The "Day After" Phenomenon

dchangd

The "Day After" Phenomenon

Postby dchangd » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:37 am

Anyone else feeling an emotional letdown now that the test is over with? All the studying, practicing, reading and obsessing over the LSAT is gone. It feels like there's a void now. For the first Sunday in two months, I have nothing to do.

I'm not saying you have to necessarily enjoy studying for the LSAT, but if you take it seriously, it does occupy a decent portion of your life for 2-6 months. And in the final few weeks, the LSAT becomes a top priority in your life. There were times at work where I would zone out for 10 minutes and think of all the questions I missed from a PT the night before. I neglected friends on weekends so I could squeeze in a few extra PT to see if I had improved any. I became obsessed with the challenge; obsessed with improving at something that only comes from dedication and practice.

It's like returning home from a week-long summer vacation and getting hit with that bummed out feeling that immediately proceeds a return to normal life. That thing you had looked forward to for so long is now over with. It's kind of a drag.

ocplaytime

Re: The "Day After" Phenomenon

Postby ocplaytime » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:42 am

it's more like going on a 6 month vacaction to finally come home and your dog takes a shit on you as soon as you walk through the door

I have nothing to do tomorrow either...all I got left to do now is to finish up my PS and wrap this nightmare up

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 am

go watch fgootball all day

xmrmckenziex

Postby xmrmckenziex » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 am

Could be worse; I'm in the thick of finals and just now opened up a book from one of my classes. Needless to say, I put a made the LSAT a little bit more of a priority and now get to deal with the ramifications.

BlueFeathers

Postby BlueFeathers » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 am

I don't know about comparing it to a return from summer vacation. That bummed out feeling is wishing you were back on vacation.

But I get the feeling of not having anything to do. It's weird but I'm not bummed. It's more of a blah feeling. It's over and trying to stay positive and not get myself worked up over the test and those games.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:41 am

haha now you can bide your time obsessing about your score. once you get that, its applications. after that, waiting to hear decisions, and then researching schools.

theres always SOMETHING law school-related to obsess over haha

logicalprep

Postby logicalprep » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:35 am

dchangd wrote:Anyone else feeling an emotional letdown now that the test is over with? All the studying, practicing, reading and obsessing over the LSAT is gone. It feels like there's a void now. For the first Sunday in two months, I have nothing to do.

I'm not saying you have to necessarily enjoy studying for the LSAT, but if you take it seriously, it does occupy a decent portion of your life for 2-6 months. And in the final few weeks, the LSAT becomes a top priority in your life. There were times at work where I would zone out for 10 minutes and think of all the questions I missed from a PT the night before. I neglected friends on weekends so I could squeeze in a few extra PT to see if I had improved any. I became obsessed with the challenge; obsessed with improving at something that only comes from dedication and practice.

It's like returning home from a week-long summer vacation and getting hit with that bummed out feeling that immediately proceeds a return to normal life. That thing you had looked forward to for so long is now over with. It's kind of a drag.

I suppose there is always the mindless retake...

JustE

Postby JustE » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:17 am

You could always study for the next 60 days and re-take in Feb. I'm not taking any chances.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:13 am

almostfamous wrote:haha now you can bide your time obsessing about your score. once you get that, its applications. after that, waiting to hear decisions, and then researching schools.

theres always SOMETHING law school-related to obsess over haha

Yeah, and for me the "waiting to hear decisions" is by far the worst.

I want to go back to standardized tests.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 am

I feel a lot better about the test now, and have largely put it out of my mind. I don't feel let down or numb.

Though I'm getting worried now. Turns out my dad's car was stolen last night from the dude who was repairing it, and then apparently got involved in an accident. Temperature outside is going to get down to 20 below by me; bad news for my dog. I went to bed with achy legs, woke up with killer heartburn. Call me silly, but if slot machines have taught me anything, luck comes in waves, be it good or bad.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'll stick with my decision not to retake in Feb. Whether I'll even apply this cycle depends on where I scored, but best case scenario I feel like I'm looking at -8 to -12. I hate my fucking GPA.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:23 am

If it makes anyone feel better, I scored about 7 points higher than I thought I would.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 am

I feel the same way.

Didn't feel this way in October. Maybe because I'm 99% sure I'm not retaking...

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:52 am

i knew this feeling would come on friday...i said to my boyfriend..."i'm kind of sad it will be over. what am i going to do with myself?"

I already feel sad :( I'm now worried about my score. i thought i did well and i'm now unsure.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”