No Sleep = Bane of My Existence

No Sleep = Bane of My Existence

Postby guinness » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:46 pm

I did everything right in my prep. Saw my score raise from a diagnostic of 160 to 167, and really improved in all sections.

I did everything to simulate real conditions with experimental, strict time limits, same snacks / timing etc. What I did NOT account for was the lack of sleep I would have on the real thing.

I had readjusted my sleep schedule, tried all the usual tricks, took natural sleeping medications, and went to bed early. I still ended up with a pitiful 3 hours of sleep (being generous).

I know this had a really detrimental effect on my performance. Yeah the games sucked, but I should have blown LR to pieces and I really left a few points on the table with the last LR section.

My question is:

- Since June is at 12:30 (fully expecting a retake) do I need to try to prepare for a no sleep situation? How would I do this?

- I felt like I scored in the 150's after the test. Then again, after every single PT I took I exceeded my expectations. I felt the same exact way on my last PT (61) and ended up scoring my highest ever. Is this typical? Is it just more common to focus on the ones you got wrong? I'm not cancelling, but I really have 0 idea how I did...

Re: No Sleep = Bane of My Existence

Postby confusedlawyer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 pm

I had a sleep problem for October and December, with 4 and 5 hours of sleep respectively. It affected me more in October because I decided to go without caffiene, this time I had half a tea, which added to my anxiety quite a bit but negated the sleepiness. June was a lot easier, it will help most definately. I also write exams at my best in the afternoon. You should be okay.

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 pm

It sort of depends on whether your problem was getting to sleep or staying asleep.

For me, I have a lot of trouble adjusting my sleep schedule. I had to use prescription sleepers to get the ball rolling several days ahead of time. The hangover from these is dangerous: it's weak enough that you might not perceive it, but if you test your cognitive abilities you'll see a difference. Thus, taking sleepers night before test day is probably inadvisable. But is it worse than no sleep? Depends on what else you have access to. The drive + 8:30 start time this test screwed me massively because my morning routine involves hitting the gym for a half hour to wake up (my gym doesn't open until 7 on Sat).

I think your feelings are typical. Everyone thinks they did badly. I wish I'd kicked ass on PT61.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:07 pm

You should try and completely exhaust yourself on the day before your next test. Make it so that your body no choice but to rest.

Postby postn0bills » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:14 pm

I have the same exact issue, same PT range. Just can't think quickly enough on very little sleep.

Two hours of sleep for October, so I canceled. Four hours of very interrupted sleep for December, but probably keeping the score and trying to apply anyway. If I retake in June, I'm definitely seeking out prescription sleeping pills. Test anxiety is a vicious b*tch.

Next time I'm also going to try what another poster suggested: wearing my body out so I have no choice but to sleep. Maybe go on a long run, etc.

Postby fosterp » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:24 pm

I actually tried to get into a routine about a week and ahalf before but I swear I am just not a morning person and even when I got seven to eight hours I still felt tired all the time, not thinking very well, etc, so on friday i just said fuck it and slept in till like 10-11 and just relaxed all day, went to the gym for a little bit, and went to sleep at like 11. I didn't sleep very well probably cause I was thinking too much about the test, but I woke up feeling fine, didn't need any caffeine and I don't think sleep negatively affected me at all for the test. I can probably attribute it to getting a good amount the day before, but maybe it was just adrenaline from the test that kept me going.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”