How bad is 1 Absence + 1 Cancel?

niederbomb

How bad is 1 Absence + 1 Cancel?

Postby niederbomb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:59 am

I have an absence from June, which was due to the fact that I had other (sudden) obligations and could not meet the 3-week cancellation deadline. I also have a 162 from October (overseas test), which was from a nerves-related meltdown on LG. I felt fine this time but still bombed LG.

How bad is 1 of each "cancel" + "absence"?

I think I did even worse on LG this time, but LR was a lock (-1 or -2 total), and I'm pretty confident about RC (- the last passage) as well. I did hundreds of game multiple times, and I thought I had seen improvement, but it didn't show on test day.

I'm seriously considering a cancel, but I would happily take a 166, if that's possible, so I'm torn.

Say, I went -11 on LG, -3 RC, and -2 LR, what is the possibility of 166/165 with this curve?

My target schools are now exclusively in Canada.

I've done everything I can think of to improve LG (which is supposedly the most improvable section), but I don't see myself getting much better, ever. So I would take mid 160's and call it a day if it's even a possibility.

joebloe

Re: How bad is 1 Absence + 1 Cancel?

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 am

People are saying at least -14 curve. If your numbers are accurate, that ought to put you in the mid-upper 160s. Even a -10 curve ought to put you in the mid-160s if your numbers are accurate.

zetsui

Postby zetsui » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:03 am

So I'm failing to understand the consequences here.
What if you took the test twice
1: Absence
2: Cancel
With the intention of taking it a third time. What are the consequence for 1 and 2? I heard a cancellation is a really bad thing, but I never understood why. If anything wouldn't the vast majority of law schools take your highest score?

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:12 am

Alright, worst case scenario is -4 LR, -4 RC, and -12 LG. That's a -20, which would be 164 on October's scale or 165 on last December's.

Best case scenario is -2 LR, -2 RC, and -8 LG, which would be over 170 on both.

Alright, pretty sure I got 10/11 on the first two games. Then, I made two "educated guesses" on the third game. Maybe I missed another 1 I'm not aware of. So we're at 12/16. Then, I got 2 for sure on the last game, 1 educated guess, and 4 blind guesses. So that should be about 14 or -9. Knock off 1 for good measure= -10.

Alright, RC breezed through three passages, maybe missed a maximum of 1. Then, the last passage I was unsure of at least 2 but still kind of had some direction on 1. Let's say -3 RC. Throw in 1 more=-4.

LR, I was not 100% sure about maybe 3. Only 1 was incredibly iffy. If my recent PT performance on similar LR sections is any indication, let's say -3 LR. Add 1 more=-4.

-10-4-4=-18, or 165/166 (PT 61) or 167 (PT 59).

I really don't know....

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 am

worst case scenario is a 164. Best case scenario is about 10 points higher? I say keep it

zetsui

Postby zetsui » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 pm

I was so glad to see your name northwood
Then you just ignored my post :lol:
BUMP

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:28 pm

zetsi: an absence doesnt count towards the limit of 3 lsats in 2 years. If you go absent then cancel- you need to keep the third score, regardless. If you are unhappy with it, then re take.

People tend to overreact to their performance, especially after being on TLS after the exam. How did you feel you did on each section compared to your pt average? Do you think you did around the same ( and how many guesses on LG did you have- seems lg is the thorn section on this test)? If you think you performed somewhere along your pt averages, i would keep the score.

I didnt really understand your question at first, but if its like this, then hope this helps.

Generally you want one absence or cancel. They both have an underlying implication that you werent prepared. Until they read the addendum ( you should write one if you have even one of those) theres a wide variety of reasons for it. In your addendum be concisise and just give the facts.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”