blew off writing sample

henry flower

blew off writing sample

Postby henry flower » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:47 am

I think I rocked the test (except for stained glass, where I got the main inference, but still had to make some educated guesses), but at the end I was feeling mentally exhausted and a little cocky. My writing sample topic was ridiculously mundane (summer childcare?) and I ended up writing the sample with a humorous tone. I also included quite a few background details that weren't given in the topic, to make it a little more "interesting."

I don't think it's terrible piece of writing considering the circumstances, but it probably was not exactly appropriate, and now I'm regretting my lighthearted approach. Do you guys think it'll hurt me?

iphone7

Re: blew off writing sample

Postby iphone7 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:52 am

Nope. The writing sample doesn't matter. If you fee like you did well then congrats!

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:54 am

Here's my checklist for determining how good my writing section is:

Wrote name on both sheets? Check.
Wrote topic code correctly? Check.
Wrote more than 10 words for the writing section? Check

So I'm good to go.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:56 am

As long as you didn't write anything offensive then you're probably be fine. I would wager that 95% of schools don't even look at them except to make sure you didn't just draw a huge penis over the entire sheet.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 am

St.Remy wrote:As long as you didn't write anything offensive then you're probably be fine. I would wager that 95% of schools don't even look at them except to make sure you didn't just draw a huge penis over the entire sheet.

Shiiitttttt...

you_were_driving

Postby you_were_driving » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 am

my understanding of the writing sample has always been that it wont help your application in any way, but if you just don't do it, make no sense, write illegibly, etc. it can certainly hurt your chances.

most schools probably don't look at it, but its really not hard to write a few semi-coherent paragraphs to satisfy any adcomms that feel the need to dig into your file beyond the numbers.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:46 am

Yeah, so long as you didn't write anything blatantly offensive you should be fine. Writing sample might have mattered more in the past when nobody did personal statements and legible handwriting was a requirement for any non-menial job. Adcomms have to say they look at it even if they don't; I could see an admission of completely ignoring any portion of someone's application materials grounds for a (probably frivolous) lawsuit.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Everyone had the same Little Wang topic btw, wasn't just you.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:55 pm

I was still bummed about stained glass, so having a topic that I knew something about provided comic relief. Are there bugs at this camp? What about carpooling? It was good to end the test on a high.

Now, here's my question. They give you a piece of scratch paper to write an essay. If this were a research paper then sure, you'd need a place for your notes, but for an off-the-top essay? I had so much time I just drew pictures on it after I filled the essay pages. On the other hand, I could have used that sucker for the LG. Why not just hand out one piece of paper at the beginning and collect it at the end? Allow people to use it as they see fit!

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:04 pm

My question about the essay was whether Little Wang would fit in at the 2nd camp. Most summer camps that fit the description of that one are extremely expensive and almost 100% Jewish (I've been a counselor before, not pulling this out of my ass) and would Little Wang really fit in?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:07 pm

Mine was 98 words in two paragraphs.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:07 pm

Probably does not matter, esp. if it is just a light hearted approach and not a complete blow-off/offensive.

But i have had some adcomms tell me that a few (not all) like to look at it and give it a good amount of weight (relative to the PS, not your #s lol) because, unlike the PS, the writing sample shows "true raw writing skill." Now im sure they are in the minority, but personally I would have taken it more seriously just because i see no reason as to why i should close any doors (even if it is just 1).

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:10 pm

please tell me someone put square ponds camp

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:10 pm

2014 wrote:My question about the essay was whether Little Wang would fit in at the 2nd camp. Most summer camps that fit the description of that one are extremely expensive and almost 100% Jewish (I've been a counselor before, not pulling this out of my ass) and would Little Wang really fit in?

My god, I was totally thinking this.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Mine was two paragraphs and I drew a bitchin T-Rex on the back, no joke.

Canadiana

Postby Canadiana » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 pm

WS was obv testing our ability to refrain from making penis jokes.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Well, it is interesting that the ethnicity of the family could be inferred from the name. Would you all have responded differently had the surname been Goldstein?

The prompt did say, as I recall, that both camps fit within the Wangs' finances. I personally hate the wilderness and wouldn't want to sit on a bus for an hour each day going to and from camp. I figured my response might make an admissions officer smile, which is never a bad thing. Not that I expect anyone will ever actually read it.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31 pm

verklempt wrote:[...] Would you all have responded differently had the surname been Goldstein? [...]

Responded differently? No. Thought differently? Yes.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 pm

joebloe wrote:
verklempt wrote:[...] Would you all have responded differently had the surname been Goldstein? [...]

Responded differently? No. Thought differently? Yes.

++

I sent Little Wang to Outdoors camp regardless of perceived cultural differences.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Was anyone else annoyed that they purposefully left it gender netural i.e. "their ten year old child"? when i was writing I was annoyed I had to stay mindful of pronouns, use the phrase "the child" a lot, and in any possessive sentence about the child write "its".

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:18 pm

St.Remy wrote:As long as you didn't write anything offensive then you're probably be fine. I would wager that 95% of schools don't even look at them except to make sure you didn't just draw a huge penis over the entire sheet.

well we did have to write a whole essay about WANGS

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 pm

you_were_driving wrote:my understanding of the writing sample has always been that it wont help your application in any way, but if you just don't do it, make no sense, write illegibly, etc. it can certainly hurt your chances.

most schools probably don't look at it, but its really not hard to write a few semi-coherent paragraphs to satisfy any adcomms that feel the need to dig into your file beyond the numbers.

How would you even know that? This site is so funny sometimes. Do you have experience or evidence where it have hurt someone? I spent no more than 10 minutes on it and substituted my GF's name for the LULZ when it came out on the pdf. My applications weren't hurt at all.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Flips88 wrote:Was anyone else annoyed that they purposefully left it gender netural i.e. "their ten year old child"? when i was writing I was annoyed I had to stay mindful of pronouns, use the phrase "the child" a lot, and in any possessive sentence about the child write "its".

As long as you weren't a dork who uses "xe" and "xer".

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:24 pm

joebloe wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Was anyone else annoyed that they purposefully left it gender netural i.e. "their ten year old child"? when i was writing I was annoyed I had to stay mindful of pronouns, use the phrase "the child" a lot, and in any possessive sentence about the child write "its".

As long as you weren't a dork who uses "xe" and "xer".

Bahahahaha. Admission denied. (If anyone even noticed.)

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
you_were_driving wrote:my understanding of the writing sample has always been that it wont help your application in any way, but if you just don't do it, make no sense, write illegibly, etc. it can certainly hurt your chances.

How would you even know that? This site is so funny sometimes. Do you have experience or evidence where it have hurt someone? I spent no more than 10 minutes on it and substituted my GF's name for the LULZ when it came out on the pdf. My applications weren't hurt at all.

How nice to know you're willing to take that kind of risk based on word of mouth. All I'm saying is it's 35 minutes, a pencil, and some paper. It's not something to fret over, but why shouldn't you take it seriously? It's like assuming the kids on the playground are right about a rattlesnake actually being dead, and then playing with it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”