Prep Test Review

*Ari*

Prep Test Review

Postby *Ari* » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:36 am

Hi,

I have been going over all of my prep tests, but have been finding that it takes me a ridiculous amount of time. Probably close to 6-7 hours to go over a full test. What is your exact routine for reviewing your practice tests?

Do you go over every single question / answer? Including the ones you answered correctly and deconstruct each and every answer choice.

I have been trying to take roughly 2-3 tests per week, but it's an INCREDIBLE amount of time.

Thanks!

Re: Prep Test Review

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:57 am

I've seen a number of people swear by that, but I never did. I do go through every one I got wrong and focus on why the right answer is right, and why my answer and any other tempting one is wrong. Anything above that to me was a lot of time invested for diminished returns.

Also, not the best day to be asking prep questions for obvious reasons :P

*Ari*

Postby *Ari* » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks 2014. Did you try it both ways and decide one showed more gain on the PT's?

Bump. Anyone else wanna post what they do also?

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 pm

I honestly never went and analyzed my correct answers unless I knew for a fact that I had trouble with the problem. Certainly if you are down to two answers and have to go down to gut instinct to choose one, go back and analyze it even if you guessed correctly, but I never did so for questions that I got right and the answer was obvious.

Also a big part of this depends on where you are testing and how many you are missing. How many do you miss on a normal LR section and where are your PT scores falling?

ack

Postby ack » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Most LR answers are obvious to me. It would be a complete waste of time for me to go over them. On the ones where I had difficulty, I put a mark by the question. After the test, I would go over the ones I got wrong, and the ones I had marked as difficult.

Early in my studying I also went over every logic game I did to see if I made every inference possible, if I diagrammed it the best way possible, and if there was anything I could have done to finish the game more quickly and efficiently. This helped me to get from finishing 3 games in 35 minutes, to being able to do 3 games and diagram the 4th games and maybe do a question or two. After that I used LGB to get some new methods and practice to be able to finish all questions of all 4 games.

I never mastered RC so I'm not going to give any advice in regards to that.

*Ari*

Postby *Ari* » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:11 pm

2014 wrote:I honestly never went and analyzed my correct answers unless I knew for a fact that I had trouble with the problem. Certainly if you are down to two answers and have to go down to gut instinct to choose one, go back and analyze it even if you guessed correctly, but I never did so for questions that I got right and the answer was obvious.

Also a big part of this depends on where you are testing and how many you are missing. How many do you miss on a normal LR section and where are your PT scores falling?

I wasn't using a watch prior and was using PowerScore Virtual Proctor on the computer to time myself and see the countdown on the computer clock itself. I was averaging 155-158 on PT's. I decided if I could grab a 158 on the Friday test that I would take the test on Saturday. I, of course tried to replicate testing conditions as closely as possible and realized that either the stress of this being the 'deciding exam' or the watch threw a huge fucking cork in my plan. My scores DROPPED downwards to a 147 overall, my worse test since my original diagnostic.

I'm hoping it was just a case of bad luck. A part of me 'fears' I have lost my LR ability, but this seems an ill placed belief.

Thus far, I have been going through every answer in DETAIL.

*Ari*

Postby *Ari* » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:12 pm

ack wrote:Most LR answers are obvious to me. It would be a complete waste of time for me to go over them. On the ones where I had difficulty, I put a mark by the question. After the test, I would go over the ones I got wrong, and the ones I had marked as difficult.

Early in my studying I also went over every logic game I did to see if I made every inference possible, if I diagrammed it the best way possible, and if there was anything I could have done to finish the game more quickly and efficiently. This helped me to get from finishing 3 games in 35 minutes, to being able to do 3 games and diagram the 4th games and maybe do a question or two. After that I used LGB to get some new methods and practice to be able to finish all questions of all 4 games.

I never mastered RC so I'm not going to give any advice in regards to that.

I also do this with LG, at least with the initial diagram and not individual questions, only those I got wrong. I just ordered Atlas for LG and RC to try and improve upon those two areas, as they're definitely my weakest by far.

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:09 pm

*Ari* wrote:
2014 wrote:I honestly never went and analyzed my correct answers unless I knew for a fact that I had trouble with the problem. Certainly if you are down to two answers and have to go down to gut instinct to choose one, go back and analyze it even if you guessed correctly, but I never did so for questions that I got right and the answer was obvious.

I wasn't using a watch prior and was using PowerScore Virtual Proctor on the computer to time myself and see the countdown on the computer clock itself. I was averaging 155-158 on PT's. I decided if I could grab a 158 on the Friday test that I would take the test on Saturday. I, of course tried to replicate testing conditions as closely as possible and realized that either the stress of this being the 'deciding exam' or the watch threw a huge fucking cork in my plan. My scores DROPPED downwards to a 147 overall, my worse test since my original diagnostic.

I'm hoping it was just a case of bad luck. A part of me 'fears' I have lost my LR ability, but this seems an ill placed belief.

Thus far, I have been going through every answer in DETAIL.

I am going to change my advice then and suggest that maybe it is worth it to go over every problem. You are missing enough on LR that you still could stand to master the fundamental concepts, and going over every question will help you do that. Once you start to get to the point where you are missing less than 5 per LR section and you can confidently say that you understand every question type and are getting the majority right, then I would move on to only reviewing your mistakes. I know it is time consuming, but if you want your scores to improve, time is necessary.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”