We can bitch all we want about the LG but...

ocplaytime

We can bitch all we want about the LG but...

Postby ocplaytime » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:51 am

what's it really going to mean? has lsac ever removed questions from an LG section? I've talked to too many 170+ pters who want to puke right now..makes me feel somewhat better but this still sucks ass. I retook a mid 160s from oct and kinda wishing I just applied in nov

akikaze

Re: We can bitch all we want about the LG but...

Postby akikaze » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:57 am

ocplaytime wrote:what's it really going to mean? has lsac ever removed questions from an LG section? I've talked to too many 170+ pters who want to puke right now..makes me feel somewhat better but this still sucks ass. I retook a mid 160s from oct and kinda wishing I just applied in nov

It's not what you wanted to hear, but I didn't find the LG that terrible. I thought LR had a number of very difficult questions -- the arthritis one and the marine dinos with fins I still have no idea about -- but overall not that different from the past. LG has had a recent trend of throwing out a number of scenarios for which you cannot make any inferences at first and instead have to do many, many hypotheticals. It's painfully time-consuming, and the only way to get through it is to brute force your way.

Blah. Prepping using PTs from the 40s is not helpful anymore.

P.S. Never has an LG been removed from scoring and I don't see any reason for that to happen this time around.

jwzp

Postby jwzp » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:54 am

Last edited by jwzp on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 am

I guess it goes both ways because I found marine dinos easy

and the games horrible

liltay357

Postby liltay357 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:20 am

Games=a joke. I needed 10 more minutes and I could have gotten thru them all. lol :P I started with the stained glass one because it looked pretty easy. I usually LOVE games and rarely get over 2 wrong in the section. At this point looking at the bright side that everyone else seemed to find them difficult. And just to clarify while a whole section has never been removed or a whole game, there is the possibility that a few questions can be removed from scoring. :D We shall see!

I dont remember specific questions from LR- felt it was pretty straightforward. Although I did have it as a experimental. Does anyone who had LR-RC-LR-LR-LG know which LR was experimental? I guess I feel best about the last two.

RC- Usually my most volatile section, I got 11 wrong in October :shock: but still managed to get where I was testing (162). At least this time I got thru all the questions and passages. This could oddly wind up saving me from the 6 I think I got wrong on games.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 am

jd20132013 wrote:I guess it goes both ways because I found marine dinos easy

and the games horrible

absolutely. everyone has their strengths. marine dinos was one of the easiest questions

pattonthicke

Postby pattonthicke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:29 am

liltay357 wrote:Does anyone who had LR-RC-LR-LR-LG know which LR was experimental? I guess I feel best about the last two.

I had this set- up as well and still have not figured it out. If one of your lr sections had 25 questions, then it was that one. If they all had 26 then who knows. There was some speculation in the initial reactions thread but im too lazy to go through all of that. I sure hope it was the 1st one though

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:24 am

well...havent all questions appeared on an experimental at some point? If so then I'm quite certain that they're not going to toss ANY questions out...perhaps the curve will just be higher (or lower depending on how you look at it)...meaning that we can miss more and still score relatively well.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:53 am

the curve has to be higher. Myself and many, many other will agree that this test was harder than Oct10. Whether that translates into -13/-14/-15 depending on how many questions they leave on out of 102 depends.

I'm also looking for a favorable curve not just to 170, but 165-170. I think as the curve gets more generous you see being able to miss a lot more for a 166 or 167 for example.

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:37 pm

I'm glad I'm done with this test and didn't retake yesterday.

It sounds from like what a lot are saying, this PT62 LG solving strategy is similar to PT61 in that it's not the difficulty of the games that's the issue, it's the fact that the testmakers are starting to ask more questions in which one must rely more on hyptheticals rather than some type of key inference or deduction. Take away valuable space on the page to draw said hypos and it gets even worse. Also, there doesn't seem to be a "gimmie" game that you can do in under 4-5 minutes and get a jump start on the other 3.

If the test is out of 102 questions like some of you have said, you might be looking at a -14/-15 curve. Otherwise, -13/-14 seems more likely.

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:40 pm

LG was tough no doubt about it. I missed anywhere from -2 to -6 which is off my average either way. LR was trickier than people think, I think some will have a rude awakening when the results come back. RC was great for me, considering I bomb most of the time. No idea what I got.

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:I'm glad I'm done with this test and didn't retake yesterday.

It sounds from like what a lot are saying, this PT62 LG solving strategy is similar to PT61 in that it's not the difficulty of the games that's the issue, it's the fact that the testmakers are starting to ask more questions in which one must rely more on hyptheticals rather than some type of key inference or deduction. Take away valuable space on the page to draw said hypos and it gets even worse. Also, there doesn't seem to be a "gimmie" game that you can do in under 4-5 minutes and get a jump start on the other 3.

If the test is out of 102 questions like some of you have said, you might be looking at a -14/-15 curve. Otherwise, -13/-14 seems more likely.

Very true, the first game was easy but tricky and time consuming. Game 2 was crazy, Game 3 was crazy but not as much, Game 4 was easy, reminded me of the pt 40's. Safe to say if someone went in order they messed up big time, I did 1 - 4 - 3 - 2.

jwzp

Postby jwzp » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Last edited by jwzp on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:48 pm

They only get rid of questions if there are ambiguities that make two or more options justifiable as the "best" answer.

That will NEVER happen in LG, as they are inherently limited to one possible answer, even if the questions are tough to get to.

legal10101

Postby legal10101 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Honestly, I think it has much to do with the sequencing of the test. I had two RC sections last time and LG was my last section. My brain was so fried by then I bombed easy games. This time around, either I did so terrible and have no idea or I just felt rested enough that I was able to process the majority of them.

At this point, it doesn't make a difference. Either i) cancel your score, or ii) pray for a generous curve!! Good luck.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:49 pm

2014 wrote:They only get rid of questions if there are ambiguities that make two or more options justifiable as the "best" answer.

That will NEVER happen in LG, as they are inherently limited to one possible answer, even if the questions are tough to get to.

Amen, Keep it at 102 and give us a -15 curve k thxbye

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:52 pm

everyone cried foul about the LR in october but the curve was only -12

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:58 pm

luckyme wrote:everyone cried foul about the LR in october but the curve was only -12

This LR wasnt noticeably harder/easier, I'd say RC was def harder, and LG a lot, lot, lot harder.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”