Cancelling the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
URMdan

Bronze

Re: Cancelling the December LSAT

Post by URMdan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Rawlberto wrote:This is my second test as I was a no show for the first. Believe I did worse than my pt average. Would canceling be ok?
Only you would know pal

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:24 pm

I mean would a No Show then Cancel look worse than No Show with a low 160. Aiming for t14 of course.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:25 pm

how much lower than your pt average? people normally do perform lower than their averages ( around 3 points). if you are within that range, then keep it. its your call.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:26 pm

I think it would. It could give the impression that you are trying to game the test by signing up, prepping and missing it= then taking a dry run at the test to get gameday experience then going for it.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:28 pm

I am usually at 168, this feels like a low 160 with a POSSIBLE 150.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:30 pm

cancel then. If you think you did 8 points lower than that... cancel. and take it and apply next cycle.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:34 pm

I will never forgive the LSAC for this.

This was my last chance at the LSAT for this cycle (took in 9/09 154 - took cold, 10/10 154 - got sick two days before the test and miss bubbled my LG and missed 12 in a row, and today where I guessed 50/50'd on 6 and 1/5'd 3 more on the LGs).

Is there any reasoning behind canceling my score for this test considering I've used all my eligibility for this cycle? I'm leaning toward just seeing how I guessed. I'd like to hear some different opinions.

FYI - My PT average over the last 15 PTs was a 165 (range of 162-169). I'm thinking best case for this test is a 162 with a generous curve.
Last edited by Moral_Midgetry on Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Cool, was certainly feeling that way. June it is!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:I will never forgive the LSAC for this.

This was my last chance at the LSAT for this cycle (took in 9/09 154 - took cold, 10/10 154 - got sick two days before the test and miss bubbled my LG and missed 12 in a row, and today where I guessed 50/50'd on 6 and 1/5'd 3 more).

Is there any reasoning behind canceling my score for this test considering I've used all my eligibility for this cycle? I'm leaning toward just seeing how I guessed. I'd like to hear some different opinions.

FYI - My PT average over the last 15 PTs was a 165 (range of 162-169). I'm thinking best case for this test is a 162 with a generous curve.
Keep the score. The 8 point difference between your guestimate and your 2 actual tests is worth the wait. You can always petition a school to let you sit for a 4th test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

korealize

New

Post by korealize » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

I scored a 157 in June 09; 161 in Sep 09. I was scoring 166-170 through all PTs throughout. Then this test fucking came along, where I got the experimental LG and real LG in a row, respectively before and after the break, where I wasn't allowed to 'leave the building' for a cigarette (which I planned to not quit right before the LSAT for the mental stability reason). Petty excuses aside, I definitely bombed the real LG while crushing the experimental (I swore to myself that there was no way that the stained glass section was not the experimental). I didn't even answer 8 of the questions and the time screwed me hard; I normally ace or get a max of -3 on LGs.

Does this constitute my 'max' 3rd LSAT (what's the cycle rule implied early in the thread?), meaning I shouldn't cancel no matter what? I feel I did reasonably well on all of the other sections, but I would definitely take the chance to cancel and retake.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:47 pm

as soon as you signed in it counts towards the 3 times in 2 years. If you know you bombed it, and scored lower than your previoius lsat high- then cancel. If you think you did great on the other sections, and can overcoem the 1 bad one, then keep it. How does your 161 and gpa look at the schools you are interested in? if its competitive ( near the medians) then cancel and keep it. If its still not good enough, keep it.

best of luck, hope this helps

NYCcops

New

Post by NYCcops » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:50 pm

I got a 165 on october LSAT and am applying to Columbia and NYU. I wanted to raise it to a 170, but I will absolutely cancel todays test. This was almost like a totally different test from october. The LG was twice as hard. Even the LR was much more difficult. I thought the second LR section was very tough. And the RC just kicked me right in my nuts. Usually I browse the RC section before starting and determine the order form easiest to most difficult. However, today all of the 4 texts were just ridiculously hard. The easiest was the one about the two different methods of testing rock ages or whatever, and that would have been the most difficult question in october!!!

So, what gives? Why did they make this test so much more difficult??
Last edited by NYCcops on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubbles87

New

Post by bubbles87 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:51 pm

hey, this is my first post..so go easy on me.
i canceled my first LSAT in September of 2009. i simply had not prepared enough to take it and missed the date to postpone. i had taken a class but had not taken it seriously at all...(i didn't do any practice tests or homework). i just took a class and took almost all the practice tests it offered..(around 12)...i also did most of the homework. i scored anywhere between 157-168 on the practice tests. today i took the december test and all was going well until the LG section that was scored. i def let it get to my head and did not think clearly. i know that i could have done MUCH better as most of my answers were guesses. i really would like to score somewhere in the high 160's to low 170's. i don't think that i achieved that score on this test. im also thinking that i may have even hit the 150 range.

so is it better to cancel? and have 2 canceled scores? and then re-take it in Feb or June....or is it better to let it be and see what i get (which is potentially LOW) and then take it again if need be?

i kind of need my addendum for my grades though. i got a 3.65 (LSAC adjusted...is really a 3.74). i got a couple terrible grades my freshmen year and then all A's (one B) the rest of my time in college.

should i cancel? in my heart it feels like i should but i dont want my addendum to be full of excuses...you know?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYCcops

New

Post by NYCcops » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Honestly man I am of the opinion that you should cancel. Today's test was the most difficult LSAT in a long, long, long time and you should just hit the refresh button and look forward to destroying the february LSAT.

korealize

New

Post by korealize » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:54 pm

northwood wrote:as soon as you signed in it counts towards the 3 times in 2 years. If you know you bombed it, and scored lower than your previoius lsat high- then cancel. If you think you did great on the other sections, and can overcoem the 1 bad one, then keep it. How does your 161 and gpa look at the schools you are interested in? if its competitive ( near the medians) then cancel and keep it. If its still not good enough, keep it.

I'm aiming for a 20-30s school due to the cynicism of the shitty job market. My GPA and 161 is good enough for a 33% chance at like UW-Madison and small chances at Fordham etc.
So does that mean I can retake it in June '11, or do I have to wait 'til October?

cmaas

Bronze

Post by cmaas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:56 pm

I got a 165 in Oct. (not good, hence the retake). I feel like a did terribly on this one as well. I can't be sure that I did worse, but there is a good chance that I did. You think I should cancel or take my chances?

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:56 pm

This is my 3rd shot, 120 or 180, or anything in between I don't care not going to cancel, there is a legitimate shot of a 170 for me albeit somewhat bleak. 164+ and I'll be fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:01 pm

korealize wrote:
northwood wrote:as soon as you signed in it counts towards the 3 times in 2 years. If you know you bombed it, and scored lower than your previoius lsat high- then cancel. If you think you did great on the other sections, and can overcoem the 1 bad one, then keep it. How does your 161 and gpa look at the schools you are interested in? if its competitive ( near the medians) then cancel and keep it. If its still not good enough, keep it.

I'm aiming for a 20-30s school due to the cynicism of the shitty job market. My GPA and 161 is good enough for a 33% chance at like UW-Madison and small chances at Fordham etc.
So does that mean I can retake it in June '11, or do I have to wait 'til October?
If you take the test in June, you will be applying next cycle. February is the cut off test, and in my opinion even then its really late.

If you are going to re take, take it in june and then use the summer to get your applications ready. There have been some people getting accepted to wisconson with a 161. If you do decide to wait another cycle, get your LORS sent out now( so you dont have to worry about thembegin late)

SageD

New

Post by SageD » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:02 pm

I used to have a lot of trouble with the LG, but then I hit a breakthrough and rattled of three pretty great test-condition PTs (180-175-177) and a bunch of one-at-a-time sections consistent with those results.

For today's test I'm pretty sure I'm a -1 on LR-LR-RC combined, but I absolutely folded during "stained glass" and "conferences" and guessed on 10 LG questions.

So, best case scenario I'm still well blow my PT average. I know I'll still get a decent score, but I feel like waiting another year is probably worth not ruling out T6.

I'm 99% sure I'm cancelling, and like you suggest, I'll decide for sure by tonight. Anyone want to try and talk me out of it at the last minute?

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:02 pm

poi wrote:Games killed me, probably missed 10+ on games alone. At my worst (including the dino LG section) I never miss more than 4. I average a 174 on PT's. This is my second time taking it, canceled in October even though retrospectively Oct was much easier than today. Cancel?
+1

After going through the LG Bible and about 30 PTs I never had to guess on an entire game. I canceled in October as well and today's exam was more difficult (at least LG). I was averaging PTs in 170s. I finished all other sections but had to guess on 5 or 6 today on LG. I am applying this cycle and am now expecting 164-168.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:04 pm

cmaas wrote:I got a 165 in Oct. (not good, hence the retake). I feel like a did terribly on this one as well. I can't be sure that I did worse, but there is a good chance that I did. You think I should cancel or take my chances?

What was your pt average for the last few tests? If it was 170+ then I would let it ride. If you were PTing around 165-168, id cancel. Did you not finish any section? how many guesses did you have? Was there any passage or games that you just totally guessed on?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:05 pm

jazzmastersc wrote:
poi wrote:Games killed me, probably missed 10+ on games alone. At my worst (including the dino LG section) I never miss more than 4. I average a 174 on PT's. This is my second time taking it, canceled in October even though retrospectively Oct was much easier than today. Cancel?
+1

After going through the LG Bible and about 30 PTs I never had to guess on an entire game. I canceled in October as well and today's exam was more difficult (at least LG). I was averaging PTs in 170s. I finished all other sections but had to guess on 5 or 6 today on LG. I am applying this cycle and am now expecting 164-168.

keep the score. With one cancel you need to post a number. Worst case scenario is you get your scores, and re take in june and apply next cycle. best of luck. Im sure you scored pretty well.

cmaas

Bronze

Post by cmaas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:08 pm

northwood wrote:
cmaas wrote:I got a 165 in Oct. (not good, hence the retake). I feel like a did terribly on this one as well. I can't be sure that I did worse, but there is a good chance that I did. You think I should cancel or take my chances?

What was your pt average for the last few tests? If it was 170+ then I would let it ride. If you were PTing around 165-168, id cancel. Did you not finish any section? how many guesses did you have? Was there any passage or games that you just totally guessed on?
Yeah, I probably guessed like 4-5 on LGs (ironically I probably guessed on more in Oct...not all LGs). That was what really hurt me. My Pts were like 166-169. How much do you think it hurts to have a score that is a couple pts worse?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:10 pm

its not good to have a score thats worse the second time around. its much harder to explain, and makes your first score look like an outlier.

since you were pting around 166-169, id keep the 165 and apply away.

cmaas

Bronze

Post by cmaas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:12 pm

northwood wrote:its not good to have a score thats worse the second time around. its much harder to explain, and makes your first score look like an outlier.

since you were pting around 166-169, id keep the 165 and apply away.
With a 3.7, 165 URM, you think I can get into UCLA. I know that URM doesn't count as much at UCLA....

Thanks for all the help, btw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”