LSAT studying schedule, please help!

kbucklsat

LSAT studying schedule, please help!

Postby kbucklsat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 am

I am interested in taking a full-length Powerscore or Testmasters class before taking the LSAT (any suggestions on which one I should chose? Both are in my area...)

I want to take the class April - June so I have the entire summer to continue to prepare for the Oct. 1 LSAT class. I don't like that the classes for the Oct 1 LSAT only give you one week before taking the test, however, having a few extra months before the next LSAT I want to make sure I am preparing and continuing to improve and not forget what the classes taught me.

I am planning on using the 10 LSATs books to prepare and taking all 30 or so tests.

Any suggestions on a study schedule after I take the course? Any books I should look at on top of Testmaster and Powerscore's materials?

I am taking time off to solely prepare for the LSAT. I found the thread on what people did to prepare (who got over 160s) helpful but many didn't take a full-length course. I would really like to take the course and feel it will benefit me most.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tourdeforcex

Re: LSAT studying schedule, please help!

Postby tourdeforcex » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm

PS vs TM. i took TM last summer, i took the early summer course giving me all of september to prep on my own for october 2010. i can't say anything about TM relative to PS, but overall, i had a good experience w/ TM. my teacher was really good--very productive, on task, really smart too, and could explain most of what his thought processes were and approaches. and it wasn't like it was just robin singh talking, my teacher put in personal thoughts too. basically their system is credited (you only work w/ real LSAT questions), the rest is basically the same as PS and kaplan and if it's different it's only b/c one method is trademarked.

it's good you have the entire summer to prepare but don't burn out.

buy the 10 LSAT books, if you'd like--it might not be necessary b/c if you do all the homework, classwork, and supplemental material TM gives you, you have literally all the questions ever since the new format began. which leads me to the one major qualm i had w/ TM. i wished that i didn't do so much homework and supplemental material and instead had more fresh PTs to work on.

which leads to another piece of advice: make sure you do recent PTs. this is something that is important especially compared to doing the 10 real LSAT books b/c the test has evolved since then, there are explicit and obvious changes but also subtle differences. it's also more difficult to score higher now.

holla.

kbucklsat

Postby kbucklsat » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:39 pm

thanks!

did you feel as though you could have taken the test after finishing the TM class or do you think that extra month to prepare really helped you?

unfortunately where i want to take the class does not offer the early summer course.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:36 pm

mm i definitely was more prepared after the extra month.

to be honest, that's when you improve the most b/c you have all the suggested tactics and strategies and now you need to apply them in your own way and w/ perfect or near perfect timing.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:43 pm

I agree with tourdeforcex re: the extra month

Sometimes people fall behind with the homework during a prep course.

For this reason, and the fact that sometimes people need more time to let things digest, I'm of the opinion that it's good to give yourself plenty of time after the course to review things more thoroughly on your own before taking the exam itself.

However, this is dependent upon the idea that you'll be motivated/have time to study more after the course ends. If you're motivated and have the time, it's very worthwhile to give yourself more time afterward, but it really depends on you/your personality/your schedule and other obligations.

The major courses all give you access to every LSAT PrepTest, so you won't need to buy those. For a very concise book that covers some LR-related stuff, I like A Rulebook for Arguments by Weston.

Basically, spend that extra month on full-length practice tests and timed sections, catch-up and reviewing weak areas.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”