which was thought to be some of the hardest LG's at the time for people who missed the inferences. RC was easier than usual, LR was still tricky, Usually -3 or -4 but I can already think of 3 or 4 I definately got wrong, which leads me to believe it was harder than usual. I wouldn't be suprised with a -14 though, PT 59 had a way harder RC, but an easier LG with LR being relatively similar in difficulty.

IMO RC was not identifiably easier. I smoked through Oct's RC and missed 3 due to silly mistakes. Dec RC had some tough calls, like in Carries/Analogy question. I think LR was on par or maybe even harder than October. LG was X-factor harder. IMO, not just based off my personal relative feelings but how I think the test taking sample as a whole would fare, anything les than -12 is impossible. I just cant sit here and say that if you took October and Dec side by side you would see an equality in level of difficulty, with a 1-2 maybe even 3 if they keep 102 question jump being believable.

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:15 pm

I think RC was similar to October and maybe marginally tougher. I only missed 2 on October's RC which is a stellar day for me, and I really doubt I did that well on these.

LR was probably easier on the whole imo. There weren't really any intense formal logic questions like Rule of Law to drain time, and there weren't any total stupid wild cards like Shakespeare. It was not much easier though, and overall very comparable.

LG obviously the consensus is harder, though I think it was less ridiculously hard than others.

It's tough for me to gauge though because I had to blind guess 3 at the end of LG in October, and 1 at the end of RC. On this test I finished both sections, which makes me think both were easier, but I will attribute it to being way more prepared this time around.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm

All of this is incredibly subjective, but my experience was that December was on the whole a bit easier than October. I thought RC was comparable, LR was easier, and LG were more difficult. Whether LG were substantially harder than LR was easier, we'll see... definitely could be "1 point" harder.

I mean, do you remember everyone freaking out about the Shakespeare question? Rule of Law?

There were some tough questions on LR, but it doesn't seem like there was anything that was exceptionally difficult.

So, with all that in mind (and the additional question), I'm betting the curve is -14.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:19 pm

2014 wrote:I think RC was similar to October and maybe marginally tougher. I only missed 2 on October's RC which is a stellar day for me, and I really doubt I did that well on these.

LR was probably easier on the whole imo. There weren't really any intense formal logic questions like Rule of Law to drain time, and there weren't any total stupid wild cards like Shakespeare. It was not much easier though, and overall very comparable.

LG obviously the consensus is harder, though I think it was less ridiculously hard than others.

It's tough for me to gauge though because I had to blind guess 3 at the end of LG in October, and 1 at the end of RC. On this test I finished both sections, which makes me think both were easier, but I will attribute it to being way more prepared this time around.

Incredible we wrote this at the same time.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I just cant sit here and say that if you took October and Dec side by side you would see an equality in level of difficulty

I can't either. October was the harder test. I missed 8 on RC in October and when I got the test booklet back I was shocked. I re-did October RC under timed conditions again and MISSED ELEVEN!! For December, -3 or -4 at the most.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:22 pm

I blanked on the African Historiography passage on Octobers RC and made careless errors on 2 of the other passages, on this test I felt much more dialed in, thought the lichens and medical illustrations was definately easy saving 1 in each that I had to take time on and was fully confident. The 2 hard passages had some tough time killing questions, but I felt much better about it so I guess I can't say it was easier in general maybe it was just easier for me. LR, made a couple dumb mistakes, but that happens to me on every test I do, always a couple of dumb errors, sometimes I think it's just inevitable? LG, could have gone pretty well for me or another sub-par performance. Stained glass windows will make or break that section for me as only 2 in conferences I was unsure of.

With all that being said, still stand by my intial prediction of -13.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I just cant sit here and say that if you took October and Dec side by side you would see an equality in level of difficulty

I can't either. October was the harder test. I missed 8 on RC in October and when I got the test booklet back I was shocked. I re-did October RC under timed conditions again and MISSED ELEVEN!! For December, -3 or -4 at the most.

That's weird, I got -10 on test day and when I re-did october's RC I got -3.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 pm

well-hello-there wrote:

I got my best recent PT score on Oct10 RC at -3 so take your experience with a grain of salt. I had been missing bunches up until the test and I finished 5 mins early....

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:27 pm

When I re-did it for the third time I scored -0. Scoring worse on the second try for me has never happened except for that time.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:28 pm

also I remember LR in Oct I thought I had aced all the "hard ones" like shakespear etc, maybe missing 2 or 3. I ended up missing others that nobody was talking about. I'd venture to say that ppl arent talking as much about specific LR because LG probably KILLED them. Some of the LRs were hard, like stars/exotic fish.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Sandro777 wrote:also I remember LR in Oct I thought I had aced all the "hard ones" like shakespear etc, maybe missing 2 or 3. I ended up missing others that nobody was talking about. I'd venture to say that ppl arent talking as much about specific LR because LG probably KILLED them. Some of the LRs were hard, like stars/exotic fish.

This is exactly how I feel, LR had tough ones/tricky AC's throughout the section not just concentrated from 15-25.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 pm

both those questions were easy

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:36 pm

I read the question stem and stimulus to each of those and at THAT point I was confused because I couldn't come up with any sort of pre-phrase but I have learned to just go to the answers when that happens. All the wrong answers had problems with them .

ren2011

Postby ren2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm

well-hello-there wrote:both those questions were easy

*sigh* there's always someone...

Shockingly, different people find different questions easier/harder. Of course LSAC ranks their difficulty overall, but sometimes a certain question just doesn't click for a person who normally gets "difficult" questions. Why waste time arguing over whether a specific question was easy or hard?
Last edited by ren2011 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
2014 wrote:I think RC was similar to October and maybe marginally tougher. I only missed 2 on October's RC which is a stellar day for me, and I really doubt I did that well on these.

Incredible we wrote this at the same time.

Haha yeah, those two damn questions...
And it looks like we agreed on the section difficulties too. Now if only you are right about -14, then everyone comes out a winner :P
Last edited by 2014 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm

The exotic fish/birds question still has me stuck! I think that and stars were really the only ones that gave me serious pause. I don't normally finish early - I like to take my time - and I was able to complete every section. Still thinking -12.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:38 pm

While I thought many of the questions were "easy" that doesnt mean I think they were easy for everyone else, the essence of a curve debate. A 180 tester is going to say it was all easy. A 150 will say it was all hard.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 pm

ren2011 wrote:sometimes a certain question just doesn't click for a person who normally gets "difficult" questions.

agreed. That happened to me on a few and I know someone who thought they were easy. And there was another near the end that I'm sure wasn't too difficult but my brain just shut off and I had to do a 50/50 guess.
Last edited by well-hello-there on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm

idk what yuo people are talking about. this was definitely a -15 curve. the october test was a cinch and that was -12. this test had 102 questions for god's sake. plus the logic games were out of order re: difficulty? are you kidding me? and the games themselves were hard. granted it was only 23 question, but i know someone with a 170 in october who had to random guess on 6. LR was average really, but there were still 3 or 4 serious questions. I guarantee -15.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:56 pm

funny, this is someone who said october was easy and december was easy, but had to retake october. doesn't add up.

ren2011

Postby ren2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:57 pm

testmachine45 wrote:idk what yuo people are talking about. this was definitely a -15 curve. the october test was a cinch and that was -12. this test had 102 questions for god's sake. plus the logic games were out of order re: difficulty? are you kidding me? and the games themselves were hard. granted it was only 23 question, but i know someone with a 170 in october who had to random guess on 6. LR was average really, but there were still 3 or 4 serious questions. I guarantee -15.

Awesome, we'll all hold you to that guarantee :)

No really, I'd realistically expect -13 or -12, oh well.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:00 pm

testmachine45 wrote:

funny, this is someone who said october was easy and december was easy, but had to retake october. doesn't add up.

I never said october was easy. I said it was hard.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”