Cancelling the LSAT

flyingatoms

Re: Cancelling the December LSAT

Postby flyingatoms » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:50 am

northwood wrote:
flyingatoms wrote:My first post, sorry I'm writing a lot.

I took the June LSAT; had been scoring high 150's on PTs till I started addressing the LR issues I was having so things were looking better. I knew I'd have to retake (before even taking that test) because I was consistently doing better on my PTs & PowerScore Supplement book. I just needed more time as I got a late start in studying; week and a half before the test, had my identity stolen & lost daysssss from that which really sucked. Haven't had much luck with that LOL

Registered in Oct, was a no-show because missed cancelation deadline. So December was my last hope to at least get or break 160 (though I will say I think I can do much better than this if I had more time to study/didn't have to work full time). Anyway took the exam this past Saturday - and guess what happened about one and a half weeks before? My identity stolen - AGAIN. Once again nonsense for days, police statement, changing cards, crying, flipping out, etc. Anyway don't think things were going that badly in the 1st part before break (RC-LR-RC-LG-LR); after the break was on my 1st game when I wanted to vomit from anxiety. Second game didn't pay attention to the time, and nearly flipped out & cried when 5-min warning was called when I was still only on 3rd game. This doesn't happen to me! I usually kill games. I can take this test every week & not get tripped up...well, can't say that anymore.

History of my tests - I usually get 7-8 wrong on RC; I've gotten much better with LR but scores are all over (up, down, no real average #); LG is my strongest, usually don't get more than 1 wrong. That's always been consistent--till June (f'd up a game & panicked=screwed up the next one, got like 7-8 wrong which never happens). Thought I'd redeem myself this time. Ha! I think (no wait..I hope) that I did okay with the first 3 games even though I hear the last one was easy (I'm pissed because I hadn't looked at it till I had less than a minute left & guessed on all but 1 or 2 which is a lot for me).

I am applying for Fall admittance though I still want to take in Feb or June if I see that I can substantially increase my score (which I honestly think I could do). My question here is, if I want to take it in Feb or June if for no other reason than to see if I can pull that score up drastically - is it a good idea to take also in case I'd like to transfer if I don't get into the schools I want?? At the end of the day I want to know that I put in lots of time studying even with a full time work schedule and getting my identity stolen repeatedly (4x total since May, by the way) and was able to get the score I know I'm capable of. Also, am I correct that schools don't consider anything past December for the next Fall start?

Any thoughts? I know I wrote a lot & I apologize for that everyone! Thanks so much for reading, hope i can get some opinions.... Northwood you seem nice and your answers to others so far are helping me. Anyone else feel free to respond just please don't yell at me for the long-ass comment ;-)

Do you have a score allready? If you do, then cancelling is an option, if you dont, then keep the score. The reasoning behind it, is that you want to have something instead of an absence, cancel, cancel. However, its up to you. Personally, I would keep it, so you can have a good idea of where your weaknesses are. It sounds like you hvae allready done some studying. However, you did get sick, and lost concentration on half of the test. So cancelling would be a decent idea- especially if you have a score on your record allready. The feb test is the last test that admissions people will look at if you want to start in fall 2011. Dont go to lawschool thinking to transfer. You have to be in teh top 20 or better (depernds on the school, the lower ranked, the better you need to be) to have a shot. Even then, its very unpredictable, from what ive seen on the threads. Only go to a school you would be happy graduating from. If you were to re take, I would say take it in June. You need some time to get yourself together ( identity speaking), work on controlling your nerves, and practicing some more. Hope this helps! best of luck

Thanks for your response-actually I didn't really get sick sorry i was just being dramatic about the games part! :) I think I did ok on first half of the test; also think i did okay on 2-3 games (assuming i didn't get any wrong of the ones I answered but with those games I just cannot be as sure as I usually am). My "optimism" lies w/ the fact that i completed the first 3 after spending so much time on them; however only answered 1 or 2 on 4th game, with confidence before filling in bubbles on the rest when out of time.

I do have a score but it's 153 (yikes! 56th percentile but not at all what I'd expected) and I think that on this exam I may have gotten either just around the same or possibly around almost at or up to 160 - it can go either way at this point. I felt good about the first RC and first LR & if I don't get as many wrong this LG than in June when I freaked out on a game, I stand a better chance of being almost at 160. The problem is that I wanted to break 160 & I'm reasonably confident I can do that or better. I'm not delusional about any of this, I just don't immediately test well but when I get used to a system of testing (like LSAT) I tend to get substantially better as I practice, judging by all my PTs & other sections. Just need more study time. I think keeping my current score is a risk I'm willing to take because I don't expect it to be as low as my first one.

So based on my 153 do you agree it's worth risking keeping the score? It's not like I could have done worse (bite my tongue!) - I think that if/when I start consistently breaking 160 on the PTs, that will determine when I take my 3rd exam. That being said you are right about taking it after really practicing a lot more, etc. I'd like to be considered for better schools which is why I feel the urgency to take it in Feb. Maybe I should just study my ass off from now till Feb., take if i'm breaking 160 but otherwise not take & wait till June. i didn't realize schools will still look at the Feb. score but it's frustrating because I don't know for sure if I'll be scoring my best by Feb....and now reading your response about transferring, I'd rather get the best score possible -that way even if I attempt transfer at least I'll have the score (& hopefully the grades) with which to be considered. In the meantime I'll choose a school I'd still be happy graduating from... more thoughts?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:46 pm

if you are sure you did better this time around, keep the score. otherwise cancel. Wait until you are scoring consistently in the mid 160s ( 163ish) to take it again/ or take it by october. People have a natural ceiling, and it doesnt make sense to study for this thing for years.Either you have it to go to law school, or its not for you. I think you will be just fine, but why keep studying? look at the schools median test scores, to help you decide what your target score should be. You will be fine. Aim for June and take it then. ( that should give you enough time to study and practice) Take 5 section prep tests and drill question types you get wrong. best of luck

salleythan

Postby salleythan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:44 pm

I have an absence from last year (wasn't prepared and didn't show up bc it was too late to cancel) and now I am still debating whether to cancel or not. I'm kind of wondering from peoples' experience generally how many tests it takes to stabilize a score. I only really took 5 pts and started scoring at the low 160s to the mid 160s by the last couple pts and am wondering how accurate of an indicator 5 exams is.

On the actual day, I was really pressed for time and completely bombed the games like I've never done before and had to rush through the ends of sections. Do schools generally look poorly upon a score that is in the 150s followed by a score in the 160s. Is it better to wait, take a gamble and hope that the next exam as significantly better after more practice tests and prepping? It would mean an absence-cancel for me (if i canceled). I feel like going to law school depends significantly on my score and whether I can get into cali schools (ie loyola (averages lsat), usc would be a reach). So is it worth it to wait and keep the score and possibly see that I did very poorly or, just decently, maybe 161 162 163 tops if I'm lucky..? Or do you prep by taking more exams and retake in hopes of a much better score?! Any thoughts and ideas? Thank you so much, its so sincerely appreciated.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 pm

if you scored significantly higher on your second test than your first, schools will want to know why. with more 5 section prep tests you gain a better idea of timing and stamina, and learn how to overcome bad sections/ get a feel for when a section is treating you roughly, and how to respond to it. When do you want to go to law school? Are you okay with re taking? Sounds like with more prep you can increase your score from mid 160s to maybe the 170s. Id strongly consider re taking the test. As for keeping the score or now, its up to you. Sounds like you had a bad test day experience ( bombing a section, and rushing to complete= a bad expereince, and possibly a lower score than what you expect). You have until the end of business tomorrow to fax in your score cancel.

If you keep the score, their will be a chance that it may be low enough to make getting into the school that averages a long shot. If you cancel, you willl have an absence and a cancel. If you think that you scored within your pt range- keep it. If notm, cancel. Either way, you still have 2 more times to take the test. Do you know where your weaknesses are? I would strongly suggest some more prep materials and do 10 more full length prep tests. That will help you get the score you want or need.

salleythan

Postby salleythan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 pm

northwood wrote:if you scored significantly higher on your second test than your first, schools will want to know why. with more 5 section prep tests you gain a better idea of timing and stamina, and learn how to overcome bad sections/ get a feel for when a section is treating you roughly, and how to respond to it. When do you want to go to law school? Are you okay with re taking? Sounds like with more prep you can increase your score from mid 160s to maybe the 170s. Id strongly consider re taking the test. As for keeping the score or now, its up to you. Sounds like you had a bad test day experience ( bombing a section, and rushing to complete= a bad expereince, and possibly a lower score than what you expect). You have until the end of business tomorrow to fax in your score cancel.

If you keep the score, their will be a chance that it may be low enough to make getting into the school that averages a long shot. If you cancel, you willl have an absence and a cancel. If you think that you scored within your pt range- keep it. If notm, cancel. Either way, you still have 2 more times to take the test. Do you know where your weaknesses are? I would strongly suggest some more prep materials and do 10 more full length prep tests. That will help you get the score you want or need.

My weak sections are Reading. With Logical Reasoning sections, sometimes I do well and sometimes do more poorly than I think I did, but will usually average out between the two sections. I just have no idea how to gauge my performance from last December, besides for the fact that I def could barely do the other two games and had to guess on many questions (all d's).

I was hoping to apply this cycle, and I'm not sure that I would be willing to spend the time and money to go to law school unless it were at least a school like loyola which is my target school. I can definitely wait and think longer and harder about whether it's right for me. Loyola may take the higher score with an addendum but no guarantees. I am definitely planning on re-taking the exam because I felt like this was not acceptable and I would hope to do much better the second time. I can try to apply this year and see what happens, but it's just a matter of if I want a not so great score on my file.

Thank you so much for your insight and help.

barklm

Postby barklm » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:36 pm

I've been agonizing over whether to cancel all week. I went in with the flu but was feeling pretty confident regardless. The first three sections I felt confident during and was very relaxed come break time. (But who knows? In practice tests I often did worse in LR and RC than I anticipated.)

Then came section 4 - LG - and I was dead in the water. Typically I get no worse than -1 on LG and I ended up guessing on a handful (maybe four or five?) which is something I've never had to do before because I ran out of time. It was incredibly disappointing; I don't even know how I did on the ones I was able to answer in time. In section 5 - LR - I was shaken during the beginning and don't know how much I was affected by my earlier disgraceful performance.

On practice tests I was scoring a consistent 165-167. I have a 3.9 GPA, a few years of work experience, membership in some various groups, and a story. This was my first time taking the LSAT and I'm applying for fall 2011 and am not in a position to wait another cycle. What's the best thing to do here? Potentially eat a terrible score or cancel and hope for the best come February? I know my chances will be diminished at many schools but options seem limited right now. (If I did end up with a horrible score I would hold off on applications and re-test in February anyways.)

What are the odds that you did as horribly as you're making it out in your head? Probably a silly question but I've been pulling my hair out enough all week trying to figure that out that I just wanted to get another opinion on the matter. ^_^
Last edited by barklm on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:37 pm

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/default.aspx

To everyone: read the post "Jerry Garcia on admissions."

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:46 am

[quote="barklm"]I've been agonizing over whether to cancel all week. I went in with the flu but was feeling pretty confident regardless. The first three sections I felt confident during and was very relaxed come break time. (But who knows? In practice tests I often did worse in LR and RC than I anticipated.)

Then came section 4 - LG - and I was dead in the water. Typically I get no worse than -1 on LG and I ended up guessing on a handful (maybe four or five?) which is something I've never had to do before because I ran out of time. It was incredibly disappointing; I don't even know how I did on the ones I was able to answer in time. In section 5 - LR - I was shaken during the beginning and don't know how much I was affected by my earlier disgraceful performance.

On practice tests I was scoring a consistent 165-167. I have a 3.9 GPA, a few years of work experience, membership in some various groups, and a story. This was my first time taking the LSAT and I'm applying for fall 2011 and am not in a position to wait another cycle. What's the best thing to do here? Potentially eat a terrible score or cancel and hope for the best come February? I know my chances will be diminished at many schools but options seem limited right now. (If I did end up with a horrible score I would hold off on applications and re-test in February anyways.)

What are the odds that you did as horribly as you're making it out in your head? Probably a silly question but I've been pulling my hair out enough all week trying to figure that out that I just wanted to get another opinion on the matter. ^_^[/quoteI

If you are going to apply this cycle, you should keep the score regardless. Send in you application as soon as you get your score. If you are unhappy with the performance, sign up for february, and tell the schools to hold off reviewing until you get your feb score. Chances are good that you performed below your average, as you were sick and section 4 put you through the ringer, which affected you on section 5. When you get your score, drill the question types you got wrong, and get a hold of a good RC strategy book to help you with that section. Generally, your instincts on how you did are very good right after the test, because its still fresh and your performance on each section is still fresh in your mind. But there are always exceptions to this rule. hopefully you did better than you thought.

I would say that you should wait a cycle, and apply early, as your gpa and a solid lsat will get you into a lot more schools, and with money. But you are not in a position to do so, and that wont cut it. So you need to apply as soon as possible, and tell them to hold off on a decision until you get your latest lsat score. That way they have your application, and only need the score report to go complete. It will put you in line a head of everyone else who will be applying after february's lsat. best of luck

ren2011

Postby ren2011 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 am

Dunno if anyone's said this, but props to Northwood for being the Cancel Guru.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:52 am

haha thanks. im no guru, im just here to sooth ruffled feathers.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:53 am

Lassie is a helpful dog as well as a helpful LSAT councilor.

flyingatoms

Postby flyingatoms » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:58 am

northwood wrote:if you are sure you did better this time around, keep the score. otherwise cancel. Wait until you are scoring consistently in the mid 160s ( 163ish) to take it again/ or take it by october. People have a natural ceiling, and it doesnt make sense to study for this thing for years.Either you have it to go to law school, or its not for you. I think you will be just fine, but why keep studying? look at the schools median test scores, to help you decide what your target score should be. You will be fine. Aim for June and take it then. ( that should give you enough time to study and practice) Take 5 section prep tests and drill question types you get wrong. best of luck

Thanks so much! :) I appreciate the feedback. Yes at a certain point I'll hit my limit, but my score for now is increasing - it's because I panic under the pressure of exams like this & the more used to them I get, the better I get at taking them. It's a weird thing with me that my mind gets clearer as I go - it's also frightening. LOL Thanks again!!!

SageD

Postby SageD » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Well, I received my cancellation confirmation today. For better or worse, I'm pushing my hopes to February or June.

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:46 pm

I unfortunately had to cancel twice. Yes, I know this looks bad and the decision has already been made. How do I explain this. The first time I did not feel prepared and the second time I had dysentary after a 24 hour bus ride(serving in Peace corps). It sucks because I am a strong candidate. Emory grad. 3.7 GPA with Peace corps experience and working for a human rights NGO abroad and I have to explain this rather large blemish on my application. Also, I am not a really good test taker. I got a 26(cancelled once) on my ACT but i got into to all of the schools i applied to many of which their average test scores were 30-31. I am awaiting the december scores and i expect low 150s--bombed reading comprehension. Is there any coming back from this?

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:35 pm

bbermud wrote:I am awaiting the december scores and i expect low 150s--bombed reading comprehension. Is there any coming back from this?

Wait until you get an actual score and then ask again. RC accounts for only 1/4th (okay, more like 26.5% on PS 62) of the questions on the exam. Maybe you did better than you think.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:08 am

bbermud wrote:I unfortunately had to cancel twice. Yes, I know this looks bad and the decision has already been made. How do I explain this. The first time I did not feel prepared and the second time I had dysentary after a 24 hour bus ride(serving in Peace corps). It sucks because I am a strong candidate. Emory grad. 3.7 GPA with Peace corps experience and working for a human rights NGO abroad and I have to explain this rather large blemish on my application. Also, I am not a really good test taker. I got a 26(cancelled once) on my ACT but i got into to all of the schools i applied to many of which their average test scores were 30-31. I am awaiting the december scores and i expect low 150s--bombed reading comprehension. Is there any coming back from this?

with 2 cancels and this tes- ytou will have to petition a school to let you take it again unless its been more than 2 years since your first cancel.Like the poster above said, you need to see what your score is before making a decision. I would strongly suggest waiting it out then making a decision.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:29 am

bbermud wrote:I unfortunately had to cancel twice. Yes, I know this looks bad and the decision has already been made. How do I explain this. The first time I did not feel prepared and the second time I had dysentary after a 24 hour bus ride(serving in Peace corps). It sucks because I am a strong candidate. Emory grad. 3.7 GPA with Peace corps experience and working for a human rights NGO abroad and I have to explain this rather large blemish on my application. Also, I am not a really good test taker. I got a 26(cancelled once) on my ACT but i got into to all of the schools i applied to many of which their average test scores were 30-31. I am awaiting the december scores and i expect low 150s--bombed reading comprehension. Is there any coming back from this?

you used up all of your three tries, therefore have to petition and re-take. Its a must for you!

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:01 am

sorry. i should have clarified that i intend just to use my results as is from the december LSAT. i do not plan on canceling. i just don't know what to say to potential schools and reach schools that doesnt make me seem completely incompetent. is there any recovering from something like to get into law schools?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:35 pm

bbermud wrote:sorry. i should have clarified that i intend just to use my results as is from the december LSAT. i do not plan on canceling. i just don't know what to say to potential schools and reach schools that doesnt make me seem completely incompetent. is there any recovering from something like to get into law schools?

You have to re-take the test

barklm

Postby barklm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:35 pm

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for the advice I received! I decided to follow it, and I'm glad that I did. I just got my score back and I scored exactly where I had been during the practice tests that I did despite having the flu.

Thanks for keeping my head on straight and being perfectly honest and blunt with me!!

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:41 pm

cheers and congrats! I really hope it all worked out for everyone. cheers! ( just be safe celebrating tonight and this weekend!!)

Jerkovsky

Postby Jerkovsky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

I also want to add a thank you note to this thread. I walked out of the test thinking I seriously fucked up because I ran out of time on LG and ready to cancel, and now, thanks to your positive encouragement, I am a proud owner of a 178!

I owe you BIG time.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 pm

i didnt do anything- you did all of the work. congrats! and enjoy the law school of your dreams with a nice sholarship to boot!

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 pm

170, thank u for convincing me not to cancel Northwood.

I would have been disappointed with this score a few months ago. But given the cirumstances, I'm pretty happy.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:02 am

I cancelled. Is there a way to see what score I could've gotten?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”