Anyone ever file a complaint with LSAC & have nothing happen

URMdan

Anyone ever file a complaint with LSAC & have nothing happen

Postby URMdan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:35 pm

I am thinking about filing a complaint with LSAC on Monday regarding the testing conditions. During the test, you could hear from my room, which is right next to the women's bathroom, somebody puking and coughing for a good 5-7 minutes. That totally threw off my flow, and I am concerned that LSAC won't consider this grounds to grant me a retake. Does anybody have any experience filing a complaint and getting it rejected?

YCrevolution

Re: Anyone ever file a complaint with LSAC & have nothing happen

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:38 pm

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:40 pm

I know, it happened to me last February during snowmagedan. Worst conditions ever.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:24 pm

My proctors talked during the first 5-7 minutes of a section. That was annoying.

smdewart

Postby smdewart » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Actually, I'd say you could have a convincing case. In 2008, I took the exam at Loyola in Chicago (Lakeshore campus). Midway through the first section, a construction crew began jackhammering right outside the classroom. EVERYONE went ballistic (in a mostly silent sort of way). Even worse than being a constant sound, they'd stop... then start... then stop... etc. People finally looked around and asked if we could switch rooms, but due to LSAC rules, we couldn't move until, I believe, between the second and third sessions.

Following my encounter I wrote a very thoughtful and logical (ha ha) letter to LSAC -- not complaining (don't want to do that!) but explaining in no uncertain terms that I felt that, with the money I paid to LSAC, LSAC would have done their necessary diligence to ensure as proper a testing environment as possible. Here's their response to me (I stored it on my HD):

Code: Select all

The test site supervisor has reported the need to move examinees from two different rooms due to construction
noise. At the end of Section two, both rooms were moved and the exam progressed without incident.

LSAC conducted a review of the circumstances surrounding your test administration. Although there was no
evidence that the noise or the move between Sections two and three affected the performance of test takers in your
testing room, as a group, LSAC offers you the options in the paragraphs below.

Because of your expressed concern, we have placed a temporary hold on the release of your score to allow you
extra time to consider the cancellation or release of your score. If you felt, for any reason, that your performance
on the test was adversely affected you can request score cancellation. Please note, if you request cancellation,
your records will show "No Reportable Score, Candidate Action" and that indication will remain on your
LSAT record. If you choose to release your score, it will become a permanent part of your record and cannot be
cancelled at your request for any reason. LSAC makes no exceptions, under any circumstance, to the policies of
reporting or cancelling scores.

Should you decide to cancel the score, LSAC will register you for the December 2008 LSAT at no additional
charge to you. You must record your response on page two of this letter, and it must be received by LSAC no
later than 3 weeks from the date of this letter or your score will automatically be released and any and all options
will be rescinded. It is your responsibility to ensure your response is received by LSAC before the deadline.
Responses via email will not be accepted.

Should you choose, LSAC can include a letter in your file to inform the law school(s) to which you apply of the
circumstances under which you took the test and your concern of their effect on your score. Please indicate, on
page two, if you wish LSAC’s letter to be provided.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”