Cancelling the LSAT

futurej.d.

Re: Cancelling the December LSAT

Postby futurej.d. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:04 am

almostthereee wrote:I cancelled. Is there a way to see what score I could've gotten?

If you can remember the answers that you put down for each question, then you can compare those to the credited response and convert it using the scale, lol.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 am

lol... I know for section 5 I answered the first 20 questions D. Guess that's enough to put me in a ballpark :lol: I literally haven't visited TLS since that horrible day... a day that will live in infamy.

futurej.d.

Postby futurej.d. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:09 am

almostthereee wrote:lol... I know for section 5 I answered the first 20 questions D. Guess that's enough to put me in a ballpark :lol: I literally haven't visited TLS since that horrible day... a day that will live in infamy.

It's okay, I wish I cancelled but at least we can both say we survived the December 2010 LSAT. Here's to a re-write... :(

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:12 am

futurej.d. wrote:
almostthereee wrote:lol... I know for section 5 I answered the first 20 questions D. Guess that's enough to put me in a ballpark :lol: I literally haven't visited TLS since that horrible day... a day that will live in infamy.

It's okay, I wish I cancelled but at least we can both say we survived the December 2010 LSAT. Here's to a re-write... :(

Here's to a June retake, if I can somehow stomach studying for this son of a b*tch again. The thought of it literally makes me want to jump off a roof. Though I cancelled, this past month of LSAT-free life has been bliss.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:05 am

bumping this for the february test. Feb testers, read these comments, and if they are similar to your own feelings, see how the posters felt, and compare it to their actual results. Dont panic, You all have studied hard, and will be just fine on saturday!

northwood

Re: Cancelling the LSAT

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:49 pm

in honor of pinkcamelia and her wise advice, i have bumped this thread from the december. if you are wondering about if you should cancel the test or keep it, i would recommend reading through the thread- and if you still dont know ask away. ill try to get back to you as soon as i can ( usually within the same day as your post)

best of luck!

greyblob

Postby greyblob » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks Northwood (aka Lassie)!! :)

Okay. I am in need of some sage advice. Here's a little background:
After a few months of studying, I took the October LSAT. I bombed it. Horrible testing conditions aside, I didn't even get to the last logic game, finished the RC section shy of 4 questions, and when I finally emerged from the testing site, I could not remember a single question from the LR sections. Hoping that I would score in my PT range (high 160s), I kept it. Not surprisingly, I scored a few points above my diagnostic score.

Burnt out and depressed, I skipped the December test and gave up on applying for this admissions cycle. Instead, I took the February test this past weekend and am disappointed. I started studying a month before, and was scoring between (167-173). On test day, however, I found the LR sections extremely challenging (which was a surprise because I was pretty consistent with LR in my prep). I don't know if it was the nerves or my stupidity, but I was really struggling through them! For one section, I finished all but one question. Luckily for me, the one LR section that I bombed was the experimental. I managed to pull myself together in time for the third LR section, finishing before time was called. I also finished the RC before time was called, and I also finished the LG section before time was called (although I guessed on one question).

The thing is, I am prone to mistakes when I rush. I'm not sure whether I was rushing or if it was the adrenaline. Do you think I should cancel?
Last edited by greyblob on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm

greyblob wrote:Thanks Northwood (aka Lassie)!! :)

After a few months of studying, I took the October LSAT. I bombed it. Horrible testing conditions aside, I didn't even get to the last logic game, finished the RC section shy of 4 questions, and when I finally emerged from the testing site, I could not remember a single question from the LR sections. Hoping that I would score in my PT range (high 160s), I kept it. Not surprisingly, I scored a few points above my diagnostic score.

Burnt out and depressed, I skipped the December test and gave up on applying for this admissions cycle. Instead, I took the February test this past weekend and am disappointed. I started studying a month before, and was scoring between (167-173). On test day, however, I found the LR sections extremely challenging (which was a surprise because I was pretty consistent with LR in my prep). I don't know if it was the nerves or my stupidity, but I was really struggling through them! For one section, I didn't finish one question. Luckily for me, the one LR section that I bombed was the experimental. I managed to pull myself together in time for the third LR section, finishing before time was called. I also finished the RC before time was called, and I also finished the LG section before time was called (although I guessed on one question).

The thing is, I am prone to mistakes when I rush. I'm not sure whether I was rushing or if it was the adrenaline. Do you think I should cancel?

did you type that right? one LR sectgion you didnt even answer one question?( i bolded it). if thats true- then cancel. you dont know for sure if it was experimental or not. Since you have one bad score- i would cancel this one. You need to buckle down and figure out how and why you are getting flustered on the test.( unlike the other tests, you cant see where yhou messed up on this one). Im assuming your first test was in the 150s or around 160. With that score, you are allready law school eligible ( but not good schools since its below your pt average). You have one more test to sit for. buckle down for june, rock the test, and spend the summer visiting schools and getting your application ready ( use this semester to get your LORS). hope this helps, best of luck.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:43 pm

northwood wrote:

Burnt out and depressed, I skipped the December test and gave up on applying for this admissions cycle. Instead, I took the February test this past weekend and am disappointed. I started studying a month before, and was scoring between (167-173). On test day, however, I found the LR sections extremely challenging (which was a surprise because I was pretty consistent with LR in my prep). I don't know if it was the nerves or my stupidity, but I was really struggling through them! For one section, I didn't finish one question. Luckily for me, the one LR section that I bombed was the experimental. I managed to pull myself together in time for the third LR section, finishing before time was called. I also finished the RC before time was called, and I also finished the LG section before time was called (although I guessed on one question).

did you type that right? one LR sectgion you didnt even answer one question?( i bolded it). if thats true- then cancel. you dont know for sure if it was experimental or not. Since you have one bad score- i would cancel this one. You need to buckle down and figure out how and why you are getting flustered on the test.( unlike the other tests, you cant see where yhou messed up on this one). Im assuming your first test was in the 150s or around 160. With that score, you are allready law school eligible ( but not good schools since its below your pt average). You have one more test to sit for. buckle down for june, rock the test, and spend the summer visiting schools and getting your application ready ( use this semester to get your LORS). hope this helps, best of luck.

I think GB means that for one section, they were able to finish all but one question.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
northwood wrote:

I think GB means that for one section, they were able to finish all but one question.

with taht being said- i dont know. I am more inclined to keep the score, as your first one was at your diagnostic, so if this one is better, your are ahead of the game. Check to see if schools average multiple lsat scores, or just take the highest one. if they dont average, then keep the score, and prep for june. regardless if you keep it or not, you need to figure out exactly what is causing you to lose your nerve, and conquor that.

greyblob

Postby greyblob » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Yes, I meant that I finished the entire LR section except for one question. lol...
In any case, thanks for the advice.

greyblob

Postby greyblob » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 am

Anymore opinions? I'm leaning toward cancelling, but still unsure.

cmob

Postby cmob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 am

greyblob wrote:Anymore opinions? I'm leaning toward cancelling, but still unsure.

Hi, my situation is somewhat similar to yours; I took the LSAT in October and, after getting what I consider to be a terribly below-average score for myself (164), I skipped the December test and any reasonable chance of applying on this cycle. After taking the test in Feb, I felt extremely confident about my performance and expect anywhere in the 169-174 range. However, there was really no way to know your gut feeling when you factor in your nerves, pt scores, second guessing yourself, etc...

But, after thinking back on what separated a good PT test from a horrible one, the differentiating factor seemed to be how you came to the right answer; let me try to explain. On my 164 test, I messed up the RC section (-11). I remember when going through those sections I would read the question, skim through the answers until I found an "ok i guess this works" answer, and move on. When I took it in Feb, I knew what the answer was going to say before I even read the choices. Same goes for LR, which I never had a problem with (I knew what the answer was before I went through A-E). LG is a roll of the dice b/c you just have to trust your thinking/graphing process.

This sounds like a painfully obvious concept, but if you can think back to how many "i guess this works" answers, it may help you ignore the adrenaline factor and give you a good idea if your thinking was correct or if you were just rushing. If you base this off of just how nervous you were, you might regret cancelling for a very long time if a generous curve shows up or you have a change of heart.

Hope this counts as a semi-helpful first post.

ED: it's Thursday so I don't even know if its too late to cancel at this point.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 am

I bombed October, thought I did much, much worse in December, maybe in the high 150's. I didn't cancel because I gave up on law school. I ended up 9 points higher with that nice little 7 in the 10's column.

Your gut often incorrect. Besides, aside from Columbia, NYU and HYS, all law schools take your highest. So, unless you think you have a shot at one of those schools, why cancel?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”