northwood wrote:flyingatoms wrote:My first post, sorry I'm writing a lot.
I took the June LSAT; had been scoring high 150's on PTs till I started addressing the LR issues I was having so things were looking better. I knew I'd have to retake (before even taking that test) because I was consistently doing better on my PTs & PowerScore Supplement book. I just needed more time as I got a late start in studying; week and a half before the test, had my identity stolen & lost daysssss from that which really sucked. Haven't had much luck with that LOL
Registered in Oct, was a no-show because missed cancelation deadline. So December was my last hope to at least get or break 160 (though I will say I think I can do much better than this if I had more time to study/didn't have to work full time). Anyway took the exam this past Saturday - and guess what happened about one and a half weeks before? My identity stolen - AGAIN. Once again nonsense for days, police statement, changing cards, crying, flipping out, etc. Anyway don't think things were going that badly in the 1st part before break (RC-LR-RC-LG-LR); after the break was on my 1st game when I wanted to vomit from anxiety. Second game didn't pay attention to the time, and nearly flipped out & cried when 5-min warning was called when I was still only on 3rd game. This doesn't happen to me! I usually kill games. I can take this test every week & not get tripped up...well, can't say that anymore.
History of my tests - I usually get 7-8 wrong on RC; I've gotten much better with LR but scores are all over (up, down, no real average #); LG is my strongest, usually don't get more than 1 wrong. That's always been consistent--till June (f'd up a game & panicked=screwed up the next one, got like 7-8 wrong which never happens). Thought I'd redeem myself this time. Ha! I think (no wait..I hope) that I did okay with the first 3 games even though I hear the last one was easy (I'm pissed because I hadn't looked at it till I had less than a minute left & guessed on all but 1 or 2 which is a lot for me).
I am applying for Fall admittance though I still want to take in Feb or June if I see that I can substantially increase my score (which I honestly think I could do). My question here is, if I want to take it in Feb or June if for no other reason than to see if I can pull that score up drastically - is it a good idea to take also in case I'd like to transfer if I don't get into the schools I want?? At the end of the day I want to know that I put in lots of time studying even with a full time work schedule and getting my identity stolen repeatedly (4x total since May, by the way) and was able to get the score I know I'm capable of. Also, am I correct that schools don't consider anything past December for the next Fall start?
Any thoughts? I know I wrote a lot & I apologize for that everyone! Thanks so much for reading, hope i can get some opinions.... Northwood you seem nice and your answers to others so far are helping me. Anyone else feel free to respond just please don't yell at me for the long-ass comment
Do you have a score allready? If you do, then cancelling is an option, if you dont, then keep the score. The reasoning behind it, is that you want to have something instead of an absence, cancel, cancel. However, its up to you. Personally, I would keep it, so you can have a good idea of where your weaknesses are. It sounds like you hvae allready done some studying. However, you did get sick, and lost concentration on half of the test. So cancelling would be a decent idea- especially if you have a score on your record allready. The feb test is the last test that admissions people will look at if you want to start in fall 2011. Dont go to lawschool thinking to transfer. You have to be in teh top 20 or better (depernds on the school, the lower ranked, the better you need to be) to have a shot. Even then, its very unpredictable, from what ive seen on the threads. Only go to a school you would be happy graduating from. If you were to re take, I would say take it in June. You need some time to get yourself together ( identity speaking), work on controlling your nerves, and practicing some more. Hope this helps! best of luck
Thanks for your response-actually I didn't really get sick sorry i was just being dramatic about the games part! I think I did ok on first half of the test; also think i did okay on 2-3 games (assuming i didn't get any wrong of the ones I answered but with those games I just cannot be as sure as I usually am). My "optimism" lies w/ the fact that i completed the first 3 after spending so much time on them; however only answered 1 or 2 on 4th game, with confidence before filling in bubbles on the rest when out of time.
I do have a score but it's 153 (yikes! 56th percentile but not at all what I'd expected) and I think that on this exam I may have gotten either just around the same or possibly around almost at or up to 160 - it can go either way at this point. I felt good about the first RC and first LR & if I don't get as many wrong this LG than in June when I freaked out on a game, I stand a better chance of being almost at 160. The problem is that I wanted to break 160 & I'm reasonably confident I can do that or better. I'm not delusional about any of this, I just don't immediately test well but when I get used to a system of testing (like LSAT) I tend to get substantially better as I practice, judging by all my PTs & other sections. Just need more study time. I think keeping my current score is a risk I'm willing to take because I don't expect it to be as low as my first one.
So based on my 153 do you agree it's worth risking keeping the score? It's not like I could have done worse (bite my tongue!) - I think that if/when I start consistently breaking 160 on the PTs, that will determine when I take my 3rd exam. That being said you are right about taking it after really practicing a lot more, etc. I'd like to be considered for better schools which is why I feel the urgency to take it in Feb. Maybe I should just study my ass off from now till Feb., take if i'm breaking 160 but otherwise not take & wait till June. i didn't realize schools will still look at the Feb. score but it's frustrating because I don't know for sure if I'll be scoring my best by Feb....and now reading your response about transferring, I'd rather get the best score possible -that way even if I attempt transfer at least I'll have the score (& hopefully the grades) with which to be considered. In the meantime I'll choose a school I'd still be happy graduating from... more thoughts?