Grounds for testing center complaint?

niederbomb

Grounds for testing center complaint?

Postby niederbomb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:17 am

I took the LSAT in Beijing, and they moved the building at the last moment to a multimedia room. We had to sit at tiny cubicle desks surrounded by walls on three sides with bulky roundish control boxes protruding up in the middle of each desk. In other words, we had no flat writing service to do the games on. I think I even punched a hole or two in my answer sheet by mistake, which could affect the scoring.

Will LSAC buy this?

joebloe

Re: Grounds for testing center complaint?

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 am

If you think you accidentally damaged your answer sheet due to the testing center conditions, definitely report it. I would hope they'd give you a free hand-score.

As to complaints in general, I don't know much, but there was some other thread around here where a guy posted LSAC's response for a situation where there was loud construction noise or some such. They basically gave him two options: cancel and retake for free (cancel still gets reported as a cancel), or report and LSAC would put a letter in the file noting that there were especially adverse circumstances (not sure what the letter would look like).

niederbomb

Problems in Beijing: Grounds for testing center complaint?

Postby niederbomb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:33 am

Given how I struggled on that LG section, I would definitely take the cancel and retake for free. I think including the LSAC letter in my addendum would answer any questions anyone might have.

Not having a flat writing surface is pretty significant, isn't it?

By the way, how would they go about verifying this? My LSAC admissions ticket still has the old location on it; apparently, they never told LSAC when they changed the location the day prior. However, I know a guy who already complained about it by email before the test.

If anyone else took the LSAT in Beijing and knows what I'm talking about, please PM me. I think it's better if more than one person does it.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 am

Here's the post I mentioned above:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=3715212

smdewart wrote:Actually, I'd say you could have a convincing case. In 2008, I took the exam at Loyola in Chicago (Lakeshore campus). Midway through the first section, a construction crew began jackhammering right outside the classroom. EVERYONE went ballistic (in a mostly silent sort of way). Even worse than being a constant sound, they'd stop... then start... then stop... etc. People finally looked around and asked if we could switch rooms, but due to LSAC rules, we couldn't move until, I believe, between the second and third sessions.

Following my encounter I wrote a very thoughtful and logical (ha ha) letter to LSAC -- not complaining (don't want to do that!) but explaining in no uncertain terms that I felt that, with the money I paid to LSAC, LSAC would have done their necessary diligence to ensure as proper a testing environment as possible. Here's their response to me (I stored it on my HD):

Code: Select all

The test site supervisor has reported the need to move examinees from two different rooms due to construction
noise. At the end of Section two, both rooms were moved and the exam progressed without incident.

LSAC conducted a review of the circumstances surrounding your test administration. Although there was no
evidence that the noise or the move between Sections two and three affected the performance of test takers in your
testing room, as a group, LSAC offers you the options in the paragraphs below.

Because of your expressed concern, we have placed a temporary hold on the release of your score to allow you
extra time to consider the cancellation or release of your score. If you felt, for any reason, that your performance
on the test was adversely affected you can request score cancellation. Please note, if you request cancellation,
your records will show "No Reportable Score, Candidate Action" and that indication will remain on your
LSAT record. If you choose to release your score, it will become a permanent part of your record and cannot be
cancelled at your request for any reason. LSAC makes no exceptions, under any circumstance, to the policies of
reporting or cancelling scores.

Should you decide to cancel the score, LSAC will register you for the December 2008 LSAT at no additional
charge to you. You must record your response on page two of this letter, and it must be received by LSAC no
later than 3 weeks from the date of this letter or your score will automatically be released and any and all options
will be rescinded. It is your responsibility to ensure your response is received by LSAC before the deadline.
Responses via email will not be accepted.

Should you choose, LSAC can include a letter in your file to inform the law school(s) to which you apply of the
circumstances under which you took the test and your concern of their effect on your score. Please indicate, on
page two, if you wish LSAC’s letter to be provided.

My take on it is that the more people who complain the better, especially if the testing center personnel are at fault in some way since the chances of it degenerating into a "he-said-she-said" situation go way up. Also, if you can get to the center and take snaps of the room where you actually tested, and include those with your complaint, I don't think it can hurt. After all, the people reviewing the situation are probably going to be in the US.

Also, if you haven't heard it yet: 塞翁失马. I know it sometimes gets used just to express condolences, but I think the lesson of the actual idiom is poignant and quite applicable to the general situation. The LSAT is just one link in a chain of events that makes up your legal career and your life in general. While extremes can strongly affect your probabilities of good or bad long-term outcomes, it seems extraordinarily unlikely that you will be permanently screwed because of the LSAT alone.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:40 pm

If anything it sounds like that atmosphere would breed cheating, so LSAC would probably be very interested.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”